Round 11, 6 Jun 2010 (SCG) Sydney defeated * 89-80
Round 2, 3 Apr 2011 (ANZ) Sydney defeated * 98-93
Round 20, 6 Aug 2011 (Etihad) * defeated Sydney 100-99
Round 11, 9 Jun 2012 (Etihad) Sydney defeated * 86-82
Round 10, 1 Jun 2013 (SCG) Sydney defeated * 115-71
Round 9, 16 May 2014 (Etihad) - Sydney defeated * 114-64
Round 19, 1 Aug 2014 (SCG) - Sydney defeated * 79-57

Standout recent performers
Many of the standouts have been from the Swans due to their recent dominance of these clashes. Josh Kennedy was best on ground in 2013 and 2014, averaging 35 disposals from the past 3 matches. Lance Franklin averages over 5 goals against * (for both Hawthorn and Sydney), and some of the other midfielders like Parker and Jack have consistently racked up good numbers. Ben McGlynn has a good career record against them. For *, Jobe Watson polled Brownlow votes in 2010 and both 2011 games. David Zaharakis was one of their best in both 2014 games, and Hurley picked up a vote for a very good performance in the most recent match.

Last game
The last match for both sides was a loss in the 2014 Finals series. * bowed out in an Elimination Final, losing 93-81 to Norf. Sydney had an utterly shameful surrender in the Grand Final, and were flogged 137-74.

697920-372d552e-4628-11e4-a514-3305f3826c2d.jpg

Changes in 2015
Sydney have lost their All-Australian half back Nick Malceski to the Suns. Past stars Ryan O'Keefe and Lewis Roberts-Thomson retired, but did not play many matches in 2014. They have no experienced signings, Isaac Heeney looks the most likely of the new draftees to feature in the senior lineup.

* lost star ruckman Patrick Ryder to Port, but have strengthened their squad with 2008 Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney, plus other experienced players in James Gwilt, Jonathan Giles and Shaun McKernan. Draftee Kyle Langford has impressed in preseason and is a chance for senior selection.

Unavailable players
Sydney
Alex Johnson (knee)
Ben McGlynn (hamstring)
Nic Newman (knee)

Nick Kommer (knee)
Heath Hocking (groin)
Jason Winderlich (back)

Featured players

J̶a̶r̶r̶a̶d̶ ̶W̶a̶i̶t̶e̶ Sam Reid

Highly paid athletic tall utility who has immense potential and will deliver it at some point, soon, we promise, maybe next year, wait he's a defender now, no he's a forward again. Reid would be more devastated than most about the acquittal of * players, as he will now need to match up against someone like Hurley, Carlisle or Hooker instead of Mitch Brown. With both Tippett and Franklin expected to play, Reid may split his time between dropping marks up forward and being outpositioned in defence.

292347-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Pictured: Mr Potential

Martin Gleeson
Very lightly framed player who shows good composure, crisp disposal, is good in traffic and has an ability to find space. I expect him to get significant gametime this season playing off halfback with periods up the ground. He's got a good turn of pace and could get lots of opportunities to establish himself in this young side. Every time you watch him play, remember that Kinnear Beatson drafted Membrey and Harrison Marsh ahead of him.

Lewis Jetta
Swans players and coaches have been talking about Jetta's role change all preseason, and it seems almost certain that Lewis will start the year playing at half-back. While he can not fill Malceski's exact role, he seems destined to fill his position on the ground.

This is a move that most AFL coaches have now tried - moving a dangerous, usually speedy attacking player to defence as an outlet, and to utilise their speed or disposal. Chris Yarran at Carlton is one of the more successful examples, and at our own club we've already seen a similar move for Rohan.

Probably the area this will be most important is the kickouts, which have been an area of massive weakness for Sydney. I also expect to see Jetta improve his disposal numbers, as the other defenders will look to feed him the ball regularly.

Adam Cooney
Like Adam Goodes, a former Brownlow winner who has suffered a significant decline from the height of his powers due to knee issues. He has a chance for a fresh start at a new club, and the early signs have been positive. If he can deliver some of his explosiveness and class he will be a tough matchup for any Swan. He averaged 20 disposals and kicked 13 goals in his last year for the Bulldogs, and an improvement on that in 2015 will make him a very valuable recruit.

20151203_Cooney_P.jpg

Key Matchups
David Zaharakis vs Kieren Jack
Both very talented midfielders who can win a lot of the ball, impact the scoreboard, and do not use illegal performance-enhancing substances. Zaharakis is coming into his prime at 25, and has already established himself of *'s best players. He's very dangerous when allowed to run forward, is his side's leader for inside 50s and can score goals. He's most notable for his integrity, rejecting Dank's injection program due to his distaste for needles. A high quality midfielder who demands a good opponent.

