Syria 2012 - the year of blood

Remove this Banner Ad

This I agree with. I believe that the 'Assad MADE the uprising sectarian' narrative is false, however. Those bastards were always going to turn up.

Oh yeah, it was always going to turn sectarian simply because it was the Sunni mass vs the Alawite minority regime.

The Syrians now have Russian anti aircraft protection. Russians are now bombing ISIS positions. Within weeks syrian army units will be making ground back. What a waste of money by our gov deploying our airforce there. Russians say ISIS has WMD components and they're going in.

Meanwhile America is now busy with another school shooting and gun debate, not many will notice the coalition of the willing has been caught out again.

Good old Guardian, never misses an opportunity to throw in their pet Armageddon theory.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/02/global-warming-worsened-syria-drought-study

The prolonged and devastating drought that sparked the mass migration of rural workers into Syrian cities before the 2011 uprising was probably made worse by greenhouse gas emissions, US scientists say.

The study is one of the first to implicate global warming from human activities as one of the factors that played into the Syrian conflict which is estimated to have claimed more than 190,000 lives.

The Syrians now have Russian anti aircraft protection. Russians are now bombing ISIS positions. Within weeks syrian army units will be making ground back. What a waste of money by our gov deploying our airforce there. Russians say ISIS has WMD components and they're going in.

Meanwhile America is now busy with another school shooting and gun debate, not many will notice the coalition of the willing has been caught out again.

The Russians aren't bombing ISIS though.

Can you actually believe what the Septics are telling us though?

No, but I do believe the people on the ground reporting where they are bombing.

No, but I do believe the people on the ground reporting where they are bombing.

Like poor old John Simpson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21829269

During the past decade I have spent more than a year of my life in Iraq.

I saw from close up how the country was scarred by violence, right from the start. During the invasion, a careless US Navy pilot dropped a 1,000lb bomb on a group of American and Kurdish special forces my team and I were travelling with. Eighteen people died, many of them burned to death ('This is just a scene from hell'). There was no proper inquiry afterwards, and no one was punished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they bombed some so-called "Free Syrian Army" positions as well as local al-Qaeda affiliate Jabhat al-Nusra, who has joined with other jihadists to form Jaish al-Fatah, the 'Army of Conquest'.

I only hope Russian-directed munitions find and destroy their legitimate targets in these groups, and not just go for the 'Grozny' solution which would only be another great recruiting tool for the jihadis...

I don't believe this for a second.

They are bombing whom Assad asks them to bomb, some targets will be ISIS when convenient, some will be other rebels like this.

You know what, those rebels in 12 months will take their kit and cash and join ISIS, or the biggest regional Sunni player anyway. Rebel, to jihadist, to death cult in record time.

The issue people have is they want to pick a more correct side, be it Assad or Russia or the USA. But none are telling the truth and all are causing mayhem.

If Assad goes it will degenerate into unmitigated chaos, if he stays and wins, it will be on the back of horrendous abuses. The US will likely topple him in time, or the country will be in conflict for ages. It's a doozy.

I think they bombed some so-called "Free Syrian Army" positions as well as local al-Qaeda affiliate Jabhat al-Nusra, who has joined with other jihadists to form Jaish al-Fatah, the 'Army of Conquest'.

I only hope Russian-directed munitions find and destroy their legitimate targets in these groups, and not just go for the 'Grozny' solution which would only be another great recruiting tool for the jihadis...

Grozny solution is a bit like the Samson plan. just kill everything that moves.well, Samson is just sending up their nuclear arsenal, think it has been reported by a leak, it is not 100 or 300, it is more like 500, and just sending all the nukes into the ether to land on foreign cities, europe too.

Yep, it is all about the Jaish Al-Fatah factions, and Ahrar Al Sham (not sure if they have formally joined Jaish, I think they take part in the joint ops room though).

Basically the Russians are flying close air support for Assad now.

They are bombing whom Assad asks them to bomb, some targets will be ISIS when convenient, some will be other rebels like this.

You know what, those rebels in 12 months will take their kit and cash and join ISIS, or the biggest regional Sunni player anyway. Rebel, to jihadist, to death cult in record time.

The issue people have is they want to pick a more correct side, be it Assad or Russia or the USA. But none are telling the truth and all are causing mayhem.

If Assad goes it will degenerate into unmitigated chaos, if he stays and wins, it will be on the back of horrendous abuses. The US will likely topple him in time, or the country will be in conflict for ages. It's a doozy.

I think the plan is to shore up Assad to a point where "Alawistan" is a reality on the ground. As part of that, show the non ISIS rebels, and more importantly their backers in the Gulf, that Assad can't be overrhrown. So some sort of peace deal is negotioated where Assad stays and keeps the "strategic corridor" open from Tehran via Iraq to Damascus and Hezbollah.

That leaves ISIS still control of the desert in Syria down through to Mosul. What happens to IS then is anyone's guess.

The thing that people forgot is that while Assad was a nasty, nasty dictator, as soon as the shooting started he had a very large and viable support base in the way Mubarak, Gaddafi and Saddam never did.

I prefer to listen to the horses mouth. You use to be like that. it's like your scared or something.

LOL at the idea that Putin speaks the unvarnished truth.

a case of no winners, no matter who wins

These proxy wars, insurgencys have been going on for a half a century. In hindsight we learn the same thing nearly every time.

Building up polpot was a mistake, building up bin laden was a mistake, not entering into dialogue with ho chi min was a mistake, arming both Iran and Iraq against eachother was a mistake blah blah blah blah blah shouldn't of illegally invaded Iraq blah blah blah blah blah,

History tells us we're supporting the highest bidder and left wing or moderate movements are not allowed to tender. History tells us this is where the profits are made. History tells us when we have poisoned the last river, caught the last fish, chopped down the last tree, will we learn we cant eat money.

Yet we keep repeating our mistakes, as we do we make up a heap of bullshit to sell it.

and most of you are ok with this, What a waste democracy is on you.

Like poor old John Simpson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21829269

During the past decade I have spent more than a year of my life in Iraq.

I saw from close up how the country was scarred by violence, right from the start. During the invasion, a careless US Navy pilot dropped a 1,000lb bomb on a group of American and Kurdish special forces my team and I were travelling with. Eighteen people died, many of them burned to death ('This is just a scene from hell'). There was no proper inquiry afterwards, and no one was punished.

The US have a history of 'friendly fire' & 'collateral damage'. Sad but true.

It must be hard to fly those hitech planes when you are as high as a kite. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back