Analysis Sydney's depth - an analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel better about our depth as time goes on. It was a big shake up, but as it stands, a back up ruck, and KPD are are only major holes, and they can be filled with the draft, or our rookies/ressies. We are sitting pretty IMO, and trust the recruiting team more than ever. Like every team, we need a good run with injuries. We took our share last year, it must be Hawthorns turn.

I think our depth is still sound. We have Towers, Membrey, Naismith, Lloyd, Robinson, Xav Richards, BJ, Biggsie, Harry, Tommy & Laidler all able to play a bit. We have LRT ready to fit into a back position if there are problems. Franklin coming in certainly makes us stronger in the mids and forward line. I think we will look for a fast runner/KPP/Mid a swing player in the draft, possibly Marsh. We are about versatility and Reid might just get to be very versatile this year, he played his junior footy at CHB and his brother, Ben, at CHF, funny isn't it.

Well our pick 15 player is most likely going to turn out to be a complete dud but given how we recruit our two picks in the 30's should turn out to be good players :p

We're going to nail this draft. Acres, Battersby, lobb, sully, hewitt..... i can't back that up.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clubbyclub-guide-to-the-2013-afl-draft-20131115-2xm5h.html

SYDNEY SWANS

In: Lance Franklin, Jeremy Laidler.

Out: Tony Armstrong, Jude Bolton, Alex Brown, Andrejs Everitt, Martin Mattner, Mitch Morton, Shane Mumford, Jesse White, Jed Lamb.

Rookie upgrades: Brandon Jack, Dane Rampe.

Draft picks: 15, 32, 35, 44, 53, 69 (Jack), 79 (Rampe).

Depth charts

Tall forwards: Lance Franklin, Kurt Tippett, Sam Reid, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Tommy Walsh.

Tall defenders: Ted Richards, Heath Grundy, Alex Johnson, Jeremy Laidler, Xavier Richards (rookie).

Small/medium forwards: Ben McGlynn, Tim Membrey.

Small/medium defenders: Nick Smith, Nick Malceski, Dane Rampe, Rhyce Shaw, Jordan Lockyer, Matthew Dick, Harry Marsh.

Midfielders: Adam Goodes, Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack, Ryan O'Keefe, Dan Hannebery, Lewis Jetta, Jarrad McVeigh, Craig Bird, Luke Parker, Gary Rohan, Tom Mitchell, Harry Cunningham, Dean Towers, Brandon Jack, Shane Biggs (rookie), Jake Lloyd (rookie).

Rucks: Mike Pyke, Sam Naismith (rookie), Patrick Mitchell (international rookie).

DRAFT DAY: Sydney's depth has taken a hit, partly because Franklin's enormous contract caused a few players look for better contracts elsewhere, but also because Bolton and Mattner had decided to retire. Given a choice between one of the best players in the competition and three or four fringe players, most clubs would find a new fringe. The Swans have a few areas that need boosting and while Jed Lamb's departure could create opportunities for Membrey, it also means the club could bring in a medium forward. Whether there is one worth pick 15 is the question, with the quirky Jonathan Marsh one to consider. That said, there's likely to be a selection of onballers available at that pick. Lewis Taylor and Zach Merrett are smart, speedy players, while inside midfielders such as Dom Sheed, Luke Dunstan, Zak Jones and Trent Dumont would need to be considered on talent. The other area needing attention is the ruck. The Swans need someone who can play immediately, if required, but of the younger ruckmen on offer, former basketballer Rory Lobb might demand their No.15 pick.

Longmire obviously reads my threads (who can blame him):

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ests-swans-depth/story-fni5fan6-1226956375894
John Longmire said:
The reality is you need about 35 players to get through a season and that’s why it’s important for the guys in the reserves to keep in good form.

As highlighted in the OP, 35 is the average number of players used for the season (and generally one player has a season-long injury and doesn't play a game, so you need 36). So far we have used 28 so we're on target to use 31-36 again as we have every year. We're also on track to have about 8 of our best playing every game (as we do every year).

Would it be reasonable to speculate that other players to be used will be:

Tim Membrey
Zak Jones
Shane Biggs
Dean Towers
Harrison Marsh?

Last edited:
I reckon we'll definitely see Membrey & Biggs before the year is out. Jones a strong possibility too.

Despite the constant calls for them to debut, I can't see Naismith or Nankervis getting a run unless both Pyke and Dericksdfxdfsj are out.

We're having a decent run with injury so we may only end up playing 30-32 this year which would be fantastic.

