Talk of cancelling the First Test

Remove this Banner Ad

How can they concentrate on a ball 140km 100% time don't be so selfish let the boys grieve for their mate

They can grieve. They have all week to do it. You can't just cancel the whole summer to 'grieve'. I have said a compromise might be a 1 week delay, with the 1st and 2nd tests being back to back.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
They can grieve. They have all week to do it. You can't just cancel the whole summer to 'grieve'. I have said a compromise might be a 1 week delay, with the 1st and 2nd tests being back to back.

Cancel the first test and have a three test series.

Would rescheduling the match be possible? Say like play it after the Sydney test or would that be too difficult because of ODI series etc.?

This isn't very relevant but I find it fitting starting the Test series in Adelaide. Would be a great way for the cricketing community to come together at his current home ground and celebrate a wonderful life.

This isn't very relevant but I find it fitting starting the Test series in Adelaide. Would be a great way for the cricketing community to come together at his current home ground and celebrate a wonderful life.
Sydney/NSW holds a far greater significance to Hughes and his family I'd have thought.

xchadders

Premiership Player
May 26, 2012
tasmania
AFL Club
Adelaide
i couldn't give a crap if they cancelled the first test or the whole series. cricket is the last thing on my mind right now. totally devastating situation.

Cancel the first test and have a three test series.

Fine cancel the match in Adelaide, but the summer begins in Brisbane and ends in Sydney. What is wrong with having a 4 match series, delay for a week. Start the following thursday. Back to back tests, then the back to back Boxing Day/New Years tests. Simple.

Phil's funeral would have to take place at some point during the next week you'd think. That wouldn't be for another few days at least and by then, it would be too close to the start of the match.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Fine cancel the match in Adelaide, but the summer begins in Brisbane and ends in Sydney. What is wrong with having a 4 match series, delay for a week. Start the following thursday. Back to back tests, then the back to back Boxing Day/New Years tests. Simple.

Who gives a * about the tradition of starting a summer in Brisbane.

Australia Day is normally in Adelaide- if that can get shifted for $$$ then Brisbane can be cancelled for Phillip

Sydney/NSW holds a far greater significance to Hughes and his family I'd have thought.
Yeah I know but with what we have currently got, this would have been the best option. It would be great to start at the SCG but there isn't any possible way the locations would be switching.

That's about the only thing they could do if it was decided that the players just couldn't front up to it. The summer schedule is crammed.

Rubbish.

Test 1: December 12-16
Test 2: December 18-23rd
Test 3: Boxing Day
Test 4: New Years

Done, simple. Delay for a week

Who gives a **** about the tradition of starting a summer in Brisbane.

Australia Day is normally in Adelaide- if that can get shifted for $$$ then Brisbane can be cancelled for Phillip

Most cricket fans care, the people who have tickets care, the broadcasters care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish.

Test 1: December 12-16
Test 2: December 18-23rd
Test 3: Boxing Day
Test 4: New Years

Done, simple. Delay for a week
Would you like to play 10 days of cricket across 11 days? That is a MASSIVE ask.

Would you like to play 10 days of cricket across 11 days? That is a MASSIVE ask.

Not really but unless you want to keep it the same, I'm not sure what other option there is. The players get a rest after the Sydney test anyway.

Not really but unless you want to keep it the same, I'm not sure what other option there is. The players get a rest after the Sydney test anyway.
The other, and most reasonable, option is the cancellation of Brisbane. Yes it is unfortunate but at this stage, it's probably the right thing to do.

The other, and most reasonable, option is the cancellation of Brisbane. Yes it is unfortunate but at this stage, it's probably the right thing to do.

I can see Channel 9 loving this option straight off the bat.

Maybe a 2 day delay, so maybe start the Brisbane test on Saturday. Test matches have massive audiences, and not to mention the people who have tickets. There is no 'right' decision here. Personally, I'd still be going ahead with Thursday, with the players under no obligation to play.

Saintly 1969

Draftee
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
When will the funeral be 2nite come on put yourself in the players position it's not like footy if you lose concentration it can be dangerous

I can see Channel 9 loving this option straight off the bat.

Maybe a 2 day delay, so maybe start the Brisbane test on Saturday. Test matches have massive audiences, and not to mention the people who have tickets. There is no 'right' decision here. Personally, I'd still be going ahead with Thursday, with the players under no obligation to play.
I think the broadcasters, the audiences and people who have bought tickets would understand.

Roy boys

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2008
victoria
W

why for u or CA coffers cancel it give the guys 2 weeks to grieve
I like cricket, and play the game but certainly can live without watching it. I honestly think without being disrespectful that it would be overkill to not play. Where would you draw the line ? Do you think the players will all of a sudden be fine in 2 weeks ? If there not do you cancel Adelaide as well. As i said I am not being disrespectful but the game simply must go on and can't wait for anyone.

My mate told me that the Indians do have a couple of half decent fast bowlers who hit well over 140km/hr. We all sadly know what can happen if you miss a ball, I think Cricket Australia needs to mourn.

If this is an AFL game its a totally different story, not saying you cant get injured but I think our players need the time to mourn and heal. Surely sanity must prevail.

If just one player is off his game and they encounter a good bouncer, Im just not sure the timing is right to play the First Test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back