Sweet FA League Consultation: OPERATION OUTGOING

Remove this Banner Ad

League Adminstrator Okeydoke7 has today announced that each of the league's 12 clubs will be reviewed as part of a wide ranging review into operations within the Sweet FA.

Okeydoke7, who has previously announced that he will not be the league administrator beyond season 20, has released an agenda for elements of the league that he would like reviewed before he chooses the next administrator.

"There are a few things that have been on my mind lately that I would like to get sorted before I finish up in the role. I am very motivated to get through these points and go through the correct process to ensure that we get the best result."

The most sensational revelation from today's release of the agenda for "Operation Outgoing" is the fact that each of the league's 12 clubs will be subject to review. The controversial measure is sure to generate much debate further into Season 20.

"I won't get into too much detail yet. I have released the agenda today but we will work through each point systematically. The review of all 12 clubs will focus on the strength of the competition, team accountability and viability, and the discussion will all be about framework to monitor this. I have my own thoughts but I want to get to that later in the season. Let's get through the first agenda points and then focus on the teams when we are completely settled into the season."

OPERATION OUTGOING AGENDA

1) Sweet FA Hall of Fame: I propose a change in Hall of Fame induction rules. The HoF was created in Season 13 with 6 initial inductees and with the intention that 2 inductees would be included each season thereafter.

It is my contention that the Hall of Fame should remain and exclusive list of posters who have made extraordinary contributions to the league in the realms of posting and qooty. Though it is not a problem yet, I want to ensure that it never becomes a problem in the future (whereby the league considers inductees unworthy and, hence, the HoF loses all sense of importance/exclusivity).

The HoF should be the best of the best…As such I propose that the number of inductees should never surpass the amount of seasons that have been played (hence be reduced to one inductee per season instead of two).

2) League Awards: I would like to discuss whether or not we are satisfied with the league awards on offer and whether the names of the awards are in the best interests of the league. In particular, I would like to discuss the EKA (some propose a slight change in rules) and the TFLUA Tiger (some, including myself, intend that a name change could be in order).

3) Club Name Changes: I feel like the last time we had this debate, the vote was misinformed and the topic was miscommunicated. The last time this came up the decision was clearly based on a perception that there was a power-grab to stop a club or clubs from changing to a name or names. That's not the case.

My contention is that the league administrator should ALWAYS have final say on ANY changes to club names. The clubs are effectively "licenses" under the Sweet FA umbrella, and although their autonomy is to be respected, I believe that key changes such as this should ALWAYS be approved by the administrator first.

4) League activity/quality/number of teams/viability: Wide ranging discussion about where the league is at and how each of the 12 teams are travelling. This will involve discussion about how teams can be improved and what (if any) measures can be put in place to ensure that all clubs and the competition can thrive.

Most importantly,this discussion will aim to produce a framework with which we can accurately review each of the 12 clubs and assess where they are at, with a level of accountability.

5) New administrator: The league will be kept updated and the process will be as public as possible.

IMPORTANT: This thread will be used to consult the entire league on the big issues. For this thread to work effectively, and to help guide the committee and myself on any decisions, it is essential that the discussion follows a logical order.

I ask that we begin with discussion point 1, RE the HoF. Everyone is free to contribute their opinions.

This thread will be ongoing. We start with point 1. The league has their say. The committee discuss. I will make a final decision. This will be announced. Then we move onto Point 2. I will go into more detail on points 2 and 5 when I announce that they are up for discussion. The more systematic we are about this the sooner you can be rid of me and my long posts!

The intention of this agenda is ABSOLUTELY NOT to make radical change. I do not believe that radical change is needed. However, I would like the opportunity to canvas the league's opinions on a range of matters.

PVF - Hall of Famer

Make it happen.
Pfft get in line minnow.

But seriously, what are your thoughts on the issue at hand? Do you agree that the HoF structure should be changed and we should reduce it to 1 HoF inductee per season, effective immediately?

I don't see why the number of HOF inductees doesn't apply season by season. Nominees go up, the committee votes, if it's one or two comes down to who is up. In as soon as two to three seasons you'll see players from essentially S14-S17 become genuinely viable options and with the amount of players/teams we have now eventually we'd be going back to two anyway. So, why fix if it ain't broke? Don't have two if there isn't two, don't set a limit for when two plus are deserving.

Pfft get in line minnow.

But seriously, what are your thoughts on the issue at hand? Do you agree that the HoF structure should be changed and we should reduce it to 1 HoF inductee per season, effective immediately?
Actually I have some ideas that I shall run by you in PM at some stage in the next couple of days.

But yes I agree we should only induct one person per season. Maybe even chuck in some restrictions like they must have played atleast 100 games before even being considered.

Woh...

