Syria 2012 - the year of blood

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they want to win a big fight in Aleppo then dash to the border and cut the supply lines. Then go for peace talks in a magnanimous fashion.

But Assad is struggling for manpower and moralee. They need a break.
I don't think there can be peace with the jihadis. I really think they want to kill them all if not then drive them back to the gulf states that sponsored them so they can cause trouble there. Russia and Iran are too close to dominating the region now not to keep pushing. The coalition is ununified in its intent whereas the Assad, iraq Russia and Iran Alliance obviously wants to get rid of all military threats to the government.

Well they'd have to give up that slogan and go for land of the exceptional if they were allowed to go full Goebbels.
yeah, they never really allow the people to ask the hard questions in the press conference, who was the old lady who died this year or last year, reminded me of my grandmother, her name was Helen or someone... she asked the hard questions, but they never took her question, until it was the "token question" time at the end, and the important seats and DC bureau(s plural) had already evacuated their seats... and she never got time on the front sheets of any papers...

there was the USSR attache in either the Khrushchev or Brezhnev administration, who was doing a trip around DC and the major capitals like NY/LA/and Chicago, who asked his American handler: "how do you get everyone to print the same thing as everyone else almost word for word, we have to twist arms and have editors strongarm people at Pravda???" (I use a little bit of licence, but words to that effect)

Chief, he of unmatched wisdom, you gonna get that cyrillic spell check and spell correction working? ta

awaremind i was being half-facetious wrt land of free thing... token questions still token, if you get my drift.

also, I am not buying the RT thing as coming with good faith in that instance, I think neither side was doing journalism in this instance. Now, RT, they may have already presumed they were not gonna get a proper unscripted propaganda response, so they have already asked and answer their own question... much like canberra pollies will answer their own question from leigh sales on 730, and not answer the question, seems RT solved this dilemma!

yeah, they never really allow the people to ask the hard questions in the press conference, who was the old lady who died this year or last year, reminded me of my grandmother, her name was Helen or someone... she asked the hard questions, but they never took her question, until it was the "token question" time at the end, and the important seats and DC bureau(s plural) had already evacuated their seats... and she never got time on the front sheets of any papers...

there was the USSR attache in either the Khrushchev or Brezhnev administration, who was doing a trip around DC and the major capitals like NY/LA/and Chicago, who asked his American handler: "how do you get everyone to print the same thing as everyone else almost word for word, we have to twist arms and have editors strongarm people at Pravda???" (I use a little bit of licence, but words to that effect)

Chief, he of unmatched wisdom, you gonna get that cyrillic spell check and spell correction working? ta

Helen Thomas.

There was a period through the 80s until the Iraq War went indescribably to s**t that the Israel Lobby had enormous power in the US. They had to be appeased and plenty of folks actually signed up to the deal.

But Obama recognised a huge disgust with the Iraq War and that's what got him started heading to Washington. And he knows he can, and did, stare down the Israeli lobby on the "what, you want us to fight another war like that?" angle.
I call bullsh!t on the authenticity of the disgust. His speech in the Senate was a few parts Rand Paul when Rand stood up for the Iran deal or whatever Rand did this year, before he was clear about NOT contesting the current GOP primary. IE. Rand was looking for traction. Seeking air-time on MSNBC, and get his face and familiarity all over Roger Ailes station, if Ailes is even still head of Fox News. Point is, Rand was expedient and took advantage of this opportunity to get cut-thru on the national stage. Now people know his name. He will likely find it much easier co-ordinating his sounding group for 2020 and 2024, if he wins those primaries for the GOP you can trace it to his first gambit launching himself on the national stage.

