No Oppo Supporters Swans v Hawks - the thread where we let it all out (READ OP FIRST)

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched the game again, to analyse it because of obvious reasons. But there was only ONE noticeable move for me throughout the game which was moving buddy up the ground... BUT JUST BECAUSED IT WORKED ONCE AGAINST FREO DOESN'T MEAN IT'LL WORK AGAIN. Besides that I don't think he changed bloody anything. But I am probably wrong. Also, I have already mentioned this, horse didn't have a plan 'B'.

Oh he put Rohan FF too...

With 5 mins left on the game. :oops:

Well, I have held my comment until this point.

Still pretty pissed off to be honest, could not believe what I was seeing. In other games we have been down, and at least some state of the game given some sort of yelp. But I just kept wanting it to come and waited I did, but they never showed.

For me, it was a double blow, as this is EXACTLY what my under 17 side did in their Preliminary Final this year (after finishing first). I sat there thinking myself, what the *, it is happening again!!

Now, in my opinion, my under 17s side underestimated the intensity the game would be played at, and quickly went into their shells. We then chased them around all day and got flogged (same margin! just noticed!). Worst loss of the season.

The first 5-10 minutes were okay, and then we seemed to lose dictation of the game and the Hawks, to their credit, never gave it back. It was almost like we threw a bit at them early was all we had, and then we seemed to give up. Our effort was non-existent, and the Hawks had all the time in the world to dispose of the ball and they made us pay. Where was the smothering effort of recent games, the relentless pressure??? They knew that is what was required to beat the Hawks elite skills so where the hell was is??? 57 tackles, what the hell??

We barely gave a whimper, which is undoubtedly what has hurt the most. Hawthorn are deserves Premiers and are a great team.
Next year we will either disintegrate or roll everyone, it will depend on how this group responds.
It was almost like they didn't believe the would, or could win the game!

In any case I think we need a key back, which could be Reid (or trade Reid in order to get a youngish (not draft) one). Ted needs to go the third tall now.
Mitchell to come in. I am hoping Goodes retires along with Shaw. I hope Malceski stays, but if he goes we move on and replace the older players on our list quite quickly, maybe too fast...

I am totally embarrassed by their performance, and I trust they are too. Let's hope it drives them to greater heights. At the very least it might help us keep them all under the salary cap...lol

First time at the MCG - what an amazing stadium.

I was sitting just below the screen with the loud hissing sound. Not a great way to start the game.

At half time I thought the Hawks will be exhausted and we might still have a chance. After a couple of goals I conceded defeat and went the the bar. I watched on a monitor the Langford goal bounce through over Grundy's head and burst into laughter. This game could not be any worse. I was overwhelmed with irony - it's supposed to be a game but there was only one team playing. I have a very black sense of humour so milked a few minutes of laughter over the horror that had unfolded.

In the fourth quarter I willed the guys to earn back some respect and win a quarter but they were too demoralised. This was very depressing.

That game was so long it enabled me to go through all the stages of grief.

I stayed for the presentations and gave them some mild clapping. We were both fairly hammered. I thought about our options including drinking more or going to bed but decided to get distracted by the concert and get at least some value from the day. I was determined to enjoy it and I actually did. Would recommend both Tom Jones or Ed Sherrin in concert (bizarre in combination). The thing that was really weird was that here was a bunch of supporters whose team had just won the Grand Final and they were the saddest bunch. I think they were being really nice by not gloating! (Thank goodness we weren't near that poor woman who wrote the SMH article). They may be a happy team at Hawthorn but they're not very happy supporters.

Still pretty pissed off to be honest, could not believe what I was seeing. In other games we have been down, and at least some state of the game given some sort of yelp. But I just kept wanting it to come and waited I did, but they never showed.

For me, it was a double blow, as this is EXACTLY what my under 17 side did in their Preliminary Final this year (after finishing first). I sat there thinking myself, what the ****, it is happening again!!

Now, in my opinion, my under 17s side underestimated the intensity the game would be played at, and quickly went into their shells. We then chased them around all day and got flogged (same margin! just noticed!). Worst loss of the season.

