Roast Swans set to renew contracts at BOTH SCG and ANZ Stadium

Should we keep playing home games at ANZ Stadium?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The only game I've ever been to at ANZ with decent atmosphere was the Wallabies / Lions game last year. I hate the atmosphere of the place almost as much as I hate the bar queues.

Right now, ANZ is fine for length (160m) but it's width is Skilled like, and it's pockets need deepening. Right now it's actually 3m wider than skilled (118m). This can be changed with ground upgrades quite easily.
Really? The upper levels have to lean forward to see the near boundary line as it is. Any wider and you won't be able to see play there at all.

Unless you think moving the main side stands is "easy"?

I am sure I saw somewhere that the long term plan would see a 56-58k stadium in time.

From what I have googled the agreement was signed in 1996 and ends in 2031. It includes no other stadia to be built over 35k in the west as well.

Some info here including a video.
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=82275
The restriction only applies to any stadium built with any government financial support, but the SCG obviously falls into that bucket.

Really? The upper levels have to lean forward to see the near boundary line as it is. Any wider and you won't be able to see play there at all.

Unless you think moving the main side stands is "easy"?

As I understand it the current movable stands will be redone. Currently in AFL configuration the sides roll back but leave the edges jutting out cutting off sight lines along the wings. They also force the pockets to be very shallow.

They'll be removed allowing a true oval.

As for views above, you could ne right. But I doubt it'll be any worse than Etihad. Can't see the sidelines at various places there either.

Last edited:
As a fan whose been going to games in Sydney for over 10 years but only trekking interstate the last couple, that MCG-wannabe joint ANZ is easily the worst ground in the AFL now that Footy Park in Adelaide is gone. Just doesn't feel like home in the same way the SCG does, a great place to watch footy like the MCG is and an appealing place to go to like Metricon Stadium is. I know some swans fans who don't bother going to games there, don't fancy a train ride through Kings Cross post 11pm on a Saturday night.

I do accept we need it in reserve because of cricket at the SCG so here's what we should do: Go back to 1 or 2 games there, only play Collingwood there if they're higher on the ladder and finals should depend on whom we're playing. Perhaps to boost attendances, we could have our home game v GWS there & give their members GA access as some rugby league clubs do with their games at ANZ and most Victorian clubs do with their away games in Melbourne.
Caroline Wilson said on 3aw (Footy Preview, 30/5/14) that Mike Fitzpatrick is on the board of the stadium and for some reason (most likely his ANZ board position) boycotts meetings between the Swans and the AFL to do with this discussion. If that's true, I would suggest we need to fix that, get him along to such meetings.

That's an ironic thing to say, as the construction of Stadium Australia was the spur for the MCG's own redevelopment.

No it wasn't. Hosting the 2006 Commonwealth Games, facilities that were 50 years of age in over half the ground and construction of Docklands Stadium and its up to date facilities were the reasons for the MCG redevelopment. But hey whats getting the story wrong about the wrong Stadium in the wrong State:drunk:

No it wasn't. Hosting the 2006 Commonwealth Games, facilities that were 50 years of age in over half the ground and construction of Docklands Stadium and its up to date facilities were the reasons for the MCG redevelopment. But hey whats getting the story wrong about the wrong Stadium in the wrong State:drunk:

Yes, it was.

In case you hadn't noticed, Stadium Australia competes with the MCG for international events. And the Commonwealth Games don't even compare to the Sydney Olympics as an event.

Yes, it was.

In case you hadn't noticed, Stadium Australia competes with the MCG for international events.

Oh you mean International events that the MCG beat Stadium Australia to hosting in the 1999 to 2002 period BEFORE the redevelopment. Oh right

But let's not forget the events in Melbourne lost to Docklands from the MCG in that same period. Mind equals blown Giant Dive

And the Commonwealth Games don't even compare to the Sydney Olympics as an event.

Not even comparing them, giving you the main reason for the redevelopment along with the construction of the Docklands as to why the MCG redevelopment took place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wondered about that - the goal square at the Randwick end looked like a threadbare carpet.

Has there been some other event there recently?

guess we have destroyed a lot of teams this the year, maybe it is taking its toll

word is some nuffy mixed up chemicals apparently they had to do a "turf resuscitation" and brought in experts from the Lake's to assist.
supposedly it was almost bare on the thursday morning and the team weren't allowed to train on it.

Trust has refused to confirm or deny.

word is some nuffy mixed up chemicals apparently they had to do a "turf resuscitation" and brought in experts from the Lake's to assist.
supposedly it was almost bare on the thursday morning and the team weren't allowed to train on it.

Trust has refused to confirm or deny.

That is just bizarrre, if it's true.

Remember the famous semi-final against the Cats? The ground was excessively watered beforehand for some unexplained reason and we were caught unprepared. Almost fatally.

Sometimes I wonder whose side the Trust is on.

I've been looking at the Sydney fixture and venues and all that and as we all know, ANZ as a stadium sucks. It's a crappy footy field. But it does hold 83,000 people. Which is awesome. Nearly double the SCG. This year at least we have had a total of 66,853 people into the games at ANZ stadium. Not enough to fill it. That's not good. We could be getting more fans into this venue and in turn making some more cash. On average we have had: 32,050 (rounding up) at the SCG. That is less than either game at ANZ. This shows people are willing to go to ANZ to watch footy. But still, ANZ is less than 50% full.

So what can we and the club do to make ANZ a better and viable stadium for Sydney? Do we try and make the field better? Have more games there? Play better there? Only play bigger clubs there? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
(Not sure on a Prefix for this one... first thread, not sure on the go)

No worries, I've merged your thread with this existing one, but I think the poll is a good idea, cheers!

I think the only way we'll ever fill it is for a home preliminary final - out of the three we have hosted there so far, the smallest crowd was 57,000 in 2012 against Collingwood.

No worries, I've merged your thread with this existing one, but I think the poll is a good idea, cheers!

I think the only way we'll ever fill it is for a home preliminary final - out of the three we have hosted there so far, the smallest crowd was 57,000 in 2012 against Collingwood.
Wondered what happened to it :p haha you're welcome :)

You think the stadium is just too big for Sydney to fill on a semi regular basis? I think if we could get at least 35,000-40,000 there for regular home and away matches it'd be good. 50-60,000 for bigger games against Hawks and Pies would be even better. BUt for some reason we don't get those numbers

You think the stadium is just too big for Sydney to fill on a semi regular basis? I think if we could get at least 35,000-40,000 there for regular home and away matches it'd be good. 50-60,000 for bigger games against Hawks and Pies would be even better. BUt for some reason we don't get those numbers

Crowds of more than 40,000 to home and away fixtures in Sydney aren't common in any of the football codes, but ANZ just isn't a popular venue among many Sydney supporters for a combination of reasons, there aren't many places to go nearby before and after the game, it's difficult to reach if you aren't close to a train line, and the SCG is better for AFL viewing. We basically play there for financial reasons as outlined earlier in this thread.

I know I am an opposition supporter but I grew up going to watch the footy at the SCG and was fortunate enough to play 2 TAC cup finals games there (RAMS 98) as curtain raisers to Swans Finals. The SCG is one of the best grounds in Australia for atmosphere and viewing. Nothing comperes to a packed SCG with fans screaming the roof off. The 40-50k you get at the SCG IMO is worth every part of 50-60 you MIGHT get at SA. I went last week v Carlton and really loved being back at the SCG for the first time in a number of years. Swans should play all their games including finals there. It is your HOME,

Back