Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Hey guys,

I've been offered a new job with my work based in Sydney. Will be in the CBD so will be getting bus/train/light rail to work. I want to live either South Side or Inner West, don't mind a decent commute so long as where I am living has a good vibe and isn't too rough. Any suggestions on where I should be looking wouls be greatly appreciated.

Also happy for this to turn into a general sydney lifestyle/things to do & see type thread.

Thanks in advance

Working in the CBD means your commute should be relatively short and most of it will depend on how far you have to walk from your home and work to the bus/train.

If you're into a vibe that involves pubs and restaurant's than Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, Newtown, Erskinville is the go. Commute for each of these suburbs should be less than half an hour. If you're into a vibe that involves beaches than Bondi, Coogee or maybe even Maroubra is the go. Commute for each of these is a little longer and possibly up to an hour in peak times.

Rent in all of those suburbs is pretty expensive. You can usually save a bit of coin by moving a suburb or two across from your desired choice - I.e. instead of living in Coogee you could live in Randwick where the same place will probably be 20% cheaper but there isn't a whole lot in Randwick itself, yet you're still only 5 minute drive, 20 minute walk to Coogee... A lot of that depends on whether doing those short journeys starts to grate on you after a while.

The public transport in Sydney is not great in the inner west or eastern suburbs. Outside of those areas if you're not on a train line you're pretty much ****ed.

Haven't been to Sydney since I was 16 but outer suburbs Melbourne Bigfooty posters like to throw stones at Western Sydney so there must be a massive difference.

Inner west is ok from what I have heard from colleagues but the burbs are supposedly pretty rough
Depends what burbs you're talking about... Out west it can start getting pretty rough in some parts (Mount Druitt, Blacktown, Penrith), but in other parts it's got a bit more of a community feel. But I see absolutely no reason to live there if you aren't from there or aren't working there. It would be stupid to commute nearly an hour each way from somewhere like Cabramatta.

If you look at this map, Five Dock, Ashfield, Dulwich Hill and Marrickville is as far west as you would want to go... And even they are stretching it. There is some superb Asian food in Ashfield but not a whole lot in terms of range - a few pubs, lots of asian restuarants but that's it.

Depends what burbs you're talking about... Out west it can start getting pretty rough in some parts (Mount Druitt, Blacktown, Penrith), but in other parts it's got a bit more of a community feel. But I see absolutely no reason to live there if you aren't from there or aren't working there. It would be stupid to commute nearly an hour each way from somewhere like Cabramatta.

If you look at this map, Five Dock, Ashfield, Dulwich Hill and Marrickville is as far west as you would want to go... And even they are stretching it. There is some superb Asian food in Ashfield but not a whole lot in terms of range - a few pubs, lots of asian restuarants but that's it.

Mrs has found a few places she likes in Marrickville, what's the feel like there?

Anywhere south on the train line that's okay?

Mrs has found a few places she likes in Marrickville, what's the feel like there?

Anywhere south on the train line that's okay?
Marrickville is a bit of a funky area that starting to pick up a bit of a vibe due to families being priced out of areas like Newtown and Erskineville so they are moving to the next suburb along. A lot of nice cafe's are starting to spring up. There's a decent amount of greenery in the area and Henson Park and Marrickville Park have a lot of local sporting teams playing there if you wanted to get involved. There's a good few pubs in the area but I wouldn't say they are cranking - Golden Barley, Town & Country just on the outskirts. They are good for a few quiet beers before heading either into town or Newtown.

It's still got some pretty industrial areas around Marrickville. It was a pretty rough sort of area for quite a while and it's only in the last 10 years (probably less) that families have started coming into the area. There are quite a few brothels around the backstreets so you gotta keep an eye for them... They also tend to be in the industrial areas. You're best bet is to get onto Google Street View and you'll see pretty quickly which areas to avoid (Buckley Street and it's surrounds at the back of Sydenham Station are very industrial).

You'd probably want to try and stick towards Sydenham Station (on the Unwins Bridge Road side) or St Peters Station (around Addison Street, Llewellyn Street, Edgeware Road), which leaves you close to public transport, close to Marrickville Metro shopping centre and within walking distance of Enmore, Newtown etc,. You'd probably find yourself a little bit isolated if you ended up down towards the Cooks River, especially if you got too far from Marrickville Station.

All in all if I move back to Sydney, it'd definitely be a suburb thats on the cards as a potential place to live for sure.

Marrickville is a bit of a funky area that starting to pick up a bit of a vibe due to families being priced out of areas like Newtown and Erskineville so they are moving to the next suburb along. A lot of nice cafe's are starting to spring up. There's a decent amount of greenery in the area and Henson Park and Marrickville Park have a lot of local sporting teams playing there if you wanted to get involved. There's a good few pubs in the area but I wouldn't say they are cranking - Golden Barley, Town & Country just on the outskirts. They are good for a few quiet beers before heading either into town or Newtown.

It's still got some pretty industrial areas around Marrickville. It was a pretty rough sort of area for quite a while and it's only in the last 10 years (probably less) that families have started coming into the area. There are quite a few brothels around the backstreets so you gotta keep an eye for them... They also tend to be in the industrial areas. You're best bet is to get onto Google Street View and you'll see pretty quickly which areas to avoid (Buckley Street and it's surrounds at the back of Sydenham Station are very industrial).

