Sydney Footy- All Divisions - 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 5, 2004
FAR WEST SYDNEY
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sturt, West Perth
Thought I'd start a similar thread to how the Canberra footy threads are set up.

UTS look to start as favourites again in Div 1.

Southern Power are sure to lead Div 2, perhaps the Dogs could challenge them?

Div 3- I like the look of the West teams, Moorebank & perhaps Penriff could shake it up with some good recruits?

Div 4- should have a top 5 or 6 and finish a week or two earlier to accommodate. Auburn are quite strong by all reports.

Re: Sydney Footy- Div 1 to 4

Penrith shaping up OK Pekay, with senior numbers as good as they've been for a few years which is the main thing for us at this stage.

Not much to report in the way of recruits, got a couple of guys back to the club who can play a bit which is handy, but as is usual for us most of the new guys come from other sports wanting to give it a go and are a bit scratchy. Should also get a boost from a few of last year's U/18's who have graduated to the senior ranks.

At this stage my guess if that we should be pushing for a finals berth but I wouldn't want to go any further than that at the moment.

Had a few of our better guys missing against Moorebank on the weekend and mixed our senior sides up, with a number of guys playing 5-6 quarters on a very hot day against two fresh Magpie sides, so not too bad an effort to lose by about five goals in the main game.

18's looking pretty strong again and without Sydney Uni stinking up the joint I reckon we can give that one a shake.

How are the Jets shaping up for their crack at Div 2?

If the Manly boys play as hard as they party, they will go well! They came to Canberra with a couple of understrength teams, but gave it a red hot go on the field and an ever hotter go off it...

The Manly boys are animals on the syrup, and they were missing their key forward and chief muckracker too! We played them in T20 at the start of the year, still don't feel right after all the drinking. Top blokes.

Desie, we'll go ok, lost plenty but picking some more up. Would love to have taken last years squad up a grade, but thats footy. We'll make the opposition earn their kicks, got some good young kids coming through.

How are the div one clus shaping up in 2010? Any big ins and outs? Top 5...?

I don't know what you guys all think but I think it's great what Sydney AFL has done for the competition. A few years back when I was down here Parramatta, Penrith and Mac Uni were the easybeats of the comp but now these Clubs have well and truly moved forward from where they were a few years back.

Great work by the committee's.

I don't know what you guys all think but I think it's great what Sydney AFL has done for the competition. A few years back when I was down here Parramatta, Penrith and Mac Uni were the easybeats of the comp but now these Clubs have well and truly moved forward from where they were a few years back.

Great work by the committee's.

The Sydney AFL should be congratulated on their divisional restructure.

It's allowed many of the clubs further away from the CBD to be able to play competitive football in both grades week in, week out.

Makes it far easier to retain players when you're not travelling all over Sydney every second weekend knowing that you're in for a 25 goal thumping before you even start.

Unfortunately with the demographics of Sydney the way they are in relation to guys who play footy, nothing would ever have changed.

5 to 10 years too late though. Best thing to happen in Sydney footy, despite what the insular Premier Division people think.

Some great results from the weekend lads!

ECE going down, UTS beaten by the Wolves, Bombers rolling on to another superior % win.

All happeing in div1.

I also agree with the divisionalisation however I still think it needs tweaking. Firstly, having grown men play footy at 8:30am on a Saturday morning is ridiculous. No one rocks up to watch so neither club is making anything on it and the stanard is poor due to the hour and well... the grade. Earliest senior game should be played at 10:30am, there are a few grounds around with lights that can cater for a twilight game (last quarter under mixed light)

What does everyone think about a relegation system for the Premier League? Are there any other clubs outside of Manly and UTS that could take a step up in future years? From my understanding the only thing stopping the Bats would be not having juniors however Manly would have a very strong case I'd say.
:footy:

Some great results from the weekend lads!

ECE going down, UTS beaten by the Wolves, Bombers rolling on to another superior % win.

All happeing in div1.

