Sydney Premier division clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

A very interesting year coming up in Premier League.
Until Round 1 is a week away and all transfers are through its hard to get a real gauge on all the clubs but my thoughts below...

The most interesting thing being UTS's promotion to the division. How they go is very much anyones guess but Id imagine they will recruit well and be more than competitive (to many of the other clubs surprise) and probably just miss finals.
Sydney Uni and East Coast the obvious picks for top 2 and a GF rematch would not surprise at all. Reckon Sydney Uni might be the ones this year.
Wests I think will be on the slide big time with a few key losses from last year.
Balmain are building (or buying, not sure how you would describe it) and will improve on last season and will be very interesting to see who turns out for them this year. Believe a very big name could be on the list... I think they could well return to finals footy finally. If not they might as well sell up.
North Shore and Pennant Hills should be pretty steady and play finals.
St George are a bit of an unknown but I cant see them improving too much just yet. They are still probably a year or two away from again being serious competitors. UNSW will again have a tough year but Campbelltown and Wollongong will be even worse and will have a real ding dong battle for the spoon.

Sydney Uni
East Coast
Pennant Hills
North Shore
Balmain
UTS
Western Suburbs
St George
UNSW
Wollongong
Campbelltown

I see elsewhere St George have lost a couple of young blokes, Cooper brothers, to Box Hill. Good on them but not good for young Dragons. They will be a bit unknown this year and need a couple of experienced strong bodies to cover the young blokes. Balmain will be interesting if the ex Swans actually do a preseason and are able to run in the first 8 weeks. Hard to see a plan in building a club but who knows. Wests might struggle a bit but East Coast, Syd Uni and Norths look pretty good based on last season. Hard to see past one of them for the flag.

Congrats to the 4 blokes asked to train with GWS Barton, Bates, Thompson & McConnochie.

Syd uni rewarded for a good year last year with 3 of the 4 surprised one of the ece blokes didn't get a crack, didn't see the Campbell town game so can't say if they were stiff, but good on those 4 hope they get a bit of game time.

any news on Brain didn't see his name on syd list did he move the bris to try his luck in new northern league, small but has a real crack.

Should be interesting with some trials this weekend may make the trip out to BOP on Saturday to get a footy fix will be interesting to watch the syd & act blokes

Can anyone pass on some details from clubs that might be interested in helping out the Great Britain Bulldogs Aussie Rules at the 2011 International Cup in August? The tournament is being played out at Blacktown from Friday 12th to Sunday 21st before it moves onto Melbourne.

We are keen to link ourselves with a club in Sydney to help us out with water-boys, medical, re-hab, etc if possible. The team is struggling a little bit financially a bit because of the strength of the £ so any help would be much appreciated.

If you could please email me back at play@putneymagpies.com then that would be fantastic...

Got out to my first game of local footy this year at the village green & seen ECE smash Easts/UNSW just to good

Jon Vlatko in everything just kept getting the footy & drove ECE on all day, new bloke up front Doyle? looks good. Dimmery was in a fair bit of it as well & delivered inside 50 contstantly as did Spitiri surprised both aren't playing at GWS or Swans given some of the top ups getting a run after watching the last 2 grand finals surprised Dimmery wasn't rookied by some one (swans took the other ECE bloke Klueger?? in front of him & Spitiri??? from the handful of games I watched last year including final klueger wouldn't have got a lot of footy if not for Vlatko, Spitiri & Dimery & they all use it better than him & appear to have better footy brains (reading play/decission making bloke is quick though & a reasonable size), O"Connor was good as well.

Garrett & Collet had a crack all day for Easts & Robson did some good things across half forward but they just aren't up to it at the moment, they do have an emotional coach though from the spray at half time.

Look forward to watching ECE v Balmain & Sydney Uni will head to the next Balmain/ Uni clash as well hping to be around for the finals & will make the treck, mate says he taped round 1 Eagles v Uni so may have a look at that on a slow day at work if his mrs hasn't taped some dance rubbish or cooking show over it.

From what I've heard it will only be those 3, Wests have fallen away massively after blowing a shot a GF last year, what's the story?

Wests have run out of cash, again! East Coast and Balmain are spending plenty, Syd Uni have a scholarship scheme to hide theirs. The ladder is pretty much reflective of who pays the most which is pretty sad. Ea$st Coa$t should win the flag pretty easily.

Wests have run out of cash, again! East Coast and Balmain are spending plenty, Syd Uni have a scholarship scheme to hide theirs. The ladder is pretty much reflective of who pays the most which is pretty sad. Ea$st Coa$t should win the flag pretty easily.

Yeh I caught Balmain v UTS at Henson, had heard some crazy cash re Balmain they didn't look super impressive though never in doubt despite appearing to go to sleep in the 2nd & 3rd, Joey Britton his usual energetic self just loose around the edges, Blums I seen a couple of times last year & he has a go.

Have always found it strange the Sydney Uni thing but ah well, ECE no idea where the cash comes from must be a very keen fan out that way, on average what do you estimate the big 3 are paying players?

Thought getting back to Picken may have helped Wests, have they lost sponsors etc, noticed in results they have a thirds team. See the beat East on the weekend in the 1' & 2' (sorry prem & 1st div!!!!!!!)

What' the story with Nth shore have been strong for years?

So who do you think ECE will play in GF Uni or Balmain? Be a big effort to win 3 on the trot with some fairly young blokes in the squad over the journey.

As most of you would now know, last Friday night's scheduled telecast of the Round 15 Digital Sports AFL Sydney Match of the Round between Sydney University and East Coast was not televised due to an error from the Main Event channel.
As a result, this match has been rescheduled, and will be telecast this SATURDAY NIGHT, either side of the 518 telecast of the match between Fremantle and Hawthorn at Subiaco, with starting times of 6.20pm and 11pm.
That gives AFL Sydney fans two big matches this weekend between the top three teams.

