Tactical Potential

Remove this Banner Ad

TigerTime3

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Tactical potential in the AFL: how do you see the game evolving?

The context of this thread is after having watched the following NFL training tactics clip, so please watch this if you can:

The depth of planned movements in the NFL is obviously far more advanced than the AFL. Due to the free nature of our game, some might say our game has relatively limited tactical potential.

We all know Hardwick is a big fan of American sports. He's met with college teams to discuss tactics.

What are the limitations for in-depth movement tactics in the AFL? Would a team see a benefit if they spent 100s of hours planning, learning, and training for certain planned movements? Or are there simply too many players and too many minutes of play for it to be a realistic tool for winning premierships?

There are a few situations were AFL clubs will run "plays" or set pieces with planned movements. I doubt they do it at every single one but I know there are certain running/blocking routes they will use at F50 stoppages, centre bounces and from kick ins etc. Who decides which one they use and how often they use it in the AFL though I have no idea.

i dont think its something that can be heavily relied on to bring you success. its just too hard. AFL being a 360 degree game throws up far too many variables to warrant spending heaps of hours on training certain running plays.

the other obvious issue is that with NFL those offensive players only need to worry about the offensive plays, so if the pass is too long or too short they just get to re load and start again (with the exception of a interception of course) where as in the AFL if a kick or a handpass is off target its almost a 8/10 chance of being a turn over.

the only time set plays and tactics can really come into play are during kickouts or when a player has marked the ball. As you have total control of the ball in these situations.

Stoppages are obviously tactical but it only takes the ball to go to a different spot and your plan is out the window.

Its well known that forwards study running patterns for their leading to free up space for each other, but i reckon thats about as good as it will get given the most effective way to play our game is to play on quickly at all costs.

having said that though i had a heap of fun working out kicking out set plays when i was coaching :D

Basically this.

I have noticed something Trent Cotchin does immensely well, which is when player x has marked the ball, say on the back 50 wing, and is looking for a player to chip to, Cotchin will jog up to an opponent, push off their chest and run back toward player x for an easy chip mark gaining 20 meters.

Little things like that are what make him such a smart footballer.

Good post TigerTime3 . Very interesting. I think your onto something here. As the games competitiveness will only increase, teams will continue to seek out ways to give them an edge, if only small. After watching a bit of that video, my immediate thought was that of leading patterns. But rather than just copying those types of things I think Dimma is a systems thinker. I think he will be looking not just at running patterns but ways of viewing the game, taking it apart in order to uncover new ways of doing things (if that makes sense?). I think that's really where the future innovations will occur (clubs who will genuinely lead the way)...

I seem to remember Hardwick pointing out some "running patterns" in Dimma's Dissection.

Nothing as specific as NFL running patterns. More general directions, like when there are 3 players on the outside of a stoppage, they all break forward when the contested footy has been won, but they spread away from each other laterally - that is, the guy on the left of the stoppage heads forward, angling to the left forward pocket, the guy in the middle runs straight at the big sticks, and the guy on the right heads for the right forward pocket.

I reckon Port, Hawthorn and Sydney have definite patterns of ball movement, set up by general running patterns. The Swans love to kick the ball diagonally across the centre square, from the corner on the HBF to the opposite corner on the HFF. They cut the Dogs up half a dozen times doing that at Docklands in Rnd 22.

Basically this.

I have noticed something Trent Cotchin does immensely well, which is when player x has marked the ball, say on the back 50 wing, and is looking for a player to chip to, Cotchin will jog up to an opponent, push off their chest and run back toward player x for an easy chip mark gaining 20 meters.

Imagine if we had 22 players all doing that.

lol imagine seeing 10 players lining up NFL style every time someone takes a mark then running plays like that.

i get what OP is saying though. leading players are up "damn didnt get it" back to position.
having players run certain 'patterns' in the forward line, whether to the man with the ball or away from him, we could have defenders confused and chasing ghosts all day.
the only problem, is that we dont have many players that can drill a pass 30m like a QB.

Tactical potential in the AFL: how do you see the game evolving?

The context of this thread is after having watched the following NFL training tactics clip, so please watch this if you can:

The depth of planned movements in the NFL is obviously far more advanced than the AFL. Due to the free nature of our game, some might say our game has relatively limited tactical potential.

We all know Hardwick is a big fan of American sports. He's met with college teams to discuss tactics.

What are the limitations for in-depth movement tactics in the AFL? Would a team see a benefit if they spent 100s of hours planning, learning, and training for certain planned movements? Or are there simply too many players and too many minutes of play for it to be a realistic tool for winning premierships?

Tactical free kicks are common in soccer / football where set piece plays are practiced regularly according to the opponent. This could be possible in the afl if the opposing team tends to give away free kicks in certain areas within goal range. Tactics that can be practiced at training before a match can be occur. But of course in socca the goal is a goal that could decide the game. Still in dying stages of a tight match it could be the edge

Basically this.

You have zero idea if you think 22 blokes every game dont do this for all their possesions. JESUS!!!

You have zero idea if you think 22 blokes every game dont do this for all their possesions. JESUS!!!
Show me a clip of another player jogging up to their opponent, pushing off their chest and running back for a mark. I'm yet to see any other player do it the way Cotchin does it. I'm not talking about 1on1s in a marking contest, mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back