I also agree with the divisionalisation however I still think it needs tweaking. Firstly, having grown men play footy at 8:30am on a Saturday morning is ridiculous. No one rocks up to watch so neither club is making anything on it and the stanard is poor due to the hour and well... the grade. Earliest senior game should be played at 10:30am, there are a few grounds around with lights that can cater for a twilight game (last quarter under mixed light)

What does everyone think about a relegation system for the Premier League? Are there any other clubs outside of Manly and UTS that could take a step up in future years? From my understanding the only thing stopping the Bats would be not having juniors however Manly would have a very strong case I'd say.

The biggest thing in the way against UTS is its ground - whilst they play their they will not be considered as the AFL believe it is not up to Prem Div standard.

The biggest thing in the way against UTS is its ground - whilst they play their they will not be considered as the AFL believe it is not up to Prem Div standard.

I agree. They want to make the big step up but really who wants to go to a ground where they pay $80 for parking (thats after the ticket on the windscreen). Surely in this vast city there are plenty of ovals they could go to. What about somehow using the cricket oval in Centennial Park. It would need a bit of work but it's a fenced oval and thats a start.

What other teams are the movers and shakers for promotion??
Pekay looks like your boys had a good game on the weekend.

I agree. They want to make the big step up but really who wants to go to a ground where they pay $80 for parking (thats after the ticket on the windscreen). Surely in this vast city there are plenty of ovals they could go to. What about somehow using the cricket oval in Centennial Park. It would need a bit of work but it's a fenced oval and thats a start.

What other teams are the movers and shakers for promotion??
Pekay looks like your boys had a good game on the weekend.

We pushed Parra all the way, from what I'm told, led by 4 or so goals at one stage, but they got a roll on with the wond in the last and we couldn't hold onto them. Harvey umpired, and he isn't a big fan of ours, but despite that, the closest we've been to beating Parra since 2001 (We've never beat them in this grade)
My boys gave Maroubra a fright, they expected an easy game after destroying Mac Uni the week beofre, and one of our former players told me some of them read too much into our close win over Camden. Losing two players at hlaf time to bone breaks hurt, and two more bad injuries after the break left us with no bench, and a few hurt out on the field, but we pushed a pretty strong team who played their ground to a tee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The League have in place a pretty detailed document which works through the various criteria that clubs need to meet in order to apply for promotion to Premier Division.

Personally I think this is fair enough, as the top level of Sydney footy there should be criteria that needs to be met in a range of areas before you can participate.

Harvey umpired

Says it all really :D

Camden have definitely improved in Div 4, had more scoring shots than us on the weekend but poor kicking for goal let them down.

Our boys along with Magpie03's are leading the way in Div 3, I've got to say I fear for the sustainable future of Campbelltown if their twos are only capable of serving up what they did on the weekend at a level 3 divisions below their ones.

We're going along quite well so far given that we have half a side 21 years old or younger, although that being said the real test will come in games like this weekend against ECE. We've beaten Sydney Uni and Campbelltown in the first two rounds and looking at the results I can't see either of those finishing in the top five or six.

Says it all really :D

Camden have definitely improved in Div 4, had more scoring shots than us on the weekend but poor kicking for goal let them down.

Our boys along with Magpie03's are leading the way in Div 3, I've got to say I fear for the sustainable future of Campbelltown if their twos are only capable of serving up what they did on the weekend at a level 3 divisions below their ones.

We're going along quite well so far given that we have half a side 21 years old or younger, although that being said the real test will come in games like this weekend against ECE. We've beaten Sydney Uni and Campbelltown in the first two rounds and looking at the results I can't see either of those finishing in the top five or six.
If they can't field a strong team in that Div, their 2s don't deserve to be in Div 1, and the decision is justified. Dockers either. Their 2s should destroy any comp they're in to comfortably say "we deserve our spot in the top flight"

As for your boys, and Colesy's, its good to see, the hard work with your respective 18s is bearing fruit, fair way ahead of our club, but our seniors are pretty strong at present. Will be great to get the derby back next year, if all goes well.

