Sylvia Retires

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Any idea on the pay out?

Has it been confirmed that he agreed to forgoe his 2016 salary as part of the deal?

According to the West Australian Colin will receive only a percentage of his contract for 2015 and nothing for 2016. This might not be correct, but Bond did say in the presser the club was happy with the payout. At worst, I think he has received about half of what he was still owed in the contract. A much better outcome than most here had predicted. We also pay the players per game when they play for Peel. This is another payment that we wont need to pay because Colin has retired. It defeinitely seems like Colin's retirement will benefit our Total Player Payments to a significant level. It appears we will have an extra 300k plus for season 2016, while still being under the TTP's for season 2015.

Last edited:

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The attraction was obvious in 2013 - underperforming high draft pick coming across for not much, so potential for signficant upside to a team pushing for a flag and needing just a few extra pieces. The fact that Lyon was helping his old mate Roos to a very nice compensation pick to rebuild Melbourne with may have also awayed the choice.

In terms of getting players from other clubs though I think it is obvious that more attention needs to go into their behaviour off the field because this ultimately determines their character. Pearce and Walters were willing to do the hard yards because they had families (i.e. someone other than themselves) to think of - pity that concept didn't work for Simpson because he could have been a very handy player about now.

JamFrank

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can't believe melbourne got pick 23 in compensation for sylvia leaving via FA. Swindle of the century.

Banker

Club Legend
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lol just read on draft day he was drinking coke with rum. His career was doomed from the start.

Lol just read on draft day he was drinking coke with rum. His career was doomed from the start.

You bet - do you know how much sugar is in coke?

Rum & diet cola would of been the smarter choice.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
According to the West Australian Colin will receive only a percentage of his contract for 2015 and nothing for 2016. This might not be correct, but Bond did say in the presser the club was happy with the payout. At worst, I think he has received about half of what he was still owed in the contract. A much better outcome than most here had predicted. We also pay the players per game when they play for Peel. This is another payment that we wont need to pay because Colin has retired. It defeinitely seems like Colin's retirement will benefit our Total Player Payments to a significant level. It appears we will have an extra 300k plus for season 2016, while still being under the TTP's for season 2015.
Regarding the payout, it is actually a heap of money to give up, especially for someone beginning a new life outside of the AFL. Possibly around $500K. The purpose of a contract is to give certainty, and if by simply hanging around that money is going to find its way into his pocket then I think him retiring is out of character for him. It makes me think that he has done something which breaches his contract, most likely leaving the game. Nice work.

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I believe they could demonstrate he was breaching contract and laid it on the management he could be fired but they preferred a clean professional exit - perhaps they had him for drinking and/or partying during season times, late or missing sessions -- in addition to poor training and performance standards.

And so he took a payout to avoid getting nothing or going through the courts for years suing the club for money.

Apenesslike

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I believe they could demonstrate he was breaching contract and laid it on the management he could be fired but they preferred a clean professional exit - perhaps they had him for drinking and/or partying during season times, late or missing sessions -- in addition to poor training and performance standards.

And so he took a payout to avoid getting nothing or going through the courts for years suing the club for money.
Yeah, and the final nail, say nothing bad about the club or be in breach of the conditions of the payout.

"Thank you Fremantle for giving me the opportunity"

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
From a VERY good source...

On that last game Sylvia played for Peel, Mzungu was giving him a huge spray as they were coming off for the half time break. Sylvia didn't re-emerge from the rooms after half time. Club said 'concussion'. This is what most people already know.

Journo was sent to interview Mzungu after the game, and asked (off camera) him what was going on. Mzungu said - oh you know in footy sometimes you get a bit frustrated and you let people know, but we move on.

Journo's bosses then told journo to go to club's people to find out more about Sylvia, what the interaction with Mzungu had been about, and what was wrong that he hadn't come out after half time. Club's people kept putting journo off for quite some time, with statements like 'someone will be with you shortly' and 'we're not sure of the circumstances but we'll let you know.' Journo told them that people were waiting to hear what happened and it was better for them to give something rather than have people start speculating. Club said Sylvia had concussion, which has remained the 'party line' since then.

Then he retired.

I don't know anymore between that strange and very secretive interaction between club and journo (who usually had a great relationship with the club) and his retirement.

Banker

Club Legend
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
3rd division what a fall.

After getting paid $400k and his attitude towards footy amazing he is playing so soon. Perhaps he just didnt have the motivation to play at the very top level?

For me it looks like the guy has drinking problems thats why the club is helping him?

Back