No Oppo Supporters Swans v Hawks - the thread where we let it all out (READ OP FIRST)

Remove this Banner Ad

The bottom line is a coach's reputation is as good as his last game or so.

Horse was coach of the year until 3 minutes after the first bounce.
Ken Hinkley was the coach of the year in my opinion. We lost to GWS in such a terrible fashion in round 1, we cant forget how bad that was. We are a very one trick side. Hardly coach of the year material. Not having a go at you by the way, I think Horse actually won the title.

I have know idea how they work out coach of the year you could make a case for hinkley clarko and horse.

With regards to hawks and especially this year they just seam to have awkward forward match ups for us which is compounded when we get thrashed in the midfield like the gf.

Imo the true test of longmire will come this season to see how the side is reshaped and how it responds.

I still think the lack of genuine small crumbing natural forwards is a concern. You only have to look at 12 gf and see mortons 2 oppotunist goals to see that. It's alright to have resting midfielders play down there but they don't offer that natural goalkicking ability like cyril, bruest, walters or Ballantyne.

The Hawk supporter is totally right Bungee. Look across our season, especially since about half way through and our average points against by any team. Then look at what Hawks did to us. If it were a graph it would look like two Mount Everests in the Himilaya.

Always dreaded meeting Hawthorn in the GF, felt like they had our measure in every game we had played recently. Feel the '12 grand final is glossing over some pretty average H&A/Finals games in the last year or so.

I think these Hawthorn people have some valid points.

I've written that outcome against Hawks this year will depend on the coaches box (not just Horse). When they beat us Sam Mitchell smashes us in clearances and the ball comes out to players with space. One hope is that Sam Mitchell slows as Tom Mitchell dominates (bit like Clarko waiting for Geelong to age as discussed above). The better strategy is to not allow the players out the back to have so much space!!!!

Have we gone from a team that dominates clearances to one that creates and benefits from turnovers? I think so. That game plan does not go so well with the Hawks. Plan B???

I think these Hawthorn people have some valid points.

I've written that outcome against Hawks this year will depend on the coaches box (not just Horse). When they beat us Sam Mitchell smashes us in clearances and the ball comes out to players with space. One hope is that Sam Mitchell slows as Tom Mitchell dominates (bit like Clarko waiting for Geelong to age as discussed above). The better strategy is to not allow the players out the back to have so much space!!!!

Have we gone from a team that dominates clearances to one that creates and benefits from turnovers? I think so. That game plan does not go so well with the Hawks. Plan B???

Thing i also noticed in 2014 and it wasn't just Hawthorn Port did it as well is teams are sharking Pyke taps very well resulting it going directly to a opposition mid.

Teams have caught on the Pyke, Kennedy combo so they look for Kennedy and intercept the tap.

Thing i also noticed in 2014 and it wasn't just Hawthorn Port did it as well is teams are sharking Pyke taps very well resulting it going directly to a opposition mid.

Teams have caught on the Pyke, Kennedy combo so they look for Kennedy and intercept the tap.

Which is again the fault of Longmire and the other mids for offering no real alternative for Pyke to tap to other than Kennedy.

Which is again the fault of Longmire and the other mids for offering no real alternative for Pyke to tap to other than Kennedy.

It's more the fact its one of our greatest strengths as well and Kennedy is really our sole extractor.

I remember in the mid 2000's we were Hawthorn bogey side we would routinely embarrass them especially at the SCG.

I don't know how much will change in 2015 but we might have to hope or ride out that they decline or someone else knocks them out i know it sounds dumb but some teams just have a stranglehold over you.

I remember in the mid 2000's we were Hawthorn bogey side we would routinely embarrass them especially at the SCG.

Yeah but they actually were s**t back then. That's how they netted the draft picks that landed them Roughead and Franklin in 2004, well that and Richmond being Richmond and picking Richard Tambling :D

Big call, Clarko is a ruthless bastard.

I repeat. We are not their Bitch nor will we be.

We had the same success against Hawks in 2012 that they had against us in 2014. One loss, one win and one thrashing where the other team were firm favourites.

Perhaps it's easier for some fans to label the Hawks a bogey side rather than face the fact that we simply played like the Horsham U13s in the GF. We'd have lost to North Melbourne playing like that. We were s**t after dominating North. They played their best after barely getting past Port on a dodgy umpiring decision.