I was in the middle of typing this when this was posted.

Possible should be merged in here okeydoke7. :thumbsu:
I'll lock that thread for now just to maintain orderly discussion, but we can quote that post across as we bring up awards discussion very soon.

SFA is serious business

Pfft get in line minnow.

Don't bastardise the award for the sake of furthering it.

If there's nobody worthy of inclusion, leave as is.

I'll lock that thread for now just to maintain orderly discussion, but we can quote that post across as we bring up awards discussion very soon.

Media Award:

Every club encourages their posters, young and old, to get involved in the media threads whether it be creating them or posting in them. Despite media being the very essence of the league, there’s still yet to be a formal recognition to those who create such activity and interest within the league.

Separating TheMidRunner ’s Hotdog Stand and Danoz ’s Fire Sale from the likes of Uncle_Leo ’s Top 10s and okeydoke7 ’s Sweet FA Salaries, you can find some absolute masterpieces over the past 10 or so seasons since the introduction of the media aspect to the league began.

It’s time that the league formally recognises and actively encourages those who spend hours every week for the enjoyment of others.

While it may sound selfish to propose an award where it appears like I just want it to exist so I could potentially win it, that’s not at all what I’m getting at. I believe that in this milestone season for the league that we do everything we can to celebrate those that make this place an enjoyable and fun haven from the real world.

Even the BigFooty sewer has a Flog of the Year award and the graphic designs board has a thread of the year award for those that have contributed in totally differing ways.

Why should the SFA, a place built on media threads, miss out on acknowledging the good work done by many?

It’s time for the committee and okeydoke7 to discuss a potential addition to this season’s awards night.

Please discuss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see why the number of HOF inductees doesn't apply season by season. Nominees go up, the committee votes, if it's one or two comes down to who is up. In as soon as two to three seasons you'll see players from essentially S14-S17 become genuinely viable options and with the amount of players/teams we have now eventually we'd be going back to two anyway. So, why fix if it ain't broke? Don't have two if there isn't two, don't set a limit for when two plus are deserving.
Easier said than done. We showed the ability to restrain ourselves by not adding an immortal last season when we were entitled to. But this ability isn't always possible. If the option is still there to bring 2 in, the committee will often lean towards bringing 2 in when there's a hard decision to make.

I generally agree with the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. However, there are times when foreseeing future issues can prevent them. For example the simmer situation. It was a growing concern for a long long time and person after person (including myself) did not change the structure (mostly, for good reason). The result of the growing issue was growing unrest, which created a really negative experience for the simmer and for the team they played for (and against for that matter). It was just a really unfortunate situation which has now been resolved with a new structure.

My concern is that the Hall of Fame will increasingly become a popularity contest that measures what somebody has done in the last season or two only. My fear is that the Hall of Fame loses its exclusivity if we continuing allowing even UP TO 2 (rather than standard 2 per season). My worry is that rather than becoming a congratulation and acknowledgement of a long-term and above and beyond CAREER it become recognition of pretty bloody good posters over a lesser period and loses how special it was meant to be.

2 per season worked when we were playing catch up after 13 seasons of history, but I'm not sure that it works now. I want to make it bloody hard to get in. For the exceptional only. I'd like to think that I will be in the HoF at some stage, and this change may make that harder to achieve, but I still think that the change is needed sooner rather than later in order to ensure that the HoF remains exclusive and for the absolute best contributors only.

Easier said than done. We showed the ability to restrain ourselves by not adding an immortal last season when we were entitled to. But this ability isn't always possible. If the option is still there to bring 2 in, the committee will often lean towards bringing 2 in when there's a hard decision to make.

I generally agree with the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. However, there are times when foreseeing future issues can prevent them. For example the simmer situation. It was a growing concern for a long long time and person after person (including myself) did not change the structure (mostly, for good reason). The result of the growing issue was growing unrest, which created a really negative experience for the simmer and for the team they played for (and against for that matter). It was just a really unfortunate situation which has now been resolved with a new structure.

My concern is that the Hall of Fame will increasingly become a popularity contest that measures what somebody has done in the last season or two only. My fear is that the Hall of Fame loses its exclusivity if we continuing allowing even UP TO 2 (rather than standard 2 per season). My worry is that rather than becoming a congratulation and acknowledgement of a long-term and above and beyond CAREER it become recognition of pretty bloody good posters over a lesser period and loses how special it was meant to be.

2 per season worked when we were playing catch up after 13 seasons of history, but I'm not sure that it works now. I want to make it bloody hard to get in. For the exceptional only. I'd like to think that I will be in the HoF at some stage, and this change may make that harder to achieve, but I still think that the change is needed sooner rather than later in order to ensure that the HoF remains exclusive and for the absolute best contributors only.
Agree wholeheartedly with the entire premise of your post.