The first 5-10 minutes were okay, and then we seemed to lose dictation of the game and the Hawks, to their credit, never gave it back. It was almost like we threw a bit at them early was all we had, and then we seemed to give up. Our effort was non-existent, and the Hawks had all the time in the world to dispose of the ball and they made us pay. Where was the smothering effort of recent games, the relentless pressure??? They knew that is what was required to beat the Hawks elite skills so where the hell was is??? 57 tackles, what the hell??

We barely gave a whimper, which is undoubtedly what has hurt the most. Hawthorn are deserves Premiers and are a great team.
Next year we will either disintegrate or roll everyone, it will depend on how this group responds.

In any case I think we need a key back, which could be Reid (or trade Reid in order to get a youngish (not draft) one). Ted needs to go the third tall now.
Mitchell to come in. I am hoping Goodes retires along with Shaw. I hope Malceski stays, but if he goes we move on and replace the older players on our list quite quickly, maybe too fast...

I am totally embarrassed by their performance, and I trust they are too. Let's hope it drives them to greater heights. At the very least it might help us keep them all under the salary cap...lol

This is it we will either have a 19-20 win season and storm into another GF or finish with 13-14 mins and that will be the end for this group as a lack of KPD depth will get us eventually.

I think we can all agree that 1 flag from this era will be a terrible underachievement.

upload_2014-9-30_19-24-38.png

Ok, have been thinking of how we could be less prone to being burnt on the rebound by the daisy chain. What we really missed was effective target to kick to, for at least a contest so as to allow our runners to get through.

Above is how i'd set play. Have a 2 or three players at the 40m and 20m points in play (hopefully a tall, a roaming reid or buddy springs to mind) and 2-3 players 20-30m behind in case we get burnt (thinking a tight central defensive wall about 30-40m across). This allows for our runners to either run the wing or corridor to either be a link or help at the contest. Also nullifies the zonal system as they would be dragged to contest with the stationed targets up ahead, creating space for our runners.

This plan gives us a bit of flexibility

A) use the kick to 20m or 40m group, mark and reset
B) use runners to move the ball, using group 20-40m as overlap to open play
C) Kick to 20-40m group and use the runners to 'slingshot' from that point
D) Use the ball to daisy-chain to the 20m then 40m with the players behind the ball sweeping for the turnover

Thought of it at work today (gotta love hospitalities mindless tasks)

View attachment 83486

Ok, have been thinking of how we could be less prone to being burnt on the rebound by the daisy chain. What we really missed was effective target to kick to, for at least a contest so as to allow our runners to get through.

Above is how i'd set play. Have a 2 or three players at the 40m and 20m points in play (hopefully a tall, a roaming reid or buddy springs to mind) and 2-3 players 20-30m behind in case we get burnt (thinking a tight central defensive wall about 30-40m across). This allows for our runners to either run the wing or corridor to either be a link or help at the contest. Also nullifies the zonal system as they would be dragged to contest with the stationed targets up ahead, creating space for our runners.

This plan gives us a bit of flexibility

A) use the kick to 20m or 40m group, mark and reset
B) use runners to move the ball, using group 20-40m as overlap to open play
C) Kick to 20-40m group and use the runners to 'slingshot' from that point
D) Use the ball to daisy-chain to the 20m then 40m with the players behind the ball sweeping for the turnover

Thought of it at work today (gotta love hospitalities mindless tasks)

Now can you draw the weekends plan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game reminded me terribly of the game vs the Hawks at the SCG a few years ago where they dominated in a similar fashion. At that game I kept saying there goes another clearance. I was saying the same thing on Saturday. I do not understand how that game was not reviewed thoroughly last week and strategies discussed to stop it happening. It was a total replay of that game.

Now can you draw the weekends plan?

Which one? mine or the swans?

Mine:
upload_2014-9-30_19-48-17.jpeg
Swans:
images

Personally I think the less said about the game the better.

Feel the same way personally... it's going to be a long off season :(

Yes, I think they all lost a bit of currency, except Bud!:rolleyes:

For me, it was a double blow, as this is EXACTLY what my under 17 side did in their Preliminary Final this year (after finishing first). I sat there thinking myself, what the ****, it is happening again!!

Agree on Goodes and Shaw, probably best they go now. We need to get blokes like Jones and Biggs into the side, ditto Mitchell.

I'm out of patience with Reid as a forward as well. Either turn him into a backman or turn him loose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back