Talk of cancelling the First Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, easy to say. How can it not be in the back of your mind though, as you are about to send down a barrage of bouncers a week after this tragedy?

The first game back is going to be heart-rending for everyone. Bowlers are going to have it in the back of their minds, same with batsmen. Psychologically its going to be a huge bloc for everyone to get over. One thing is for sure though, the longer the next game is delayed the worse it will be.

Can't see how a funeral in Sydney and time to prepare for the first test can both happen. Either Start 2 days after funeral, postpone, or cancel.

Can't see how a funeral in Sydney and time to prepare for the first test can both happen. Either Start 2 days after funeral, postpone, or cancel.
The funeral might not be in Sydney either, it might be in macksville which is going to be quite a time consuming place to get in and out of.

In all honesty, I think the game will go ahead, albeit delayed for a couple of days. There will be a few players who won't be able to take to the pitch for months, and there will be some that will be able to get back out there. Being out on the pitch could be a healing thing as well. All the players know that it would be what Phillip would have wanted. Somehow, the understanding of this being a rare, freakish event may help to heal the wounds faster. Doesn't take away the pain, but I feel a lot of players might reside in the fact that it was a rare event and that Phillip would want the game to go on including every aspect of it. Think about the statistics here: only 100 people have ever died from this injury and only 1 person in cricket. Extremely rare.

Grieving has to take place and maybe playing the game might assist this in some way. Either way, any decision will be the correct one.

Grade cricket in Melbourne going ahead. James Pattinson and Clint McKay amongst other first-class players have been named for their clubs, interested to see whether they play.

Not to mention there will be time set aside for a respectful acknowledgment of the sad passing of Hughes which is something that needs to be done well. I presume if they are up to it, it may involve a member from his family. For this to happen it couldnt be achieved a day or two after a funeral.

"India's tour match against a Cricket Australia XI in Adelaide, scheduled to be played on Friday and Saturday, was cancelled on Thursday night. Sutherland said the BCCI had been extremely supportive given the tragic circumstances.

"We've been in constant contact with the officials from the Indian cricket board and I've got to say that their understanding and empathy has been absolutely outstanding," Sutherland said. "They completely understand the situation. They're doing everything they can to do that.

"They'll prepare themselves in the best way possible. They understand that these are unique and extraordinary circumstances and I guess if the Test match goes ahead, both teams will have a very different sort of preparation."

Well done India, Respect. :thumbsu:

Maybe we can do our part to help ensure it is a peaceful yet competitive Test series.

Whenever we do end up getting the Test going it will be quite interesting viewing as to who is the first to 'break the ice' by bowling a bouncer at someone's throat..

It might be something extraordinary, but maybe in the First Test, there may be a gentleman's agreement between the captains to put away the bouncer as a sign of respect.

Will the Indian bowlers get booed if they start bowling bouncers?

It might be something extraordinary, but maybe in the First Test, there may be a gentleman's agreement between the captains to put away the bouncer as a sign of respect.

Will the Indian bowlers get booed if they start bowling bouncers?

Just doesn't sit right with me, if anything it gives more ammunition to those misguided folks who want to push this idea that the bouncer is simply an attempt to cause as much injury as possible to a batsmen rather than a legitimate and integral part of what makes our sport special.

The hughes injury was a freakish almost unthinkable tragedy and when our blokes are ready to play again i think they need to play the game as they always have, anybody who would condemn them or the opposition for that clearly never really understood or loved the game of test cricket.

Just doesn't sit right with me, if anything it gives more ammunition to those misguided folks who want to push this idea that the bouncer is simply an attempt to cause as much injury as possible to a batsmen rather than a legitimate and integral part of what makes our sport special.

The hughes injury was a freakish almost unthinkable tragedy and when our blokes are ready to play again i think they need to play the game as they always have, anybody who would condemn them or the opposition for that clearly never really understood or loved the game of test cricket.

Look thats fine and I respect your opinion.

But the question has to be asked while it is still very very raw can India bowl the bouncer directed deliberately at our players and for the crowd to not boo or abuse them. I have never heard an opposition crowd boo a bouncer before so it is going to be a very very interesting Test series. Lets not forget India do have a couple of genuine fast bowlers that are around the 145kmhr mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes that is my thoughts exactly.

Still, the first bouncer that gets bowled during the series will no doubt get an interesting response from the crowd.

But in time that will go away. Cricket will move on, life will move on. It has to at some point, but not just for a while yet. As I said in the Hughes thread, for some people cricket might have changed forever. He's not the first to die on a cricket field, but it's certainly the most public - in the sense that he is the most well known to have this occur. Also that it would be one of very few (maybe the only?) were there is vision only adds to that.

But the question has to be asked while it is still very very raw can India bowl the bouncer directed deliberately at our players and for the crowd to not boo or abuse them. I have never heard an opposition crowd boo a bouncer before so it is going to be a very very interesting Test series. Lets not forget India do have a couple of genuine fast bowlers that are around the 145kmhr mark.
I can see it happening, but I hope they don't. As hard as this is, we have to, at some point get back to normality, and that includes playing cricket as it was prior to Tuesday.

No one should be booing the bouncer or anyone bowling the bouncer, its part of the game and it should be respected. I'm sure that cricketers would not want to get booed when a bouncer is bowled, it's disrespectful to the game and the situation.

Booing the bouncer does nothing to benefit the game and shows a lack of respect to this situation and especially Sean Abott who probably already feels s**t about the delivery and the tragedy that took place. Anyone that boos the bouncer IMO is a ****ing idiot and should not be part of the crowd.

Spot on!

No one should be booing the bouncer or anyone bowling the bouncer, its part of the game and it should be respected. I'm sure that cricketers would not want to get booed when a bouncer is bowled, it's disrespectful to the game and the situation.

Booing the bouncer does nothing to benefit the game and shows a lack of respect to this situation and especially Sean Abott who probably already feels s**t about the delivery and the tragedy that took place. Anyone that boos the bouncer IMO is a ****ing idiot and should not be part of the crowd.
There are always idiots at the cricket. How can that be stopped?

Im sure a few idiots would boo when the indians first bowled short, we had idiots last summer booing a non walking pom who you could argue plays his cricket much like an aussie so people will always do stupid things at the cricket but i would hate for the teams to actually let those sorts of people influence how they play the game.

The way the game is played should not be affected by this. People die doing other things much more frequently, such as in road accidents. That does not stop anyone from driving. It was an extremely unfortunate incident but it was also a rare freak incident and should be treated as such.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back