If they can't field a strong team in that Div, their 2s don't deserve to be in Div 1, and the decision is justified. Dockers either. Their 2s should destroy any comp they're in to comfortably say "we deserve our spot in the top flight"

As for your boys, and Colesy's, its good to see, the hard work with your respective 18s is bearing fruit, fair way ahead of our club, but our seniors are pretty strong at present. Will be great to get the derby back next year, if all goes well.

My mail is that Town are only getting 15 per night to training, so I'm not surprised that they're struggling.

Promotion back to Div 2 is certainly the goal this year as I'm sure it is for Colesy, after all, with many of the stronger clubs now in Div 1 it's the natural place for all three of us.

That being said, it's easier said than done with 4-5 teams looking pretty good early doors.

Jets would be happy with their start as well with a big win over Camden and a tight loss to HP. I would guess that finals aren't out of the question?

My original thoughts were that you blokes would be happy enough to be competitive first up and avoid relegation given that you've lost a few.

Div 4 will be tough for all of us as I can't see anything getting in the way of a Saints v Auburn GF. To be honest, just having a competitive side in that division will always be the goal for us given that traditionally many of those guys are new to the game.

Interesting to see how they go this week against Kassem FC :D

Don't know how much of a test it will be with fluctuations in ECE's 22, being a thirds side.

Don't know how much of a test it will be with fluctuations in ECE's 22, being a thirds side.

Point taken.

Just going off last week where they had the same number of scoring shots as the Power who should finish in the top half.

We've got seven out of the seniors tomorrow including the Div 3 leading goalkicker, our best defender and our ruckman, so I reckon it will be a pretty tight game.

Point taken.

Just going off last week where they had the same number of scoring shots as the Power who should finish in the top half.

We've got seven out of the seniors tomorrow including the Div 3 leading goalkicker, our best defender and our ruckman, so I reckon it will be a pretty tight game.

He is only the leading goal kicker cause our bloke was in QLD last week:p

Anyway ECE can say what they want regarding its only their thirds and making excuses - here are a few facts.

The team should be well drilled with the level of coaching afforded them.
Their senior team is clearly the most dominant going around despite the reitrements from last years flag team - clearly their recruits are working well.
Their seconds were clearly the most dominant going around until the restucture of the compeition and yet they still managed to play in the GF again.
They run a Prem Div 18's and a Challenge cup 18's - that should equate to at least 20 allowing for under age players in the 18's graduating to senior football each season. Im sure that Penrith like myself would love to be in that position.

Im not bagging ECE becuase I believe they are clearly the best run club in sydney but just highliting the facts - ECE should be able to put a very competitive team on the paddock in Div 3 - Penrith on the other hand are a club that has had to claw its way back and are very much in their infancy of doing so with very little support on or off the field until recently. For the mighty Eagles to lose and claim its only our thirds and to be expected is just a cop out. Remeber you only dropped a division on request, not because you were the worst team i the comp which was clearly Campbelltown and that was their seconds.

No excuses at all, they'll go out to win every game, and other teams will be made to earn a win.

I watched some of your trial against Norwest at Rosedale and you looked well drilled and generally young which is a good sign - Im looking forward to seeing how we go against you and I wouldnt expect anything less than you going all out.

It'll be interesting to see how Div 3 pans out over the journey, looks at this early stage as though there's probably six teams fighting it out for the four, with Colesy's boys possibly the team to beat.

Hard to draw too much of a line through it at this stage.

What's also interesting is that it looks like the pattern of Premier Reserves clubs dropping out of Div 1 to be replaced by the old SFA clubs will continue, with the Power looking almost certain even at this stage to go up, with perhaps Wollongong to go the other way.

What's also interesting is that it looks like the pattern of Premier Reserves clubs dropping out of Div 1 to be replaced by the old SFA clubs will continue, with the Power looking almost certain even at this stage to go up, with perhaps Wollongong to go the other way.

Probably the most accurate comment from anyone for a long time - the much maligned SFA was a better comp than given credit for and it will probably be reflected by the majority of PL clubs with a representation if D2 not D1 and the old SFA in D1 and 3 with the real challenge to the old powerhouses such as Manly to make the step the PD and the newcomers in UTS making the same grade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back