and, obviously, I am drawing comparisons to Obama re:Iraq. He used that defining note to corner his rivals in the first democrat primaries v biden and HRC and the rest. But I am calling it for its motive and legitimacy. I am not saying he wanted War with the Cheney, the generals, and the neo-cons, thats a false dichotomy. But was it an authentic vehemence and indigence? my intuition says no. I am a sceptic
He also gave them enough rope and the hubris filled lobby took it - the Netanyahu address to Congress in clear defiance of the President's wishes was the worst strategic mistake the Israelis have made in a long time.
I reckon Bibi won the second round. If this was a second round. I think the congress and Whitehouse were made to look pusillanimous, and Bibi has the hide of Trump, with the intelligence of Obama, to just push Washington to see how far they could go. The generals in the Pentagon did Cheney and Bibi a favour first time around. Actually, it was his predecessor Olmert then, not BN. If George Bush jnr had taken them to war, it would have been one major f-up. But it is helpful for future knowledge to know how far you can push Washington. You need to ask, what price has Bibi paid? They got more Arms materiel aid, they just did not get the pentagon airforce bombing Natanz sky high. But he knows he had the former Persian pm Ahmadinejad played. And he still has Rouhani beaten too, even with the more diplomatic voice coming out of Tehran. It helped that Bibi has his formative years in Philly, and is basically American and can play DC politics and the persians dont have a touchstone. This was not about the Whitehouse and Obama v Netanyahu, this was about his re-election and his dominance over the Persians. Obama did not hurt him there. And he paid them more. thats a win to Netanyahu in anyone's perspective. He had to have the hide of rhinoceros and make part-fool of himself, but he, thats was politicans do, not as much as Trump mind you, more like, a Bojo.

In actual war news Syrian government forces have finally lifted the 36+ month siege on the Syrian Air Force's flight training academy at Kuweires/Rasm al-Abboud Airbase east of Aleppo.

http://news.yahoo.com/syrian-army-breaks-siege-key-aleppo-air-afp-161628136.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/013d6244-87d4-11e5-9f8c-a8d619fa707c.html#axzz3rA3DUToj

This is roughly the situation around Aleppo right now

source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aleppo_(2012–present)#/media/File:Rif_Aleppo2.svg
1280px-Rif_Aleppo2.svg.png

Red areas are controlled by the Syrian Government
Green areas are controlled by the 'Free Syrian Army'
The yellow area is Kurdish-controlled
Grey is controlled by Daesh/IS/ISIS

In actual war news Syrian government forces have finally lifted the 36+ month siege on the Syrian Air Force's flight training academy at Kuweires/Rasm al-Abboud Airbase east of Aleppo.

http://news.yahoo.com/syrian-army-breaks-siege-key-aleppo-air-afp-161628136.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/013d6244-87d4-11e5-9f8c-a8d619fa707c.html#axzz3rA3DUToj

This is roughly the situation around Aleppo right now

source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aleppo_(2012–present)#/media/File:Rif_Aleppo2.svg
1280px-Rif_Aleppo2.svg.png

Red areas are controlled by the Syrian Government
Green areas are controlled by the 'Free Syrian Army'
The yellow area is Kurdish-controlled
Grey is controlled by Daesh/IS/ISIS
I can see a bit of Debaltsevo happening there, the FSA terrorist should run or switch side before they get crispy.

I can see a bit of Debaltsevo happening there, the FSA terrorist should run or switch side before they get crispy.
The fsa doesn't really exist, FSA is code for Al nusra. Al Nusra is al queda. We're supplying them, knowing full well, much of that is being handed over to ISIL

Whether we're doing it deliberately or are simply addicted to supplying al nusra because, heaven forbid if they changed sides:rolleyes:

The fsa doesn't really exist, FSA is code for Al nusra. Al Nusra is al queda. We're supplying them, knowing full well, much of that is being handed over to ISIL

Whether we're doing it deliberately or are simply addicted to supplying al nusra because, heaven forbid if they changed sides:rolleyes:
You can tell they are Islamist terrorist at least by the way they cry the snackbars as the shoot the TOWs.

The sham is almost at an end.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/free-syrian-army-decimated-desertions-151111064831800.html

...The FSA, once viewed by the international community as a viable alternative to the rule of the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, has seen its power wane dramatically this year amid widespread desertions.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in Aleppo, Syria's largest city where many FSA soldiers are leaving the group, citing inadequate pay, family obligations and poor conditions.

In the past month, Russia's bombing campaign against Syrian rebel groups and the FSA's rejection of Russian invitations to participate in negotiations have further weakened it, raising questions about the group's place in any future settlement...

I call bullsh!t on the authenticity of the disgust.