You'd probably want to try and stick towards Sydenham Station (on the Unwins Bridge Road side) or St Peters Station (around Addison Street, Llewellyn Street, Edgeware Road), which leaves you close to public transport, close to Marrickville Metro shopping centre and within walking distance of Enmore, Newtown etc,. You'd probably find yourself a little bit isolated if you ended up down towards the Cooks River, especially if you got too far from Marrickville Station.

All in all if I move back to Sydney, it'd definitely be a suburb thats on the cards as a potential place to live for sure.
This. 100% spot on

One last thing on Marrickville - The traffic on weekends can be ******* outrageously bad for what should be a suburban area. It's a real gateway suburb between the East and Inner West and those travelling to/form the outer west so you get a lot of through traffic... It's a definite downside if you plan on travelling by car. On occasions it's taken me 15-20 minutes to move about 3km.

Thanks so much for the post, very thorough and helping appease mine and my partners minds. Hard to get such levels of info off the net!

If anyone has any other areas they recommend this is the place. Sell sydney to me guys I'm excited for the move!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks so much for the post, very thorough and helping appease mine and my partners minds. Hard to get such levels of info off the net!
No worries mate. If I was to move back and money was no bother then my desired areas to live would be Surry Hills, Erskineville and Newtown... Probably in that order. Someone mentioned Glebe. Only been around there a little bit but definitely seems like a good vibe. Unfortunately all of those areas are starting to get pretty expensive. If you find cheap housing around there, then it's likely the house itself will be pretty run down.

No worries mate. If I was to move back and money was no bother then my desired areas to live would be Surry Hills, Erskineville and Newtown... Probably in that order. Someone mentioned Glebe. Only been around there a little bit but definitely seems like a good vibe. Unfortunately all of those areas are starting to get pretty expensive. If you find cheap housing around there, then it's likely the house itself will be pretty run down.

Yep all 3 are just a bit out of our price range unfortunately. If we were just looking for a 1 bedroom place we would be laughing but need a 2nd bed for visitors

I went out with a chick from Vaucluse when I was 18. Would go from her place in the Sydney equivalent of Toorak to Blacktown and Seven Hills in the "Wild West" of Sydney. Only ever has a knife pulled on me once at a house party and that was in Seven Hills. Lol. Crazy times there.

I went out with a chick from Vaucluse when I was 18. Would go from her place in the Sydney equivalent of Toorak to Blacktown and Seven Hills in the "Wild West" of Sydney. Only ever has a knife pulled on me once at a house party and that was in Seven Hills. Lol. Crazy times there.

Survived to tell the tale!

Anywhere you would recommend to live?

Sydney Harbour view (the tiniest patch of a view. House was probably $3-4m back then but I still reckon my parents newly built house at that point was nicer.

Still, her Dad was filthy rich and could claim he had a view. Lol

Survived to tell the tale!

Anywhere you would recommend to live?
Tbh I don't know Sydney well. I was still living in Melbs when we dated.

If you can afford it, the closer to the beach the better.

What was her house like?
Some of the houses in Vauclause are stunning.... But there is ******* nothing there except big houses and rich campaigners. The only pubs are down in Watsons Bay or Rose Bay. There is the bowls club in Dover Heights. As far as I know there are none in the surrounds in between. I don't even know where the nearest supermarket is.

It's a great area to take a visitor and show them around, especially down in Neilson's Bay or Watsons Bay... But I think living there would start to grate on me after a while.

most of the people are arrogant rude who hate everything that is non sydney, there is this where hatred for people on the opposite side of the city, eg people from South Sydney hate people from the northern suburbs & will refuse to travel there.

the common term that people use to describe people from Sydney in Queensland us "Numpty"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Numpty

most of the people are arrogant rude who hate everything that is non sydney, there is this where hatred for people on the opposite side of the city, eg people from South Sydney hate people from the northern suburbs & will refuse to travel there.

the common term that people use to describe people from Sydney in Queensland us "Numpty"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Numpty

TBH I lived in QLD (sunny coast) for 2 years and everyone was pretty unaccepting as soon as I mentioned i was from melbourne so ill take what you said with a grain of salt

TBH I lived in QLD (sunny coast) for 2 years and everyone was pretty unaccepting as soon as I mentioned i was from melbourne so ill take what you said with a grain of salt
you sure, ive lived, brisbane, sunny coast, around central qld Mackay, Moranbah, Blackwater, Dysart, Gladstone & cairns & pretty much most of the locals think Sydney siders are arrogant pricks. most things about melbourne is what team do you go for

you sure, ive lived, brisbane, sunny coast, around central qld Mackay, Moranbah, Blackwater, Dysart, Gladstone & cairns & pretty much most of the locals think Sydney siders are arrogant pricks. most things about melbourne is what team do you go for

I did a lot of regional travel for work eg gayndah, hervey bay, bundy, rocky and those areas everyone was lovely just in the sunny coast they were jerks. So protective of their area as soon as you said you moved from south most people were pretty rude tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back