2nds Swans Reserves 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there an open spot on the seniors list through a LTI or otherwise for Newman to be promoted to?
After Round 11 all clubs can promote a rookie to the senior list without a corresponding LTI placement but subject to TPP (known as the nominated rookie rule)

Can't see us bothering with upgrading him at this point, only 6 weeks left and if we were going to drop a defender we would have done it weeks ago. Should get a promotion at the end of the season though as Shaw won't go on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least bedford won't get cranky because no-one posted the score :D

SYDNEY SWANS
Goal Kickers: L. Perris 2, D. Towers 2, D. Robinson , S. Wilson , D. Baron-Hay , A. Davis , J. Hiscox , Z. Jones
Best Players: , D. Robinson , Z. Jones , A. Aliir , L. Perris , S. McLaren , H. Marsh

SYDNEY SWANS
Goal Kickers: L. Perris 2, D. Towers 2, D. Robinson , S. Wilson , D. Baron-Hay , A. Davis , J. Hiscox , Z. Jones
Best Players: , D. Robinson , Z. Jones , A. Aliir , L. Perris , S. McLaren , H. Marsh
Yeah, but who were REALLY the best players Grim?

Yeah, but who were REALLY the best players Grim?
Robinson easily my best. Perris was awesome in the first half. Jones looked good in the midfield. Aliir looked impressive in the leaping he had to do in the ruck but I'm always concerned by the amount of space he leaves his opponent when playing in defence

I thought Rose was very good despite only 11 disposals. The little things he can do in traffic is impressive. McLaren battled hard as the number one ruck in the first half but didn't do much as a forward. Marsh playing tall probably earned him a vote

Naismith threw his weight around and was on top in the tap work. Hopefully he gets fit because we may need him come finals time. Towers had a heap of it early on but his kicking and decision making is awful. A lot of the time he will blindly throw it on the boot. No surprise he finished with 2 goals 6 behinds

A very comfortable victory for the ressies this afternoon, and if it wasn't for a gobsmackingly inaccurate conversion rate the margin should have been closer to triple digits than the eventual 45 points. While it was quite windy in the first quarter it had settled down enough in the 2nd quarter for it not to be a factor but the Swans kicked an atrocious 1.9 and the Lions weren't much better with 3 behinds. Many of the culprits were listed players whose skills and experience should have served them better as we moved the ball forward. Perhaps not having a decent tall target to aim for caused much of the wastefulness in front of goal. And while I don't like badmouthing the opposition, some of the Lions' skill errors today would have drive their coach Shane Woewodin up the wall - kicking straight to the opposition, kicking to the man on the mark, handballs to the feet of teammates etc.

The Lions had roughly as many disposals as the Swans in the first half and finished the game 19 ahead of us but trailed badly in the Inside 50 count. Their propensity to attempt switches of play in their defensive half was their own undoing with their poor kicking skills, the windy conditions combined with some excellent Swans pressure creating plenty of turnovers and subsequently plenty of scoring shots (which we didn't fully capitalise on). The Lions were a improved side in the 2nd half and were competitive enough to only lose the half by 3 points, with both sides kicking 5 goals apiece. Some strong forward play by experienced AFL players Brent Staker and Luke McGuane against an inexperienced defence created many of their scoring opportunities.

James Rose had quite low numbers today with only 11 disposals 2 marks and a solitary tackle but he played a lot better than the numbers would seem to suggest. His evasive work in traffic is a highlight and there were a couple of nearly marks where he just failed to hang onto some contested marks at a second or third grab. Defensively he works hard as well and caused many of the Brisbane defensive turnovers.

Abe Davis spent the majority of the first half as a inside midfielder providing a big body in the middle to support the smaller frames of Lloyd Perris, Dan Robinson and George Hewett. He had plenty of the ball in the first quarter including kicking a long goal, as well as shepherding Baron-Hay's solitary goal in the 2nd quarter. In the second half he was moved to defence where he played a key position role against McGuane and Staker. This was done to allow Aliir Aliir a few runs in the ruck as a chop out to the returning Sam Naismith who only entered the game at half time but immediately made his presence felt not only with his taps going directly down the throats of our midfielders but also throwing his big frame around when competing for the disputed ball.

This was the first time I've seen Allir in the ruck and his leaps at the centre bounces were very impressive with his spring and hang time, dare I say it, Nic Nat-esque. I wasn't so enamoured with some of his defensive work, I still think he plays too loose when marking a key forward and at times picks the wrong moments to peel/zone off , not impacting the play and allowing his man an easy mark. Sean McLaren was used as the primary ruckman in the first half

Perris was amazing in the first quarter with his enthusiastic defensive work around our half forward area very encouraging to the rest of his teammates. I don't remember seeing him in the last quarter so he may have been rested then. Robinson and Hewett were our two workhorses in the middle with their quick hands shoveling the ball out of the middle critical to our success. The difference between the two however is that Robinson also presented himself as an outside option whilst Hewett's work seemed to be done once he had performed his inside midfield duties. This versatility will hold young Robinson in good stead in the coaches' opinions.

Dean Towers looked lively across half forward getting plenty of the football and taking some nice marks when allowed to run and jump at the incoming ball. However he was very wasteful with his kicking and decision making and finished with a very inaccurate 2 goals 6 behinds. I am of the firm belief his kicking is very ordinary, unable to generate much power or penetration with the conventional drop punt and has to resort to strange around the body kicks or up and unders with the result that his shot at goals are often offline or his delivery into the forward line haphazard at times and not to the advantage of his forwards. Jack Hiscox was also similarly frustrating with a haul of 1 goal 3 behinds, Hiscox often looks exciting breaking away into space but the end product, especially with his kicking requires a lot of practice and development.

In defence, Nic Newman often found himself as the loose man in defence when the Lions dropped one back themselves. He definitely prefers the use of his trusty left boot over his hands, with 19 of his 21 disposals today being kicks but today wasn't as accurate in the past few weeks. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and blame the gusty breeze. However, I'm not sure he is the long term successor to Rhyce Shaw as some have been promulgating in recent weeks - not because I don't think he will make it (I think he will) but he isn't the run and carry type that Shaw has been performing for us since his arrival in Sydney.

Harrison Marsh played as a key back in Xavier Richards' absence and wasn't really troubled by any of the Lions forwards, did some good work as the third man in as well.

We have the bye next week before playing the Suns Reserves as the curtain raiser to the Collingwood game.

Swans 4.8 5.17 8.20 10.26 (86)
Lions 0.2 0.5 2.9 5.11 (41)

Just realised I missed Zak Jones in that report. He played mostly in the midfield and was his usual energetic self. What really sticks out about his game is the effectiveness of his tackles. He almost takes it as an affront that a player tries to evade or wriggle their way out of his tackle attempts, and in response he will make sure he sticks the tackles and creates a stoppage or a spillage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back