What did he change when he got in ie Gates, Petraeus ? The military adventurism hardly stopped, he has bombed more Muslim countries than Bush, he knows he gets largely a free ride from the press because of the obvious despite his repeated failings (calling Bibi a campaigner just about the only shining light of his administration but as you say probably didn't account for much)

Neocons like Victoria Nuland and hubby are still front and centre.

#regimechange
#overpromotedcommunityorganiser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did he change when he got in ie Gates, Petraeus ? The military adventurism hardly stopped, he has bombed more Muslim countries than Bush, he knows he gets largely a free ride from the press because of the obvious despite his repeated failings (calling Bibi a campaigner just about the only shining light of his administration but as you say probably didn't account for much)

Neocons like Victoria Nuland and hubby are still front and centre.

#regimechange
#overpromotedcommunityorganiser
funny calling Bibi a political kam pain ner Chief, he of unmatched wisdom swear filter. Tis a tautologicalpleonasm [sic/portmanteau], all are campaigners. All the politicians are campaigners. It reminds me of my mate, if he does not call you are a political campaigner, you will be an authentic cutn. Cos in his pov, everyone is a cutn.

If not now, hopefully in years to come historians and chroniclers of this conflict will pay due homage to the tenacity and courage of the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) and its Hezbollah ally, both of which have held the line on the ground against the forces of hell over a sustained period. This courage was exemplified most emphatically with the recent breaking of the siege of the Kweires airbase in Aleppo province, where Syrian troops had managed to hold out against the jihadists surrounding it.

Those jihadists (ISIS/ISIL/Al Queda) were supplied from Turkey. A NATO country the west (France too) used to pour money and arms into Syria. The Syrians supplied mainly from Iran and Lebanon, now Russia.

Throughout that time they were supplied with regular airlifts of food, medicines, ammunition and other vital supplies, enabling them to hang on. Their determination in doing so until the siege was finally broken as part of the recent ground offensive mounted by the SAA and its allies, in conjunction with Russian air support, marks just one in a catalogue of heroic actions undertaken by troops whose refusal to break over long years of brutal conflict deserves to be universally acknowledged.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/322194-france-terrorism-history-syria/

Meanwhile, France said on Tuesday it had stepped up its bombing campaign against Isis’s oil infrastructure with new raids in eastern Syria as part of its third wave of strikes under a US-led air campaign.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...h-year-long-isis-siege-of-key-aleppo-air-base

:rolleyes:

A look (via Wikileaks) at how former Political Counselor at the U.S. Embassy in Damascus William Roebuck saw Syria in 2006

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/06DAMASCUS5399_a.html

Bashar's reported preoccupation with his image and how he is perceived internationally is a potential liability in his decision making process. We believe Bashar's weaknesses are in how he chooses to react to looming issues, both perceived and real, such as a the conflict between economic reform steps (however limited) and entrenched, corrupt forces, the Kurdish question, and the potential threat to the regime from the increasing presence of transiting Islamist extremists.

This cable summarizes our assessment of these vulnerabilities and suggests that there may be actions, statements, and signals that the USG can send that will improve the likelihood of such opportunities arising. These proposals will need to be fleshed out and converted into real actions and we need to be ready to move quickly to take advantage of such opportunities...

Roebuck is now the U.S Ambassador to Bahrain. His bio can be found here

state.gov/r/pa/ei/biog/237201.htm

A look (via Wikileaks) at how former Political Counselor at the U.S. Embassy in Damascus William Roebuck saw Syria in 2006

Thank you for that. The Bahrain appointment must be reward for all the hardwork overseeing insurgency and war every where he went for a decade?

Andrew Bacevich is one of few American domestic commentators I can put my worth in

Amy Goodman always asks him about his WestPoint son who died in Iraq (coulda been Afghanistan...) and he always politely denies, he has been in the International Strategy dep't at Boston U, they should get him at Johns Hopkins in Washington, he is 'da bomb[sic]
http://www.democracynow.org/2015/11/2/andrew_bacevich_ongoing_wars_in_iraq

I thought he died giving a Hatch adolescent cricketer fellatio in South Africa? no?

seemed very Roger Casement who got it on with some mandingo folk in King Leopold's rubber Congo. meds you a fan of leopold?

medusala

Remove this Banner Ad

Back