TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
I think it's time for me to take a break from horse racing as it's starting to become a problem for me.
I feel like I'm forever chasing losses, getting into an endless cycle of debt due to my gambling.
I used to be able to pick winners quite regularly, last couple months it feels like the universe is conspiring against me and everything with my coin on it somehow finds a way to lose.
Last straw was yesterday when I had money on a well tried fav and it lost to a 35-1 chance.
Most frustrating part is the second guessing myself, initially liking a horse then changing my mind and the initial selection wins, has happened to many times to count :(

I've self excluded myself from Bet 365 for 6 months and have imposed deposit limits on my other few accounts.
Anyway thinking I might just stick to the AFL this year, starting to realise why some call horse racing a mugs game.

I think it's time for me to take a break from horse racing as it's starting to become a problem for me.

Im sorry to hear that mate at least you were mature enough as a punter to see and understand the problem yourself and do something actively about it. So kudos to you.

When you go through a run of losses its always been recommended by professionals to take a break from punting altogether which given what you state above looks like a smart option you have taken.

If the temptation gets really bad which I am hoping it doesnt, maybe try "paper bets". ie You may want to write down your bets on paper and see how you would have gone without placing them with a bookie. Wait till you start doing really well before you consider migrating back to the bookie. You may never want to return to punting again after a time away and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Every punter goes through a run of losses, so I can assure you you are not alone in this company You can always PM if you want to chat further.

Take it easy.

Last edited:
I lost money recently chasing punting theories, and in hindsight I really should have tested the theory with paper bets. Felt like an idiot for diving in with real funds on an untested theory.

I think you've done a wise thing in taking a break. Use the time wisely and come back when you know you are ready.

Thanks for the kind words guys, wasn't sure if I should have made this thread but good to get it off my chest.
Sounds a bit corny but I'm going to buy a moneybox and put in the money I would set aside for horse racing each week and try and build it up.
Might try out those paper bets if I ever wish to return to it, looking forward to the AFL season.
Danger with racing is it's on everyday and every night, so it's hard to escape from it sometimes.

first thing to do is each day if you get the paper, take out the form guide and either burn it or throw it away so the temptation isnt there to look at it. remove the icons from betting sites from your computer and take a walk away from a radio or tv if the temptation gets strong.

all punters go through a time like this, but it takes maturity and guts to admit it and change behaviours. great stuff on taking those first steps.

Well done,very very tough to do.
Discipline is not sexy but will be a great help in the long run

seth

Good luck mate, take it easy I found when I was going through a bit of a rough patch loosing a bit more than I should have I set a few simple goals for myself (ie No greys or trots weekday betting) or I would wait for a particular race day like Blue Diamond or whatever, go with a mate and not take the ATM card. The other thing I found that helped was if I was going to have a bet I would put all of them on for the day Early and then put the wallet alway, set a limit for yourself if you think you can manage or if not, speak to friends or other family members that have 0 knowledge of the punt and find a different activity. I've seen this stuff do some really horrible things to people. Good luck mate.

In those times I've really had some shockers and lost more than I could afford.
Or worse even gambled using money meant for something else and lying about it.
I found myself getting quite depressed so it's probably for the best for now.
I do enjoy punting as it can be good fun but need to remember to be responsible before returning to it.

In those times I've really had some shockers and lost more than I could afford.
Or worse even gambled using money meant for something else and lying about it.
I found myself getting quite depressed so it's probably for the best for now.
I do enjoy punting as it can be good fun but need to remember to be responsible before returning to it.
The bet regret is the worst feeling, I find its just easier to cut my losses and walk away for a period. Cudos to you for stepping up and admitting you're in need of a break :thumbsu:

I feel like I'm forever chasing losses, getting into an endless cycle of debt due to my gambling.
I used to be able to pick winners quite regularly, last couple months it feels like the universe is conspiring against me and everything with my coin on it somehow finds a way to lose.
Last straw was yesterday when I had money on a well tried fav and it lost to a 35-1 chance.
Most frustrating part is the second guessing myself, initially liking a horse then changing my mind and the initial selection wins, has happened to many times to count :(

I've self excluded myself from Bet 365 for 6 months and have imposed deposit limits on my other few accounts.
Anyway thinking I might just stick to the AFL this year, starting to realise why some call horse racing a mugs game.

