Analysis Swans midfielders we need more

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn't win a flag with plugger in the side do you still think it was a fail :)?

Different era, different contract list, different implications on and off the field

He lifted a side that was a consistent spoon contender

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Well I feel that this squad can win a flag in 2015 but the way we are playing right now we can't. I see massive flaws in the Swans game plan and I want to see them corrected.

Going along same old same old annoys the hell out of me as I know it will be enough to get us to the finals, possibly in the top 4 but it will not be enough to win the flag and if you can't win the flag then it is time the coach rethinks his entire strategy. Longmire is not the coach just to get us into finals, he is the coach to help us win grand finals.

Thats what makes 2014 even more disappointing really we had all the stars aligned and blew it.

But onwards i doubt many thought at the half way point we would win the flag in 2012 either.

Personally, I don't expect anything. I just like to enjoy the weekly games and see what happens. Flags are great and we have been lucky enough to see 2 of them.

I agree

But i did not enjoy the effort on the weekend at all

Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
I agree

But i did not enjoy the effort on the weekend at all

I enjoyed the first half and didn't enjoy the 2nd half.

Overall though I am not enjoying the footy anything like I used to. I mean from the middle 70's to the late 90's. Maybe there is too much media or too much exposure to it all. It was a weekend thing back then and banter on mondays. Now it's always there and level of hatred seems personal, far more than I can remember.

Maybe I should just log off and turn off the media. But footy is like a drug.

Last edited:

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trust me its better having your like button removed than having a permanent Richard Simmons avatar.

Consider yourself fortunate.
A poster from the SFA board didn't follow the "no girls in bikinis" avatar rule and got stuck with Christopher Pyne as his avatar for 3 weeks hahaah

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
A poster from the SFA board didn't follow the "no girls in bikinis" avatar rule and got stuck with Christopher Pyne as his avatar for 3 weeks hahaah

They only have themselves to blame, anyway this is not the place to discuss moderator actions.

clivus

Debutant
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Celtics, Tottenham
Play Jack and McGlynn up front. They seem to be able to kick goals. The only players on the teAm who can hit targets are Jetta, McVeigh and buddy. The much praised mids just rack up possessions.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Play Jack and McGlynn up front. They seem to be able to kick goals. The only players on the teAm who can hit targets are Jetta, McVeigh and buddy. The much praised mids just rack up possessions.

this has been my view for two seasons. Jetta's kick to buddy in the first quarter was a kick to advantage that only he mcveigh or buddy can do with any consistency.

kennedy used to be able to hit players but never seems to any more and hanners and parker are get it forward at all costs types. Goodes on the other hand i think probably used to have the ability but certainly doesnt anymore and he has got to stop trying cutesy dinky passes and just kick the goal.

Our midfield has simply got to start using the ball with precision or winning it a lot. I've said elsewhere that our current team has to win 55-60% of contests to win the game because of the quality of ball use. We either start winning lots of contests or we will come back to the field with our skills pretty quickly.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Probably a bit too much of this and that thrown around as we usually do after a loss. Sort of happens when you become accustomed to winning so much. We are afterall the most consistent team of the last 15 years and have the 2nd best win record after Geelong. Since 2010 I think we've come to expect a lot from the team and it's a little unreasonable to expect such ridiculously high consistency from our players all the time. 2013 was unfortunate because of injuries and we were looking good for patches during the season. We really should have thumped Hawthorn last year and this year who knows.

It's pretty easy to talk about Kennedy and Jack, but their roles have changed with the emergence of Parker, as well as the role change of McGlynn, Hanners, Goodes, McPointy and Jetta.

But I am a realist and when I watch a game I see issues. I saw the midfield disappear in the 3rd quarter. They stopped running both ways, and never had the same urgency that they had in the first half. Bizarre umpiring aside that destroyed momentum either way, we couldn't get it inside 50 to our advantage, nor could we score when we had it in there. Maybe it's fatigue, but it shouldn't be considering we just came off the bye.

Bye results tend to be aberrations more than anything else, so I personally hope that it's just that - an aberration.

Probably a bit too much of this and that thrown around as we usually do after a loss. Sort of happens when you become accustomed to winning so much. We are afterall the most consistent team of the last 15 years and have the 2nd best win record after Geelong. Since 2010 I think we've come to expect a lot from the team and it's a little unreasonable to expect such ridiculously high consistency from our players all the time. 2013 was unfortunate because of injuries and we were looking good for patches during the season. We really should have thumped Hawthorn last year and this year who knows.

It's pretty easy to talk about Kennedy and Jack, but their roles have changed with the emergence of Parker, as well as the role change of McGlynn, Hanners, Goodes, McPointy and Jetta.

But I am a realist and when I watch a game I see issues. I saw the midfield disappear in the 3rd quarter. They stopped running both ways, and never had the same urgency that they had in the first half. Bizarre umpiring aside that destroyed momentum either way, we couldn't get it inside 50 to our advantage, nor could we score when we had it in there. Maybe it's fatigue, but it shouldn't be considering we just came off the bye.

Bye results tend to be aberrations more than anything else, so I personally hope that it's just that - an aberration.

Congrats on defeating roby

Kicking skills and pace is not there but they are very hard working group most of the time.

Thats what shits me though when they stop working or appear to stop working

Remove this Banner Ad

Back