Tablets

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Looking at buying a tablet but unsure what to get? Looking at say the Samsung Galaxy, Motorola Xoom or iPad2. Or anything else others could suggest?
It would be used for browsing, mail, watching movies, etc.

I'm probably less inclined to go for the iPad2 as it's basically just a big iPhone which I already have.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Get a Macbook air 11" if you must spend the money (not a tablet, but tablets are just gigantic phones right?), otherwise just use your phone...

Ipad2, much different from an iPhone.
I had an iPhone, but changed to a BlackBerry. Got an ipad2 recently, much more useful than a small screen iPhone. Most tablets have similar features but the iPad is easier to use (I shopped around first)
Money well spent in my opinion

Looking at buying a tablet but unsure what to get? Looking at say the Samsung Galaxy, Motorola Xoom or iPad2. Or anything else others could suggest?
It would be used for browsing, mail, watching movies, etc.

I'm probably less inclined to go for the iPad2 as it's basically just a big iPhone which I already have.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Yeah nah.

Anyway - the mail functionality is superior on the IPads at the moment over the Honeycomb's.

Must admit i was the same re: iPad 2. Just a big iPhone, waste of money etc..

Wrong.

They are a fair way faster than the iPhone, it browses so quickly, quicker than most computers. The screen is amazing. Responsive, sharp, crisp. The sound is pretty good for what it is. If i wanna browse for a little bit i'd user use the iPad 2 than a computer. It's just more fun, easier etc...they are a very handy tool. You can download pdf's and store them in the bookshelf to study or whatever if you don't have the 3g one.
Plus these days you can actually tether your iPhones data plan to the iPad (without jail breaking). Didn't know this until i was in the apple store, but they've allowed it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got an Acer iconia and enjoy it. Cheap and good functionality. One question for you guys is there any way to run windows drivers on an android. I have one of those mobile broadband usbs from crazy johns and would love to plug it in to the tablet but can't get it running

Seriously the Tablet market at the moment is going ballistic!!
The choices at the moment are phenomenal..:)

I am really interested in the dual boot Android/Win7 Tabs out and will be pushing my work to get me one :thumbsu:

Microsoft introduced the Tablet.
Apple marketed it..
Goggle will probably perfect it...

Result, the end users wins no matter what flavour it is :)

Has there ever been a bigger flop in computing than the HP TouchPad? That's not to say that webOS is the problem, from all reports, webOS is a very good mobile OS. HP have clearly stuffed up but it's no great surprise, this was always going to bomb. I was a Palm fanboy back in the day and have fond memories of my metal Palm Vx circa 1999. I was saddened that they couldn't turn their PDA success into smartphone market share. Their own fault though.

Harvey Norman is taking all remaining TouchPad stock off the shelves and offering full refunds for anyone silly enough to be an early adopter. I'm not convinced that webOS is dead just yet, perhaps in tablet form yes, but maybe not in smartphones.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...led-in-australia/story-e6frgazf-1226118178681

Sales for webOS devices have been terrible. HP has no business getting into the tablet market. I was kind of hoping Microsoft would have purchased webOS a while back, but trust HP to screw it royally.

Don't quote me, but I think some places in the US are selling TouchPads for $99 (I think).

Also, in the US, I think Samsung has an offer where you buy a new 3D TV (~$1499) and they throw in a Galaxy Tab.

I wouldn't touch a TouchPad. Your choices are iPad or an Android tablet. If you're familiar with BlackBerry, then perhaps have a look at a PlayBook, but I probably wouldn't. I'm not too sure what's the latest with Windows tablets.

I work at HN, and man that was just absolute madness....

People everywhere, don't blame em... but not enough to go around :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back