Tablets

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the iPad. the app selection is hard to beat.

Otherwise I've heard great things about the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I'd watch the cheaper ones, because sometimes they don't have full access to the app store, and it's a pain to manually install apps.

full mkv support is still a bit buggy
but most honeycomb tablets will do it to some degree with the right app (moboplayer etc)
i use gotsent to transcode my mkv audio streams since the main problem is that there is little codec support for ac3 audio atm.

cheapest ones are acer iconia, asus transformer
but you also have the xoom, toshiba thrive, galaxy tab 10 (import). barnes and noble and amazon also comign out with new ones very soon

At $200, the new Kindle Fire tablet proves that even at $100, the HP TouchPad was a waste of money.

[YOUTUBE]jUtmOApIslE[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...ase-in-australia/story-e6frgakx-1226165771696

APPLE has won its legal bid to temporarily block the sale of Samsung's flagship tablet computer in Australia. NSW Federal Court Justice Annabelle Bennett today granted Apple an injunction against Samsung blocking the sale of its Galaxy Tab 10.1 device in Australia ahead of the final outcome of a lengthy patent battle between the two companies.

However exact orders won't be released until Friday. This means Samsung could be allowed to sell a varied version of the tablet in Australia.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...ase-in-australia/story-e6frgakx-1226165771696

Given the amount of cross-pollination in the technology industry, there's a tacit convention that these things should be settled out of court. Company B pays Company A a hefty licensing fee and both companies continue coining it.

Apple are being assholes over this, and it will come back to bite them. Whilst they are certainly the industry's leading innovators, they themselves are a long way from having invented everything they use in their products. If they start playing hardball over patent protection then they can expect some nasty cross-suits from other companies.

Given the amount of cross-pollination in the technology industry, there's a tacit convention that these things should be settled out of court. Company B pays Company A a hefty licensing fee and both companies continue coining it.

Apple are being assholes over this, and it will come back to bite them. Whilst they are certainly the industry's leading innovators, they themselves are a long way from having invented everything they use in their products. If they start playing hardball over patent protection then they can expect some nasty cross-suits from other companies.
Already happening really. Nokia are making a lot of money out of them right now for some things as basic as scrolling on a mobile phone ($800 million plus ~$200 million a year, and all well before Samsung thing rose up.

I don't particularly agree with either side, I think the patent system needs a major overhaul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not an IP expert, but my feeling is that it's hard to institute an IP framework that both fairly protects consumer technology patents on paper whilst still allowing for effective competition and development in reality.

I don't actually mind the tacit detente that has existed over the last 10 years whereby everybody uses everybody else's stuff and they don't sue each other as long as it's not too blatant a ripoff. Apple is getting greedy here and figures they have more to win than lose by enforcing patent claims. I have a feeling that it will calm down eventually. In a crowded consumer market, everyone benefits from collaborative development.

If anyone is looking for a cheapy tablet, Groupon has a voucher for an Android tablet on at the moment. It's not going to compete with the iPad or Galaxy Tab but might be good for someone looking for something simple and inexpensive :)

I'm not an IP expert, but my feeling is that it's hard to institute an IP framework that both fairly protects consumer technology patents on paper whilst still allowing for effective competition and development in reality.

I don't actually mind the tacit detente that has existed over the last 10 years whereby everybody uses everybody else's stuff and they don't sue each other as long as it's not too blatant a ripoff. Apple is getting greedy here and figures they have more to win than lose by enforcing patent claims. I have a feeling that it will calm down eventually. In a crowded consumer market, everyone benefits from collaborative development.
For the most part i agree. Though i think there are some things that perhaps should be off limits. If it's too open than you can just have companies sit by then use successful technologies, then just copy,, mean while it may have taken years, and many unsuccessful attempts to get something that work..

The problem with the Nokia dispute was,, Apple seemed to want to pay the same as everyone else -- most of the patents were ones that were fundamental patents to wireless communication that are forced to be licenced out at a fair price, Nokia wanted to charge Apple More then another -- dues to the higher cost of the iphone,, Apple didn't agree..

Then,, i guess you have companies that sue small time developers for having an update button within an App, the only thing the companies do is exist to make money from patents they themselves don't use, and often, don't even develop.

I simply cannot understand Apples motives on this sue.
Sueing the manufacturer of many of your components??...Baffling :confused:

I think Apple are gradually looking to reduce their reliance on Samsung.
I am kinda reading it the same way.
It looks to me that they might be trying to break free of them but I think they might be shooting themselves in the foot here.

If they show that they are carnivorous, then they will lose trust from other producers.

If they are deserted by all the other bit players (Foxconn, LG etc..) then that means they may need to manufacture themselves which I doubt they will....

It just seems they are bighting the hand that feeds them!!

On the other hand......if Samsung does stop manufacturing parts for such a success as the iphone....they stand to lose a lot!!!

I am watching this one very closely :cool:

I am kinda reading it the same way.
It looks to me that they might be trying to break free of them but I think they might be shooting themselves in the foot here.

If they show that they are carnivorous, then they will lose trust from other producers.

If they are deserted by all the other bit players (Foxconn, LG etc..) then that means they may need to manufacture themselves which I doubt they will....

It just seems they are bighting the hand that feeds them!!

On the other hand......if Samsung does stop manufacturing parts for such a success as the iphone....they stand to lose a lot!!!

I am watching this one very closely :cool:
Samsung are big enough to cope without Apple, though, it would be a blow. But I think it's also healthy for Apple to hedge it's bets a little more, both are too big to need the other.

On the other side of your argument - I think for the most part you dangle a big enough contract in front of other manafacturers, someone will bite, money talks too loud in business.

customs wont seize something that isnt illegal
its banned from being sold HERE, not from importing.
the only thing you have to worry about is any warranty implications

Remove this Banner Ad

Back