2nds Swans Reserves 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Grim, from what I saw Saturday I agree with your thumbnail of Rose. Just seemed to have the skills and footy smarts to make it at senior level.

I was also very impressed with Newman, composed with ball in hand, good decisions. Have you seen him play live and do you agree with me that he seems likely to step up?

Hewett was of course as good as the regular ressie watchers have been saying.
I have no doubt that Newman could play seniors just needs an opportunity. They've been slowing building up his fitness over the past 6 weeks. Started with a half of NEAFL, then three quarters then full game but starting off the bench and now looks to be in full swing

I have no doubt that Newman could play seniors just needs an opportunity. They've been slowing building up his fitness over the past 6 weeks. Started with a half of NEAFL, then three quarters then full game but starting off the bench and now looks to be in full swing
how he defensively though?

I can't see Horse blooding any more reserves this year unless we hit a bunch of injuries. Almost half way through the year and 27 players fielded to date (or thereabouts). Seems about the right number to give a balance of backup and sufficient experience as we settle the team towards September. BJ might get another go, Bird probably will, Heeney definitely will. Robinson may play a few more. Just possible there could be some resting if we are sitting high towards the end of the year but it's not really Horse's style.

I can't see Horse blooding any more reserves this year unless we hit a bunch of injuries. Almost half way through the year and 27 players fielded to date (or thereabouts). Seems about the right number to give a balance of backup and sufficient experience as we settle the team towards September. BJ might get another go, Bird probably will, Heeney definitely will. Robinson may play a few more. Just possible there could be some resting if we are sitting high towards the end of the year but it's not really Horse's style.
We seem to have a few revolving through to keep them fresh and give them some exposure.

Lloyd, Cunningham, Towers, Robinson and (Jack... first reserve reserve).

Lloyd is more permanent for now, but Heeney will put pressure back on him.

ROUND 9 NEAFL MVP VOTES VOTES

Sydney Swans v Gold Coast

7: Craig Bird (Sydney)
7: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
6: George Hewett (Sydney)
4: James Rose (Sydney)
3: Jack Leslie (Gold Coast)
2: Tyrone Downie (Gold Coast)
1: Zac Smith (Gold Coast)

ROUND 9 NEAFL MVP VOTES VOTES

Sydney Swans v Gold Coast

7: Craig Bird (Sydney)
7: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
6: George Hewett (Sydney)
4: James Rose (Sydney)
3: Jack Leslie (Gold Coast)
2: Tyrone Downie (Gold Coast)
1: Zac Smith (Gold Coast)
Thanks Grim. Bird continues to dominate the reserves but he seems to be suffering the same fate as Mitchell earlier, i.e., a log jam for the inside mid position. Will need to either i) wait for Mitchell to be injured or ii) push for a spot in another position. Still, he's key depth in our midfield and that may prove a life-saver if we get injuries. He obviously wants to get back into the seniors and is prepared to do the work. Good to see BJ still working at it. I feel for the guy. Hewitt also looks a likely type.

We seem to have a few revolving through to keep them fresh and give them some exposure.

Lloyd, Cunningham, Towers, Robinson and (Jack... first reserve reserve).

Lloyd is more permanent for now, but Heeney will put pressure back on him.
Was forgetting Towers. When Heeney comes back there's going to be some real pressure on places forward. Goodes playing well is likely to keep Towers out.

Was forgetting Towers. When Heeney comes back there's going to be some real pressure on places forward. Goodes playing well is likely to keep Towers out.

It is just wrong mentioning Goodes and Towers in the same sentence.

Grim, from what I saw Saturday I agree with your thumbnail of Rose. Just seemed to have the skills and footy smarts to make it at senior level.

I was also very impressed with Newman, composed with ball in hand, good decisions. Have you seen him play live and do you agree with me that he seems likely to step up?

Hewett was of course as good as the regular ressie watchers have been saying.
How did Jake Veale go on debut, kicked a goal and his numbers looked ok?

Eastlake 5.6 36 Swans 14.17 101

EASTLAKE

Goal Kickers: S. Darcy , S. Jensen , S. Camp , D. Biermann , A. Bruce
Best Players: , B. Dowdell , T. Highmore , N. Pleming , A. Bruce , B. Halse , D. DeGois
SYDNEY SWANS

Goal Kickers: C. Bird 3, S. McLaren 2, B. Jack 2, A. Davis 2, D. Towers 2, J. Foote , H. Marsh , T. Derickx
Best Players: , D. Towers , J. Foote , H. Marsh , G. Hewett , C. Bird , X. Richards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

State league affiliate: Sydney Swans (NEAFL)
This weekend: Eastlake v Sydney Swans - Saturday June 13, 12pm, StarTrack Oval

Dean Towers was the star for the Swans as they romped home in the second half to beat Eastlake by 65 points in Canberra.

Playing as a high half-forward, Towers finished with 26 possessions, 16 marks and two goals as the Swans' best player.

"Dean was really impressive leading up the ground and he used the ball well going inside 50," coach Marty Mattner told AFL.com.au.

"He's had a great few weeks in the NEAFL team so hopefully he gets his chance at AFL level in the next couple of weeks."

Others to impress for the Swans were midfielders George Hewett (30 possessions) and Craig Bird (31 and three goals) and full-back Xavier Richards.

My understanding is that he was recruited as a backman. I'd like to see him at least trialled there.
He was tried there the first few weeks in his Swans career and was, to put in mildly, horrible. Hence he was moved forward where he was much more successful (at NEAFL level)

Hi all,

How's Aliir Aliir coming along? Developing well? Hoping to see him in the firsts soon! I know this is only his second year of devlopment at Sydney, but I'd love to hear any updates.

Cheers!

Hi all,

How's Aliir Aliir coming along? Developing well? Hoping to see him in the firsts soon! I know this is only his second year of devlopment at Sydney, but I'd love to hear any updates.

Cheers!

I went along to watch the ressies game yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised by Allir Allir. Spurred on by some family or friends (There were a handful of them that went out to the huddle to say hello at 1/4 time to him), he had a really decent game.

Spent most of the first half playing as a loose man in defence, and generally did the role well. He is nimble for a big fella, decent below his knees, and has surprising evasive powers for a big guy. A lovely piece of play was when he collected a ball from near his feet, then evaded 3 or 4 players in tight congestion, before disposing cleanly to a teammate with a 25 metre kick.

He had a good game I thought, and is developing quite nicely, but still quite a way off the 1sts. I think he can make it though given time, I am starting to see the potential the recruiters saw in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back