Sympathy for Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah nah.

This appears to be a case of two blokes jabbing themselves with gear off their own bat, not a club planned and implemented doping regime where those in power abused their positions and put the health and welfare of the young men in their care at risk.

The Pies got on the front foot today and will do the right thing by the game if the two players return positive B samples. There ain't much else they can do.

Watched the pie's presser live - Pert was smooth. This is a fair bit different to the bummers (on what we know so far), as the Bummers was a club organised affair - the pies does not appear to be that (yet). Let's see how Eddie handles this when he gets his chance.

Yeah nah.

This appears to be a case of two blokes jabbing themselves with gear off their own bat, not a club planned and implemented doping regime where those in power abused their positions and put the health and welfare of the young men in their care at risk.

The Pies got on the front foot today and will do the right thing by the game if the two players return positive B samples. There ain't much else they can do.

Completely agree with the first paragraph. However, you can't tell me * wouldn't have acted in a similar way if they had players return positive samples. The murky waters of the afl make it very easy to hide if there's even a shadow of a doubt, and *'s lack of positive tests gave that doubt. If the collingwood players were only alleged to have taken PEDs, and hadn't actually tested positive, they would have been just as slippery as *

2 players, positive samples and we now live in a post-*Essendon* world. The clubs know how the public reacts to certain things/statements.

Different Set of circumstances. Collingwood will probably continue to play all the right cards. Nice to the players, it's a serious issue, we have an integrity officer who oversees supplement/nutrition, they assure us everything is above board, following the process etc etc.

The Pies though are engaging in some subtle message delivery though with comments such as "they are good boys and I have no idea why they would want to engage in such practices" and "not sure why they would bother taking the substance as they are both really lean anyway".

They are standing behind their boys but realise that if the B sample comes back positive that they are going to have to have a seriously good defence.

The Pies though are engaging in some subtle message delivery though with comments such as "they are good boys and I have no idea why they would want to engage in such practices" and "not sure why they would bother taking the substance as they are both really lean anyway".

They are standing behind their boys but realise that if the B sample comes back positive that they are going to have to have a seriously good defence.

Still completely agree with you, but it's a different kettle of fish: there are positive tests. That has been the loophole that * have been exploiting for 2 years, and I'm absolutely positive collingwood would too if given the chance. As much as I hate *, I reckon we would have seen a much more forthright and honest reaction from them if there was a positive test.

Still completely agree with you, but it's a different kettle of fish: there are positive tests. That has been the loophole that * have been exploiting for 2 years, and I'm absolutely positive collingwood would too if given the chance. As much as I hate *, I reckon we would have seen a much more forthright and honest reaction from them if there was a positive test.
Can't argue with that.

All we have is the evidence on hand. Would the Pies have gone down the deny/delay route of *? Maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potentially.

But out boys are pretty lean too. So...

Apple v Oranges.

Leanness in and of itself means nothing.
But if you've tested positive for a drug that helps make you lean, and you are lean, then that changes the picture substantially.

Regardless, so far the Pies are playing all the right cards to limit the damage. Players have manned up and agreed to be named so their teammates don't live with suspicion. All the things you can do right when it's two fringe players and not sponsored by the club and its legendary coach.

The worst thing about today is how much Carlton supporters are loving themselves.

Yeah, when it appears that the players have gone off on their own a done it, I have actual sympathy for the club.

As opposed to what idiotic *Essendon supporters want us to believe, unlike them most (hopefully all) other clubs don't run supplement programs that push the boundaries/cross the line of what is acceptable and what is banned, and totally push the boundaries/cross the line of what is safe for human use and what exposes the players to cancer risk and makes them piss blood.

But what is reasonably likely, and I daresay happened at each and every club (including our own, let's face it), is that there have been and possibly still are players that have gone behind their club's backs and taken something they shouldn't have. There is sweet FA the clubs can do about that beyond what they already do. I hope it doesn't happen at our club (and really hope all our players right now are clean) but I'm not naive to think it couldn't and hasn't.

So if these guys B samples test positive, they can GTFO and Collingwood cops the brunt of having a shortened list, which would suck.

Yeah, when it appears that the players have gone off on their own a done it, I have actual sympathy for the club.

As opposed to what idiotic *Essendon supporters want us to believe, unlike them most (hopefully all) other clubs don't run supplement programs that push the boundaries/cross the line of what is acceptable and what is banned, and totally push the boundaries/cross the line of what is safe for human use and what exposes the players to cancer risk and makes them piss blood.

But what is reasonably likely, and I daresay happened at each and every club (including our own, let's face it), is that there have been and possibly still are players that have gone behind their club's backs and taken something they shouldn't have. There is sweet FA the clubs can do about that beyond what they already do. I hope it doesn't happen at our club (and really hope all our players right now are clean) but I'm not naive to think it couldn't and hasn't.

So if these guys B samples test positive, they can GTFO and Collingwood cops the brunt of having a shortened list, which would suck.

Maybe not a shortened list, but the start of a bidding war for Clint Jones and Jared Petrenko?

I've eaten NZ steak all my life
I'm not lean

They need a new defence

1. Both asthmatic
2. Kissed someone who was wearing clenbuterol lipstick
3. Someone spiked their drinks
4. One of their mothers/partners inadvertently sprinkled clenbuterol instead of cheese on homecooked pasta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back