Friday night - 6.30pm and 11pm - Round 16, East Coast v Balmain at Bruce Purser Reserve.
Saturday night - 6.20pm and 11pm - Round 15, Sydney University v East Coast at Sydney Uni No.1

I was fortunate enough to see Brad Abbott in the weekend trial game between the mighty Blues & a very young UNSW side (aside from Abbott and Luff). He took an incredible grab over our coach and hero. One of the best footballers to pull on a boot in Sydney Football IMHO, up there with Troy Parker. Abbott just keeps on going, very hard to man up on with either talls or shorts.

Campbelltown are preparing well and we will be primed and ready for round 1! Go the blues!

How can 5 ex AFL blokes go to Balmain Dockers and get absoluted pumped by East Coast Eagles in 2011 Grand Final . They didn't ever look like winning- They looked disinterested. Well done Glenn Garner you deserve all your success mate, good luck in the step up in the NEAFL. gOOD JOB, from one Gippsland Boy to another. Go the DWWWW ALLIES!!!!!

Got out to my first game of local footy this year at the village green & seen ECE smash Easts/UNSW just to good

Jon Vlatko in everything just kept getting the footy & drove ECE on all day, new bloke up front Doyle? looks good. Dimmery was in a fair bit of it as well & delivered inside 50 contstantly as did Spitiri surprised both aren't playing at GWS or Swans given some of the top ups getting a run after watching the last 2 grand finals surprised Dimmery wasn't rookied by some one (swans took the other ECE bloke Klueger?? in front of him & Spitiri??? from the handful of games I watched last year including final klueger wouldn't have got a lot of footy if not for Vlatko, Spitiri & Dimery & they all use it better than him & appear to have better footy brains (reading play/decission making bloke is quick though & a reasonable size), O"Connor was good as well.

Garrett & Collet had a crack all day for Easts & Robson did some good things across half forward but they just aren't up to it at the moment, they do have an emotional coach though from the spray at half time.

Look forward to watching ECE v Balmain & Sydney Uni will head to the next Balmain/ Uni clash as well hping to be around for the finals & will make the treck, mate says he taped round 1 Eagles v Uni so may have a look at that on a slow day at work if his mrs hasn't taped some dance rubbish or cooking show over it.

From what I've heard it will only be those 3, Wests have fallen away massively after blowing a shot a GF last year, what's the story?

How will Eugene Kruger go at the Swans? Is he smart enough- ie. decision making awareness etc.?

How will Eugene Kruger go at the Swans? Is he smart enough- ie. decision making awareness etc.?

Vlatko, Dimery O'connor and mcredmond better value than KRUGER I reckon, hardly got a touch in 2010 pREMIER gRAND FINAL ece vs sydney uni, and then got drafted. what do the swans see in kruger. enlighten me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vlatko, Dimery O'connor and mcredmond better value than KRUGER I reckon, hardly got a touch in 2010 pREMIER gRAND FINAL ece vs sydney uni, and then got drafted. what do the swans see in kruger. enlighten me?

What football leagues have the Vlatko Brothers played in? Looks like they have played at an elite level. They sure can play. Classy types. Must be WAFL/SANFL at least?

VLATKO is a sheer gun, Mcredmond, Dimery, well coached by GARNER- He just lives and breathes footy- He is a complete self made coaching success.

Ex Glenelg I think, pretty sure Ben Physick played footy with em back in his SANFL days, early 2000s.
how does everyone think sydney uni and the other clubs will fare in the neafl against powerhouse canberra clubs like ainslie and eastlake. i watched a sydney uni game last year but it was old boys day and i had so many beers i cant remembeer much of the game. i hope they do well

how does everyone think sydney uni and the other clubs will fare in the neafl against powerhouse canberra clubs like ainslie and eastlake. i watched a sydney uni game last year but it was old boys day and i had so many beers i cant remembeer much of the game. i hope they do well

Pretty hard to compete with clubs with licenced premises, and a higher standard. Time will tell.

VLATKO is a sheer gun, Mcredmond, Dimery, well coached by GARNER- He just lives and breathes footy- He is a complete self made coaching success.

Surely you must be related to Glen or are actually Glen. Sure, he is an OK coach, but remember they have spent well more than any other club in the past three years to win three flags. Balmain was the only club to spend more than them this year and a lot of their money was wasted anyway on players who did not deserve the cash they were recieving. By the looks of some of the money they have been offering around the traps to players this year they are keen to continue trying to by flags in the NEAFL. Good luck to them but if I hear one more person out of the club deny that they pay big money I will dead set spew. Their is nothing wrong with buying flags, I just wish one day they would just come out and say it!!

Spill the beans ND, what's the goss? :D

They'd have to be paying Ryan Houlihan some decent coin for a start!

They must have some terrific sponsors who tip in some dollars, at least we have some idea where Balmain get theirs from.

They have signed a few and have a few more to announce. I know that they have offered a lot of the kids in the Sydney Comp well over the odds, any rejection see's a new offer put forward and so on til they basically say yes. Houlihan would be on massive coin, his brother played at Heidelberg who has a money tree planted at the ground and has a history of buying whoever they want. I guess they will say he is only get paid $100 a game, easy to forget the $80,000 job he has with the footy club licking stamps!

Can someone tell me if Sydney Uni and East Coast have picked up some of the top Sydney AFL players from other clubs, players that want to test themselves at the higher NEAFL level? Will the Sydney Premier Division comp be negatively affected?

For example I heard that Ted Strudwick from North Shore has signed at East Coast. Is that right? Any others?

The Dockers have always have a bit of cash floating around and attracted ex-afl players who only train once a week... Be interesting to see how they go next season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back