Roast Swans set to renew contracts at BOTH SCG and ANZ Stadium

Should we keep playing home games at ANZ Stadium?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no way I'm driving a total of 6+ hours to watch a game of footy.

**** Canberra unless we get a ridiculous amount of money like a million dollars for the game they can get stuffed.

If we end up playing games in Canberra again, I can promise you that it won't be because we've sold a game. It will be because some other club has sold THEIR home game, and as such, we will have to simply pack up and go wherever we're scheduled. Bad luck to our Melbourne members though, if they lose more games as a result (as has happened before)

Interesting comments from Gillon on OTC Mon. Seems to agree with my point regarding future proofing. And setting up a more ambitious vision for AR in NSW.

With Swans now recording 39k members and GWS a club record 13k I feel a truly Sydney blockbuster on the cards one day soonish.

I've always said the problem with getting bumper crowds at ANZ was the lack of a hometown rival with 20k+ fans.

Bookmark it. This will be like Carl v Coll in ten years. And there is no way we should be playing at Spotless or the SCG when that happens.

If we end up playing games in Canberra again, I can promise you that it won't be because we've sold a game. It will be because some other club has sold THEIR home game, and as such, we will have to simply pack up and go wherever we're scheduled. Bad luck to our Melbourne members though, if they lose more games as a result (as has happened before)

If we get any less than 5 games in Melbourne I'll seriously lose my s**t. Ideally the club should be doing their best to guarantee us 6.

If we get any less than 5 games in Melbourne I'll seriously lose my s**t. Ideally the club should be doing their best to guarantee us 6.

Yep. I agree with this. Even half the games we get are compromised. Entry subject to availability and ticketed games etc. If Docklands or Kardinia Park can't fit a crowd in games should simply be shifted to where they can. We have to play games out at ANZ for that reason. Same should apply in Melbourne.

Yep. I agree with this. Even half the games we get are compromised. Entry subject to availability and ticketed games etc. If Docklands or Kardinia Park can't fit a crowd in games should simply be shifted to where they can. We have to play games out at ANZ for that reason. Same should apply in Melbourne.

Would absolutely love it if all our games were at the MCG, unfortunately with teams such as Essendon having agreements with Etihad stadium and Collingwood having nearly the entire MCG under reserved seating it is going to be highly unlikely we will get 5 uncompromised games in Melbourne.

I can live with only 5 or games in Melbourne if it meant we had two games in Queensland, Perth, Adelaide and our away game to GWS, But if we play an Victorian team in Tasmainia, New Zealand, Alice Springs or Canberra and this stops us from getting 6 games in Victoria that is when I will be getting angry about our fixture to the AFL.

If someone tries to sell their games to Canberra or wherever and we are the team they try to play there it will be very disappointing.

What if it were two games per year - both local derbys?
The problem is that GWS have about 6 - 8K fans in Sydney.
A derby that more than half fills ANZ is a long way away.
If the AFL wants games there as part of a deal that keeps it available for finals, then take GWS out of Canberra and have them play Swans, Hawks, Cats or Pies there.

CBD light rail will soon service the SCG - the NSW Government $1.6Bill project has expected completion from 2019-20.

This revolutionizes spectator access to our spiritual home. The SCG capacity should be expanded, again.

The Swans admin should lock in games, especially finals, from 2019 onwards.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Source: NSW Government, July 2014
TRANSFORMING SYDNEY: CBD AND SOUTH EAST LIGHT RAIL
Construction on the CBD and South East Light Rail is set to begin with the awarding of the first major contract for the $1.6 billion project.
Laing Rourke Construction Australia has been appointed Managing Contractor to carry out up to $45 million worth of essential early works to prepare the way for major construction of the light rail to begin next year.
The CBD and South East Light Rail project will transform the future of transport in Sydney, deliver over $4 billion worth of economic benefits and create 10,000 jobs.
It will link Circular Quay and Central, the Moore Park sporting and entertainment precinct including the Sydney Cricket Ground and Allianz Stadium, Royal Randwick Racecourse, the University of NSW and Prince of Wales Hospital at Randwick.
Keeping Sydney open for business during construction of the light rail is a priority and we will continue to work collaboratively with businesses, councils and local communities to deliver the project successfully. The service is expected to be open and operational in 2019 or 2020.

CBD light rail will soon service the SCG - the NSW Government $1.6Bill project has expected completion from 2019-20.

This revolutionizes spectator access to our spiritual home. The SCG capacity should be expanded, again.

The Swans admin should lock in games, especially finals, from 2019 onwards.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Source: NSW Government, July 2014
TRANSFORMING SYDNEY: CBD AND SOUTH EAST LIGHT RAIL
Construction on the CBD and South East Light Rail is set to begin with the awarding of the first major contract for the $1.6 billion project.
Laing Rourke Construction Australia has been appointed Managing Contractor to carry out up to $45 million worth of essential early works to prepare the way for major construction of the light rail to begin next year.
The CBD and South East Light Rail project will transform the future of transport in Sydney, deliver over $4 billion worth of economic benefits and create 10,000 jobs.
It will link Circular Quay and Central, the Moore Park sporting and entertainment precinct including the Sydney Cricket Ground and Allianz Stadium, Royal Randwick Racecourse, the University of NSW and Prince of Wales Hospital at Randwick.
Keeping Sydney open for business during construction of the light rail is a priority and we will continue to work collaboratively with businesses, councils and local communities to deliver the project successfully. The service is expected to be open and operational in 2019 or 2020.

All good. We've needed the light rail for decades. :thumbsu:

Stage three for the SCG will likely bring capacity in at around 55k. That should be a long way off though. The SCG trust is more interested in revamping Allianz currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An agreement was signed by the NSW government when ANZ was built to lock capacity of other stadiums in the sydney basin to no more than 48,000. 35 year contract....

Yeesh. Does that mean stage 3 for the scg is 16 years off?

20 years off. ANZ opened in 1999 so that means they are 15 years into the 35 year contract, but I doubt Stage 3 waits THAT long

Hope not.

I was just working from TheMase's 48k cap figure. We're pretty much there. Can't believe stage 3 could proceed without adding capacity....unless the plan is just a refit keeping approx. the same capacity.

ANZ will be an oval with a roof by then.

I am sure I saw somewhere that the long term plan would see a 56-58k stadium in time.

From what I have googled the agreement was signed in 1996 and ends in 2031. It includes no other stadia to be built over 35k in the west as well.

Some info here including a video.
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=82275

Last edited:
What I really want is one of those light roofs to be built over the SCG. Not a big heavy duty one like Edihad but one that is built out of lighter materials that can keep the rain off. I know that such roofs for stadiums exist.

What I really want is one of those light roofs to be built over the SCG. Not a big heavy duty one like Edihad but one that is built out of lighter materials that can keep the rain off. I know that such roofs for stadiums exist.
I am not sure one could be built over the SCG gives the way the stadium is designed, heritage buildings etc

I am not sure one could be built over the SCG gives the way the stadium is designed, heritage buildings etc

Is the foundations for that sort of roof connected to the actual stadium though or is all the support structure for those sort of roofs outside of the stadium? Given how the SCG is built a heavy duty roof is not possible but I think one that they are planning to build on ANZ Stadium would be possible.

I'd love a roof. But it won't happen at the scg ever. Cricket stadia demand wind corridors. Hence everyone getting wet in the new stand when it rains and the wind blows.

The footy stadium next door will get one exactly like you're talking about, though.

ANZ's will likely be half way between etihad and the lightweight modern roofs like you see now at Twickenham etc.

Last edited:
Back