The fact Kieren Jack is regarded as having a poor 2014 proves just how good he is. A poor year was one where he was top 10 in the league for goal assists, kicked 18 of his own, and finished 4th in the Best and Fairest. This could be a key midfield battle between 2 similar players of great skill.

Mike Pyke vs Jonathan Giles
Mike+Pyke+Jonathan+Giles+2-Fq6OmXHWCm.jpg

The loss of Patrick Ryder could see Jonathan Giles immediately return to senior football at his new club. He's impressed in pre-season playing significant time forward, where he's been a dangerous goalscorer. Mike Pyke was one of few Swans to show courage and effort in the Grand Final, where he beat both McEvoy and Hale in the ruck contests.

In their last matchup, Giles was 2nd ruck behind Mumford and they didn't compete much directly - although Giles took 2 strong marks and kicked a couple of behinds. Giles rucked solo against Mumford and Pyke in the previous clash, winning 36 hitouts but having little impact around the ground.

Sydney's Kurt Tippett and *'s Tom Bellchambers should also feature. The ruck contest could be key to the overall midfield battled. A real danger for Sydney's undersized defence will be the ability for Giles or Bellchambers to play significant time forward along with 2m Carlisle and Daniher.

John Longmire vs James Hird
One is a highly respected former player known for his courage and skills, who played hundreds of AFL games and had premiership success. The other injects himself with Melanotan.

Despite receiving an award that would suggest otherwise to the uneducated observer, John Longmire is not the best coach in the league. However he is generally fairly competent, and has never doped his midfield with anything other than a very excessive opinion of their talent. The Horse wins this race by the length of 12 Flemington straights.

Jarrad "2 contested possessions in a Grand Final" McVeigh vs Mark "it was just vitamins" McVeigh
One is quick to point the finger at anyone but himself, rather than take responsibilty for his own actions. The other is now a coach at LWS. Jarrad recovered from a pitiful Round 9 showing to play solidly in the 2nd 2014 match against *, so he outpoints Mark in this contest.
735387-jarrad-mcveigh.jpg

Pictured: Jarrad contributing in the way he knows best

Prediction: For Sydney, it is merely 4 of the 70 points they will require to finish in the top 4. No winning margin will mean anything, even 100+ points, as they did similar against an immensely stronger Geelong side in 2014 and it counted for nothing when the heat was on.

For *, it will be tough. Many of their players have had no or limited game time in preseason. It is also a chance for James Hird to demonstrate if he is a good enough coach to warrant the club keeping him despite all the harm and disgrace he has brought upon them. Spoiler alert: he isn't.
arrest_zpsf5b9570f.jpg

Sydney's midfield have the opportunity to take on an opposition that has had very limited match training in the preseason. They may even win the clearances. Franklin has always performed well against *, and will be a major focus. Sydney will have too much firepower and will win by 21 points.

Not even sure I'm going to show up for this game. Between this, the trading ban and the general awfulness that is the AFL I'm starting to lose interest. Ugh.

Nothing better than to show up, scream at the umps and get the boys home. Everything you say I agree, but the Swans did nothing wrong, the boys deserve our support. Be there Saturday baby!

I'll ignore all the controversial stuff, but one big thing is that Giles won't play. He really only did anything against St. Kilda. Bellchambers will be playing ruck and Daniher will play 2nd ruck or Hooker will follow Tippett in there if need be.

I'll ignore all the controversial stuff, but one big thing is that Giles won't play. He really only did anything against St. Kilda. Bellchambers will be playing ruck and Daniher will play 2nd ruck or Hooker will follow Tippett in there if need be.

quit being likeable

quit being likeable
Why? It's okay, I like Sydney and Geelong. I feel a kinship with them as the other 2 clubs being hated for doing nothing wrong as proven today.

Why? It's okay, I like Sydney and Geelong. I feel a kinship with them as the other 2 clubs being hated for doing nothing wrong as proven today.

i dunno :p

i work with an annoying essendon fan

hes bugging me today so i dont like your club at all right now :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dunno :p

i work with an annoying essendon fan

hes bugging me today so i dont like your club at all right now :p
We have a lot of dickheads. So do every club. But I can understand.

LOL at the captions.

The Giles bit originally said he was playing due to Bellchambers' suspension but I'd already sourced the picture and written everything so I didn't want to change it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back