Sydney Swans Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I think your wrong mate. Heeney is a top 5 draft pick that will go to Sydney for your first pick between 16-19. If we all had equal access to him he would go to the highest bidder. But that is not going to happen is it?

If it weren't for the Swans academy, Heeney would of been lost to rugby league a long time ago. Swans are using their highest available draft pick to secure him. There's another draft pick in there from NSW that is rated a first rounder, Swans won't get first grab at him due to the rules. We should be asking for a priority pick so we don't lose a gun that we've invested time and resources in so we can secure him too...........

Total bull twang. He chose footy over rugby whether you like to believe it or not.
I have little trouble believing he chose footy over league. He's said if the academy option wasn't there, he wouldn't have been anywhere near playing AFL. "Definitely not" I believe were his exact words.
The academies around the country are simply finishing schools .
Perhaps in states where the best young athletes are lining up to play footy. Not in states where they're competing with long-standing league, union, and soccer pathways.

And who funds GWS & Gold Coast.

Who will probably fund Brisbane in the next couple of years.

Sydney have had some great hand outs in the last 30 years.

This self funded rubbish is crap.

Regardless of the funding states need home grown heroes - Lenny playing for the Saints, Mark McVeigh at the Bombers, Hirdy at Essendon, the Duck at North etc, etc did squat for footy in NSW.

Regardless of the funding states need home grown heroes - Lenny playing for the Saints, Mark McVeigh at the Bombers, Hirdy at Essendon, the Duck at North etc, etc did squat for footy in NSW.

So why did the swans overlook Lenny Hayes and draft Jude Bolton.

Why did Brisbane overlook Dayne Beams and draft Daniel Rich and Jack Redden instead.

Why did Sydney sell Longmire and Carey.

good thing you dont control the league. The AFL dont have to listen to your "traditional" states dribble and will do whats right for the competition as a whole

SO you want the academies for when it suits you but when it doesn't you will just bypass the local kids and pick a kid from interstate. I thought your club needed local heroes.

We requested to pull out of the draft permanently and were denied.

I think all supporters would be happy for the academies if
a. there was an end date (say 5 years)
b. a decision that it 10 years time the 4 northern clubs would take their 1st and 2nd round picks every year from the academy
c. or bypass the draft all together and select from within
d. the afl ran the academies and the players were on the open market

rather than having the option that best suited your team in a particular year. If you want the academies you take the good with the bad. If your not prepared to do that get rid of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think all supporters would be happy for the academies if
a. there was an end date (say 5 years)
b. a decision that it 10 years time the 4 northern clubs would take their 1st and 2nd round picks every year from the academy
c. or bypass the draft all together and select from within
d. the afl ran the academies and the players were on the open market

rather than having the option that best suited your team in a particular year. If you want the academies you take the good with the bad. If your not prepared to do that get rid of them.
And werent all those options offered by the clubs and declined by the AFL?

And werent all those options offered by the clubs and declined by the AFL?

c was rejected by the AFL. d has already failed. a is probably how it's going to work out, though over a longer period (probably 10 years).

I'm surprised it was knocked back by the AFL. I would think it is a good idea until the academies start producing huge amounts of talent.

Was rejected by the AFL as they didn't believe the Academy would produce enough talent at the required level, and that Sydney's assessment they could was incorrect.

Last edited:
If it weren't for the Swans academy, Heeney would of been lost to rugby league a long time ago. Swans are using their highest available draft pick to secure him. There's another draft pick in there from NSW that is rated a first rounder, Swans won't get first grab at him due to the rules. We should be asking for a priority pick so we don't lose a gun that we've invested time and resources in so we can secure him too...........
Yeah well you should see the amount of money our two AFL clubs have sent back to the SANFL for jr talent development, with no AFL money (the AFL is too busy keeping its money in Vic developing TAC players, and takes 200k from each of our two clubs to help in Vic as well) so we should get some priority picks as well?

Like Kieran Jack was who's dad was a Rugby League legend and he had no affiliation to AFL and there were no academies around back then.
Great sample size. One. As compared to the hundreds of kids from then on who went with league and into the NRL and tens of thousands who chose to play league, union, or soccer generally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back