News Swans Talk in the Media Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
A positive piece to start off, about our strong presence in the Riverina despite the region being allocated to GWS.

SYDNEY Swans chairman Andrew Pridham considers the Riverina a proud Swans region despite the invasion of rival AFL club Greater Western Sydney (GWS).

Just days after the Giants announced their plans for a Riverina Team of the Century gala event, Pridham was in Wagga as the special guest at the city's Sydney Swans Supporters Group's Christmas luncheon on Sunday.

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/s...strong-swans-territory-andrew-pridham/?cs=149

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
"Giants announced their plans for a Riverina Team of the Century gala event"

Sounds legit.

Indeed, can just see Paul Kelly, Brett Kirk, Dennis Carroll, Leo Barry, John Longmire and a few others jumping at the bit to don the GWS "Riverina Team of the Century" jumpers.....oh right I see what they are trying to do there

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Indeed, can just see Paul Kelly, Brett Kirk, Dennis Carroll, Leo Barry, John Longmire and a few others jumping at the bit to don the GWS "Riverina Team of the Century" jumpers.....oh right I see what they are trying to do there

I can't wait for them to nominate Wayne Carey. It will be hilarious.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
As AFL/Telstra have given control over to the clubs to produce their own website content, its up to the clubs to decide how much content they want to release to the public via the club website. The Swans release the least amount needed and aren't about to change to please the fans on that front because they know they can get away with it and they don't want to.

Sanecow

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure how many photos of dudes exercising without shirts we need to tide us over.

What I'd truly like is some genuine thoughts about the grand final that extend beyond "we didn't really try and we don't like to think about it because crying".

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As AFL/Telstra have given control over to the clubs to produce their own website content, its up to the clubs to decide how much content they want to release to the public via the club website. The Swans release the least amount needed and aren't about to change to please the fans on that front because they know they can get away with it and they don't want to.

Is it a budget thing?

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Sort of.

AFL funds the employment of someone to run the website and social media side of things for each club. Up to each club to then decide how big they want to have their media departments. Some invest well in their media departments such as Collingwood, Port, GWS and Norf while most like ourselves do the bare minimum for differing reasons.

We do enough to cut though on social media, get the stories we want told in the papers and put "news" out on the website but come the off season we seem to have more of an part time department thus the summer puff pieces on the club website (most done in a block and allow for minor edits when its time to publish). Of course they will pump out news like breaking 20,000 members and our profit yesterday, but to do a daily or even weekly training update would involve employing someone with coaching knowledge or interview one of the coaches so that it does read as a puff piece and I get the feeling the club doesn't want to reveal want it doesn't have to and spend that money when it could spend it on the football department.

The other factor is the high turnover in media departments at AFL clubs, this time of years most seem to be hiring, so the website could be someones second job not their first another factor to consider.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/na...rom-sydney-swans/story-fndv8pdq-1227161067816

The club’s recruiting team will next year turn its attention to luring his brother Zak, a second-year defender-midfielder from Sydney Swans, in a bid to unite the siblings at AAMI Park from 2016.
The speedy and hard-nosed ball-winner showed considerable promise breaking into a strong Sydney line-up to play four games in his first season.
The 181cm Dandenong Stingray was drafted to Sydney with pick No.15 and is contracted until the end of 2015.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
It won't be long into the year before we know if the club and Zac and sticking together beyond 2015. I'm done stressing about losing players who opt to leave. Hope he tells Melbourne to get knicked and finds his spot for us though.

Sydney with Shaw and McVeigh retiring are not giving away their only first round pick in the last 10 years that looks good! (FS's and academy not included). Melbourne would have to pay well over the odds meaning their first rounder.

Sydney with Shaw and McVeigh retiring are not giving away their only first round pick in the last 10 years that looks good! (FS's and academy not included). Melbourne would have to pay well over the odds meaning their first rounder.
I do agree but at the same time we're not heartless gits like Eddie. If he wanted to go then the club would make it so even if not at an inflated price.

I'd rather see us reverse engineer it and end up with two Jones...

I do agree but at the same time we're not heartless gits like Eddie. If he wanted to go then the club would make it so even if not at an inflated price.

I'd rather see us reverse engineer it and end up with two Jones...

In the end, we have to be smart. I am not adverse to trading him but I'm talking a top 10 pick or the equivalent. Any less and we keep him. That is not very unreasonable, especially when he is the heir replacement to those players.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Why would we want another first rounder anyway? We are in a premiership window and have enough good kids fighting for spots especially after this year with Mills and Dunkley.
Dees can suck it, all of a sudden they think by resigning an above average midfielder they become an appealing destination for recruits, not likely.
What's Zac going to rather, win flags or get embarrassed and pumped for years with his brother?

Why would we want another first rounder anyway? We are in a premiership window and have enough good kids fighting for spots especially after this year with Mills and Dunkley.
Dees can suck it, all of a sudden they think by resigning an above average midfielder they become an appealing destination for recruits, not likely.
What's Zac going to rather, win flags or get embarrassed and pumped for years with his brother?

I agree, but if he wanted to go, so long as we get above market value I won't hold it against him. For the record I am against trading him period. We need him going forward.

McVeigh is 29 ( 30 in April ) and is signed till 2017 so is not finishing up just yet.

He will replace Shaw this year imo

Last edited:
McVeigh is 29 ( 30 in April ) and is signed till 2017 so is not finishing up just yet

Maybe but we have seen it happen time and time again, once a player hits 31-32 it can happen quickly. Jones is a tough nut, we need him going forward. Also I see him potentially as a tagger and heaven knows Horse needs to lets just say swallow his pride and play one!

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree, but if he wanted to go, so long as we get above market value I won't hold it against him. For the record I am against trading him period. We need him going forward.
I'm not happy with market value I want overs for him or send him to the PSD where the Saints would get him! We need to show that kids can't just up and leave when they want.

I think we both agree except I don't think the club would be unwilling to let him go if he wanted out at or above market value. Even slightly under... If a player doesn't want to play for your club and is desperate to play with another club (i.e. to play a few games with big bro before he retires) then there's no point not making it happen. Even if it's a little under. In any event. We keep Jones and becomes a star is the option I like & want the club to make happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back