You need to switch to mystery bets when this starts happening. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done on having the maturity and self-control to identify the issue and do something about it.

The feeling of 'bet regret', which formed the basis of the recent Gambler's Help campaign is legitimate and does exist; the fact you've acted on yours is admirable and the right decision to make.

That you felt comfortable to open up in this forum is a fantastic thing, in my opinion, as everyone who has replied has embraced your decision and shown great support. Your decision to share your feelings here may give others the confidence to do it in future should they encounter any challenging times with the punt.

We see so many on other boards point the fingers and act as keyboard warriors. Occasionally we can do the same after a bad ride or missed shot at goal. But supporting someone facing a difficult decision/dilemma shows character of folk on this board.

Finally, I concur with suggestions of paper bets and bet limits. Regarding racing teasing us everyday (this is to all) try not to bet when you don't like anything on the card. If you don't have time to do form or isolate a few runners, stay out! Good luck, everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words guys, wasn't sure if I should have made this thread but good to get it off my chest.
Sounds a bit corny but I'm going to buy a moneybox and put in the money I would set aside for horse racing each week and try and build it up.
Might try out those paper bets if I ever wish to return to it, looking forward to the AFL season.
Danger with racing is it's on everyday and every night, so it's hard to escape from it sometimes.

I take breaks every now and then when things aren't going my way and l find the best way to approach it is to completely shift any focus you have from racing. I know it sounds hard but you'd be surprised how quickly you can forget about it after a period of time. I am a little bit different to some of the other people on here (not saying either method is right or wrong, different things work for different people) in that if l take a break l don't like to do paper bets or even look at form. I find one of the things that tempts you into restarting punting when your not ready is writing down bets only to check later and seeing that you would have had a successful day. That can trick you into thinking your going ok when in reality if you have a gambling problem (and I'm sure most people at some stage have been through this) you don't only bet what you have written down for the day. A lot of the time you might have a decent collect and then send some of that round on something you don't normally or wouldn't normally bet on. That is the addiction side of gambling kicking in and what separates the very small % of people with the discipline to be winning punters from the majority of mug punters.

Anyway good luck with it, l hope you can get to a place where you are in control of your punting. Just remember to be careful and take your time, like you said there's racing day and night, every day, all year round. It doesn't matter if you miss races or meetings there's always another one.

Never hurts to take a step back for a while if you're not enjoying it.

Always remember that there's around 20,000 horse races in Australia every year. You can drop in and out whenever you like and there's always something to come back to.

It should always be for enjoyment. I always ask myself if I'd still be enjoying this if I was only staking $2 on each race. The answer is yes, the thrill is doing the form and picking a winner which I enjoy. Would you still have fun with $20 for a day's racing? Or would you be cursing if you won because you didn't bet more? If so you're in it for the money - and that's not great because for all those winners there'll be plenty of losers.

As for it being a mugs game, we all lose sight sometimes that we're dealing with unpredictable beasts. They're not motorbikes! They act and perform in illogical and irrational ways sometimes. So do humans, so watch the footy as well!

Never hurts to take a step back for a while if you're not enjoying it.

It should always be for enjoyment.

Good point raised, if the enjoyment is gone its best to always take 5 and sit back for a while. Still think paper bets may be the best option for you as I get a suspicion it may be too hard to go cold turkey so to speak straight away unless you have done so, if you have then dont follow this course of action and stick to your plans of walking away for a while.

Everyone in here has had losing bets and probably endured a losing run, so you are not alone. Be comforted in the fact there are a few in here that would help you if PM, there are also professional organizations that help people in your situation that will be able to offer professional advice that is probably far better than all of us in here. Food for thought.;)

Probably a hypocrite for posting here since I sell tips haha. I applaud you, I always preach and try to teach my clients how to look after and protect a bank, how to stake etc. 10 years ago I was in a mess, I loved punting, too much...one day I had to make a decision, pull my head in, or stop all together. This will be hard to believe, 4 years later I quit my job and punted full time. Take a break and if you return, set aside a bank, set a plan up, bet a % of bank per bet, don't waiver, become robotic like...betting $1 can be just as fun as betting $100. Good luck with it all

Not sure if I'll bet or not but I'll take a look.
What was it?

Fakenham* - Race 3 - 2.That's The Joke

*legit UK track name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back