Talented players who never got fit/were overweight

Remove this Banner Ad

So what if Ash Sampi didn't care that much about being a great AFL footballer? You have to remember that Aboriginal people have a different, more down to earth, possessionless way of life. They don't care about being millionaires, Brownlows, or a house in Claremont. They have a different set of priorities, their earth and family and identity. It's hard to ditch that mindframe after thousands of years just because you're good at sport.

To say he had the heart of a snail is pretty insulting and nasty, and sort of neglectful of realising where the guy comes from. We all have different motivations in life.

The sort of person who has the heart of a snail is that Hill prick who plays for your lot. So forward running, gutless, squibbing, and dirty that the ******* Bullies got rid of him. He's your prime example of gutless. Not Ash Sampi.
So you make excuses for Sampi based on being an aboriginal but then throw Josh Hill in the crap heap...... righto.

Gary Ablett Snr was naturally fit, but can you imagine if he'd actually trained like every other player on the list did?

GAS with Crawford's attitude to training...

Could have been a freak like no one had ever seen before, but on the other hand footy may have become a chore to him then, and he may have given it up or got burnt out.

It's interesting to think about what might have been, though.

I recall hearing stories about Grenville Dietrich that extolled his capacity for food and
ale.

From all accounts he was a top notch player but could not control his nerves hence
his drinking and eating issues.

I am sure many crow eaters will know more and put things to right.

The sort of person who has the heart of a snail is that Hill prick who plays for your lot. So forward running, gutless, squibbing, and dirty that the ******* Bullies got rid of him. He's your prime example of gutless. Not Ash Sampi.

It's ok buddy, let it all out

hill-glendinning.jpg

It's hard to go past Lance Whitnall.

55 and 70 goals as a true CHF in 99-00, then proceeded to rest on his laurels for the best part of a decade. In the end his decline and fat farm visits etc really overshadowed what a gun CHF he was before he took the foot off the gas.

He was compared favourably to Carey at that stage of his career. Such a wasted talent.

Casey Sibosado (not Haselby who did well enough for long enough) would be the best example at Freo. Spent 2 years on an AFL rookie list (2010, 2011) and due to lack of anyone else available was elevated to play in our last game of 2011. He played really well as a forward kicking a goal with first kick but almost had to be stretchered off by half time he was blowing that hard and was subbed out. If you can't even manage to run out half a game as a forward after 2 years of professional training that tells you something. Had all the talent but a complete lack of fitness.

He came from Beagle Bay near Broome - which I think is where Sampi came from? Pretty laid back lifestyle there.

Casey Sibosado (not Haselby who did well enough for long enough) would be the best example at Freo. Spent 2 years on an AFL rookie list (2010, 2011) and due to lack of anyone else available was elevated to play in our last game of 2011. He played really well as a forward kicking a goal with first kick but almost had to be stretchered off by half time he was blowing that hard and was subbed out. If you can't even manage to run out half a game as a forward after 2 years of professional training that tells you something. Had all the talent but a complete lack of fitness.

He came from Beagle Bay near Broome - which I think is where Sampi came from? Pretty laid back lifestyle there.
Have met the guy a few times as he is my neighbors cousin. Unfortunately he absolutely hates football now and doesn't watch it at all anymore. Said that his experience with Fremantle was horrible for him and he was treated badly by several coaching staff members. Obviously I'm not a credible source but sounds like the league as a whole needs to improve the way that indigenous kids from up this way transition down to the city. He struggled for a while and from what he has told me their wasn't much support for him.

Have met the guy a few times as he is my neighbors cousin. Unfortunately he absolutely hates football now and doesn't watch it at all anymore. Said that his experience with Fremantle was horrible for him and he was treated badly by several coaching staff members. Obviously I'm not a credible source but sounds like the league as a whole needs to improve the way that indigenous kids from up this way transition down to the city. He struggled for a while and from what he has told me their wasn't much support for him.

Some adapt to it, some don't, not really the fault of the system. You're going to get plenty of Josh Simpsons for each Cyril Rioli

I like these stories more than the ones about some a-hole who gets 25 of his mates around and gets a rookie pick at most.

My Pies mate reckons Swanny was still going at Schoolies in November when he was drafted. Got a call from Eddie or Bucks and they said "see you tomorrow!" Swan goes "nah we've got the chalet booked until Sunday night."

So what if Ash Sampi didn't care that much about being a great AFL footballer? You have to remember that Aboriginal people have a different, more down to earth, possessionless way of life. They don't care about being millionaires, Brownlows, or a house in Claremont. They have a different set of priorities, their earth and family and identity. It's hard to ditch that mindframe after thousands of years just because you're good at sport.

To say he had the heart of a snail is pretty insulting and nasty, and sort of neglectful of realising where the guy comes from. We all have different motivations in life.

Sampi was hungover that morning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett Snr was naturally fit, but can you imagine if he'd actually trained like every other player on the list did?
Ablett senior never built up his stamina to be a gun midfielder. Ablett junior did in 2007 and we saw How much he improved. If ablett senior did what his kid did stamina wise in the mid eighties then the outcome is unthinkable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back