I refuse to buy the bogey argument. When fans start becoming obsessed with one rival that obsession can too easily find its way into the team. Hawk fans made such a fuss of their constant humiliation by Geelong that they became a player and coaching bogey, a genuine hoodoo. Hawks are nowhere near that to us and we will should not let them win the mind game, for that is what the Hawks fans in this thread are doing. They are f..ing with our brains.

I would suggest that we should

i) Recognise that Horse knows a bit more about footy than we do and trust in a guy that's played 2GFs in 4 years of coaching plus given us a record number of wins in a season. He will adjust as he needs to take down the Hawks without sacrificing our ability to dominate pretty much every other team. It's not an easy thing to put the last block in place and it takes fine skill and deft handling, not the wholesale turnover of players some here imagine.

ii) Refuse to give any credence to claims by Hawks supporters that they have our measure. They (mostly) HAD our measure the last two years but this is a whole new season. See my previous post regarding how WC had our measure from 06 but soon we got on top and we stayed on top of them. Don't accept the status quo. Things change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Geelong Hawthorn Rivalry had everything to do with the cats being better than us. They knew how to win. Its their leaders that shone out everytime to overcome us. They also knew that we were buddy centric in attack and knew how to exploit our weaknesses in defence. There is nothing wrong with admitting that someone is better than you. Geelong were better than us. Even though i was on the receiving end of some of those losses they are still some of the best games of football i have seen.

Geelong reamed you constantly for 5 years. You are not better than us. The year is 2015 and we are the Sydney Swans. Who the f..k is Hawthorn ? Last year's model, that's who.

The Hawk supporter is totally right Bungee. Look across our season, especially since about half way through and our average points against by any team. Then look at what Hawks did to us. If it were a graph it would look like two Mount Everests in the Himilaya.

I disagree. Look across the 2012 season and the Hawks had the same peaks of disappointment, namely, getting thrashed in their own Tasmanian fortress and losing a GF where they were favourites. That didn't make us their bogey side. Their fans refused to buy any of that.

You're being sucked into what they want you to believe.

Since this is a thread that both Swans and Hawks fans go on and since I am sure for Hawks fans the pain of losing Buddy has died down I thought I would ask if anyone still finds looking at Buddy in a Swans guernsey to be really weird?

For me I thought I would get used to seeing Buddy in Swans colours but for some reason I just haven't yet. Every time I see him in Swans colours it just looks odd which is strange as I was used to seeing Rhyce Shaw or Mitch Morton in Swans colours after around 2 games.

Since this is a thread that both Swans and Hawks fans go on and since I am sure for Hawks fans the pain of losing Buddy has died down I thought I would ask if anyone still finds looking at Buddy in a Swans guernsey to be really weird?

For me I thought I would get used to seeing Buddy in Swans colours but for some reason I just haven't yet. Every time I see him in Swans colours it just looks odd which is strange as I was used to seeing Rhyce Shaw or Mitch Morton in Swans colours after around 2 games.

Not anymore his GF performance put everything to bed for me he has already brought into the club, tried everything to lift the team and to be quite honest i felt a bit sick when nobody went to remonstrate with Lake after his elbow drop.

I disagree. Look across the 2012 season and the Hawks had the same peaks of disappointment, namely, getting thrashed in their own Tasmanian fortress and losing a GF where they were favourites. That didn't make us their bogey side. Their fans refused to buy any of that.

You're being sucked into what they want you to believe.
They may not be a bogey side for us, but data is data. When I last looked which was so e months ago, I dont think any team in the AFL scored more than 65-75 odd on us. The only exception was the Hawks on multiple occassions. We just need to identify and learn from the pattern.

Nope, he looks really weird when I see old footage of him in piss and poo. Definitely fits well in our jersey.

Absolutely spot on post. I noticed last year that generally we where getting beaten in the clearances but where relying on our pressure to cause the opponent to make a mistake, then we would capitalise. To but it bluntly the hawks are a far too skilled team for that too work. To beat them you need to be first to the ball and have first use/ use it well.
I fear that if we do not change this gameplay we will not only not beat Hawthorne but struggle to beat any of the top sides.

Round 1 is still two months away and us and the hawks are at it already gonna be a fun year on big footy. Didn't realize how much they hate us until I had a sneaky look on their board.

Round 1 is still two months away and us and the hawks are at it already gonna be a fun year on big footy. Didn't realize how much they hate us until I had a sneaky look on their board.

More pricks than a cactus on the hawks board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back