This. A couple of seasons ago people were nominating Eth as a candidate to go in and I don't even think he cracked 80 games yet nor had enough achievements under his belt to be even considered (in my opinion).

Even the BigFooty sewer has a Flog of the Year award

I didn't realise the Wonders ran that award - it'd be hotly contested I'd imagine

So just change it to one then.

You're gonna see two schools of argument here. Anybody up until S13-14 will likely support it outright. Anybody after may very well vote opposite because "their" hall of fame should be, arguably, represented by the posters and players they've seen as greats of the game. The league is still by and by very young and a school of argument may be that the HOF is being restricted to support the history only a small percentage of the leagues old heads were privy to. I don't know half of the HOF, I can't go and get videos of their greatest matches nor can I get my Daddy to tell me about the brilliant Qootyers he saw as a kid. Over half of your active Sweet FA players are in the same boat. So what are we gonna be, old men voting on inductees for the majority?

The 'it's a fantasy game' argument gets trotted out a lot, here it comes again. I don't think the sanctity of the HOF means as much to 95% of the league as it does to the other 5%, so again I say if it ain't broke, why fix it. You've got a real capacity here to leave a lasting legacy but unless you get an overwhelming level of support you're just going to see certain things overruled by the next admin or the next next admin.

So just change it to one then.

You're gonna see two schools of argument here. Anybody up until S13-14 will likely support it outright. Anybody after may very well vote opposite because "their" hall of fame should be, arguably, represented by the posters and players they've seen as greats of the game. The league is still by and by very young and a school of argument may be that the HOF is being restricted to support the history only a small percentage of the leagues old heads were privy to. I don't know half of the HOF, I can't go and get videos of their greatest matches nor can I get my Daddy to tell me about the brilliant Qootyers he saw as a kid. Over half of your active Sweet FA players are in the same boat. So what are we gonna be, old men voting on inductees for the majority?

The 'it's a fantasy game' argument gets trotted out a lot, here it comes again. I don't think the sanctity of the HOF means as much to 95% of the league as it does to the other 5%, so again I say if it ain't broke, why fix it. You've got a real capacity here to leave a lasting legacy but unless you get an overwhelming level of support you're just going to see certain things overruled by the next admin or the next next admin.

Personally I think we are getting pretty close to inducting players that have been around for a lot less time than some of the current inductees. And because we are catching up we can afford to slow it down as the league inducts some of the current day greats.

Like pantskyle as the people predicted.

On the league awards I'm with Clarkey and likely many others. We have many best player awards but almost no best poster awards past the EKA.

Having something to encourage the best will likely promote the best. There is a hell of a lot more interest in ranking threads than a lot of the qooty related achievements. And while I think qooty is what the SFA is all about we need to celebrate those that make it worth playing.

Best Poster - The Wise Guy Sam Award.
Itsmyshow presents - Flog of the Year Award.
Okeyjoke Medal for outstanding Media.
And
By a beez dick - thread of the season award.

These 4 awards should be implemented for S20. So what if the season has started. All the deadlines so far have been rather tardy anyway.

...These 4 awards should be implemented for S20. So what if the season has started. All the deadlines so far have been rather tardy anyway.
Best Overall Poster - The ClarkeMedal.
Flog of the Year Award - The Jobe3Votes Medal.
Best Media Poster - Okeydoke Medal.

:)

There's absolutely no reason why we don't have a Players Association awards ceremony separate to the Mobbs (except one is statistical and the other is opinion based). Soggy's old thread should have come with more fanfare.

Problem with "poster" awards is it starts to take the SFA from the domain of the sim and more about how people carry on around these boards. To make them official awards sort of goes against what this league was intended to be about and what it is at the core of this competition.
I'm more than happy to have these done by 3rd party people, peoples choice awards and the like, but to tie it in with the game I don't think is the right way to go.

As for the Hall of Fame rather than have a fixed number each season, I agree with a maximum value, but think there should be some criteria before a player is considered (X amount of games, accolades, etc...) that would act as a cap of sorts.

Problem with "poster" awards is it starts to take the SFA from the domain of the sim and more about how people carry on around these boards. To make them official awards sort of goes against what this league was intended to be about and what it is at the core of this competition.
I'm more than happy to have these done by 3rd party people, peoples choice awards and the like, but to tie it in with the game I don't think is the right way to go.

As for the Hall of Fame rather than have a fixed number each season, I agree with a maximum value, but think there should be some criteria before a player is considered (X amount of games, accolades, etc...) that would act as a cap of sorts.

Look, I just want an award named after me with a cool WGS badge. Make it best player, most kicks, most zero stat games, biggest shithead award, it matters not to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back