Certified Legendary Thread Sympathy for *essendon - congratulations on '16 Wooden Spoon (RIP The Scales)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly my position.

It's hard to accept player bans on insufficient evidence, but if Dank goes then it is clear that there is evidence that the drugs were there and used, just no clarity on who. That in itself is a disgrace and no * supporter should be happy with such an outcome. Sure, it will be glossed over by the supporters, the club, the AFL and the media, but it will never go away.

Yeah, my position too.

I see some parallels with the GoDees non-tanking case. The AFL's self-interested cynicism was at the fore there - a large fine and suspensions for ummm, well it wasn't for tanking. OK, so let's stop looking at that.

A few GoDees supporters gloated about it and acted like dicks, but frankly those few are like that anyway. Most of them had the good sense to shut up while they were ahead, knowing they got a tainted verdict in their favour. And now it's clear that tanking was its own punishment. What they implemented in those days has engendered such a loser culture that they're still far away from competitive all these years later.

Yeah, quite a few parallels really.

The thing that sticks out to me, besides Horace's and B Tron 's and others excellent comments is that the the destruction of evidence by essendon (or some of it at least) means there is not enough evidence to prove one way or another whether they are. Today's verdict reads to me as that there wasn't enough evidence either way and Essendon will always have this stain of being drug cheats by the general football public. If they had evidence to clear them, they would have presented by now, not lose court cases and wait 2 years.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The thing that sticks out to me, besides Horace's and B Tron 's and others excellent comments is that the the evident destruction of evidence by essendon means there is not enough evidence to prove one way or another whether they are. Today's verdict reads to me as that there wasn't enough evidence either way and Essendon will always have this stain of being drug cheats by the general football public. If they had evidence to clear them, they would have presented by now, not lose court cases and wait 2 years.

Usual quality posting. :thumbsu:

May 24, 2011
Richmond
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
what is the process if asada appeals tomorrow?. Does that mean * players with infraction notices will not play until the appeal is completed?
They can play now until any appeal court bans them. They would only be sitting out during the appeal process if the decision had gone the other way.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Robbo didn't hear the AFLPA smack the club? Or Watson, or Charter, confirm no-one still knows what the players were given? Colossal negligence at best and they will get apologies for being held to some account for it when hell freezes over.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Eugh, stopped reading after this sentence:

After two years and two months of anxiety, fear and uncertainty, they are footballers again. And not drug cheats.

Sometimes I find his rambling nonsense endearing, not to be taken seriously, but passionate and admirable nonetheless. Yet how he is the head football writer for the largest paper in the country when he constantly makes simple grammar and syntax errors and continually writes in fragments - a particular irritant of mine - completely bemuses me.

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NORTH! 2016,2017,2018.
#donthestain

I've found those saying "good now we can move on. Get back to the footy" just as annoying as the *essendon flogs on BF today. Obviously footy comes first, but the last 2 years involved looking after the purity of this great game. If you don't like this thread don't post in it. If you don't like the other threads on big footy dedicated to the saga...don't post in them either. It really isn't hard. The thread will close when there is nothing more to discuss.

There will be no appeal, McDevitt's office is saying not likely and that ASADA will "put it down as an honourable loss" according to Rebecca Wilson. I hope there isn't, the players deserve to play and for the first time in 3 years can enjoy the game they love.

I hate Essendon, I hate the club in all of its representation but the players have suffered enough, they're the ones that have borne the brunt of this saga and as players of our great game, I'm glad that my team will play a decent side and not a half baked team that is clearly not good for the game. Essendon have been fined $2M, had their coach suspended for 12 months, draft picks taken away for 2 years, kicked out of finals and good people losing their job with reputation in tatters. I say enough is enough and the players and the club have served their penance and let's all move on and turn our eyes to the season itself. It's going to be a great year of football this year, let's allow ourselves to focus on that for a change.

/End rant.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
The thing that sticks out to me, besides Horace's and B Tron 's and others excellent comments is that the the destruction of evidence by essendon (or some of it at least) means there is not enough evidence to prove one way or another whether they are. Today's verdict reads to me as that there wasn't enough evidence either way and Essendon will always have this stain of being drug cheats by the general football public. If they had evidence to clear them, they would have presented by now, not lose court cases and wait 2 years.

Great post. No matter what, the period will forever be stained for * which is still pretty cool.

Content in that knowledge, to be honest I'm pretty happy to move on. We'll see what comes years down the track.

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NORTH! 2016,2017,2018.
There will be no appeal, McDevitt's office is saying not likely and that ASADA will "put it down as an honourable loss" according to Rebecca Wilson. I hope there isn't, the players deserve to play and for the first time in 3 years can enjoy the game they love.

I hate Essendon, I hate the club in all of its representation but the players have suffered enough, they're the ones that have borne the brunt of this saga and as players of our great game, I'm glad that my team will play a decent side and not a half baked team that is clearly not good for the game. Essendon have been fined $2M, had their coach suspended for 12 months, draft picks taken away for 2 years, kicked out of finals and good people losing their job with reputation in tatters. I say enough is enough and the players and the club have served their penance and let's all move on and turn our eyes to the season itself. It's going to be a great year of football this year, let's allow ourselves to focus on that for a change.

/End rant.
Those poor poor players!!!

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Robbo is the biggest tosser Essendon not guilty, he will try to change history by saying Essendon didn't do anything the fact is they are Guilty the players got off, not the club.
I completely agree, a fact I tried to point out to him in several replies to his most recent tweet. I highly doubt he would even take any of that into consideration, he's as bad as any * fan, he thinks the whole club is now completely exonerated. This won't be the fact if any of the players develop long term health issues due to being administered drugs not approved for human use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back