In 2013, Sydney used 35 players. 8 of them played every game, 4 played <5 games.
In 2012, Sydney used 31 players. 8 of them played every game, 4 played <5 games.
In 2011, Sydney used 35 players. 7 of them played every game, 7 played <5 games.
In 2010, Sydney used 36 players. 8 of them played every game, 6 played <5 games.
In 2009, Sydney used 33 players. 9 of them played every game, 4 played <5 games.
In 2008, Sydney used 36 players. 8 of them played every game, 9 played <5 games.

From studying the past 6 years, 3 things become obvious:

1) We need 30-35 players to play AFL football next year.
2) Around 8 of our best players will play every game.
3) We'll have 5 fringe battlers who come in for a game or 2.
We have used 32 players this year, and it is very unlikely anyone who hasn't played yet will come in for the prelim.
8 of our best have played every game.
5 players have played 4 matches or less.

We've had a very similar run to 2012 in terms of injuries and player availability.

We have used 32 players this year, and it is very unlikely anyone who hasn't played yet will come in for the prelim.
8 of our best have played every game.
5 players have played 4 matches or less.

We've had a very similar run to 2012 in terms of injuries and player availability.

We've had a pretty consistent 7 years judging from that analysis.

Very much so. About the only reason we tend to rotate players is due to injury. Even then, it's minimal. Usually said injured player makes their way back into the side when fit again. That same player that replaced them is often the same one that'll replace someone else as we have guys that can be flexible already in the team to cover multiple positions.

I'd be happy playing Macca, Jack, Benny, Goodes, Parker, Mitchell, Jetta etc fwd &/or mid as required. Likewise we have some good options in terms of Rucking and rotating forward with Tippo, Reid, Pykey, Derix all able to kick a goal and ruck a bit. Reid in particular can also go back so is a more important player than I think he's often given credit for. Same thing happened to LRT his whole career. It's guys like this, who can play multiple positions and allow the best available emergency to play, that means we have a fairly settled line up (which as far as I'm concerned is an important aspect of success).

They have faith in kids i guess being able to step up

I think we neee some experienced depth at least a key defender and someone else just in case

But swans plan seems to be roll the dice the best 25 will play and look for breakout years lloyd and cunningham this year for instance maybe that b jack next year for instance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if malceski stays outside of our 22 we have the following with experience before trade fa period and im presuming we keep biggs and membrey trade goes ahead (who knows we get)

Biggs 6 games
Derickx 14
B jack 17
Jones 4
Laidler 45
Mitchell 20
Naismith 1
X richards 1
Towers 6

Maybe thats ok, probably short a middle aged ok player at the very least

A lot of our prospects look ok

But if you have a few old players playing on you need players in the wings

Means guys like hewitt heeney etc need to be ready to play seniors

B.Jack he hasn't come on from his 2013 season as i thought :( i was expecting him to be a regular for 2014 could be in trouble in 2015 if he doesn't show more.

Towers will get more games in 2015 we will back him in to have a breakout season he will need to show a lot more tho or else he will be in trouble.

Laidler is quality depth, Derickx is Derickx, Biggs was ok probably be picked in round 1 if Shaw retired.

Mitchell as we know is quality but him and Bird are fighting for one spot, the rest havent played enough to get a real good judge on.

So if malceski stays outside of our 22 we have the following with experience before trade fa period and im presuming we keep biggs and membrey trade goes ahead (who knows we get)

Biggs 6 games
Derickx 14
B jack 17
Jones 4
Laidler 45
Mitchell 20
Naismith 1
X richards 1
Towers 6

Maybe thats ok, probably short a middle aged ok player at the very least

A lot of our prospects look ok

But if you have a few old players playing on you need players in the wings

Means guys like hewitt heeney etc need to be ready to play seniors
Looking at that doesn't fill me with joy ( not bagging ). You could argue Mitchell is best 22 and not depth.

I rate Jones and more so Hewett but still have not shown ( Hewett zero ) much at AFL Level.

Our KP and ruck depth is alarming.

Hawthorn as a comparison now sewell is out the door

Anderson 6
Ceglar 17
Cheney 41
Grimley 3
Hallahan 6
Hartung 7
Litherland 13
Lowden 1
Obrien 4
Ross 4
Shoenmakers 79
Simpkin 36
Wanganeen 1
Whitecross 84
Woodward 2

Then they may add frawley

But may delist a few

Apologies if i messed that up

Hawthorn as a comparison now sewell is out the door

Then they may add frawley

But may delist a few

Apologies if i messed that up
Looks like Frawley already done although the Dawks stupidly posted this by accident before deleting it.

10675742_572634342865761_1964152119719079537_n.jpg

Yer dont get me wrong mate its great for the future but more concerned for our premiership window :)

I guess to win the flag you dont want to be playing heaps of your reserves anyway but sneaking some games into them wouldnt hurt

Just makes is year frustrating such a good injury run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back