Talk of cancelling the First Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally understand if the test match is cancelled or delayed, it's up to the Australian players and how they feel.

I personally hope that they play the first match even if it's delayed as I think it might help the boys, especially since their will be a massive emphasis on Philip Hughes and (hopefully) the celebration of his life, impact and achievements. They'll want to do it for their mate. Whenever and wherever the first test is played, IMO it'll be one of the most emotionally charged matches in cricket history.

Whatever occurs I hope that the players wishes are respected.

They can grieve. They have all week to do it. You can't just cancel the whole summer to 'grieve'. I have said a compromise might be a 1 week delay, with the 1st and 2nd tests being back to back.

Agreed. Im not saying abandon the First test per se, just the timing is wrong. That is one solution which I agree with.

You can't expect the players - of which at least 4 literally watched Hughes die in front of them - to play back to back test matches across the country days after burying Hughes and ahead of a massive few months (World Cup, Ashes, normal packed schedule as well) without mental well-being issues arising

You can't expect the players - of which at least 4 literally watched Hughes die in front of them - to play back to back test matches across the country days after burying Hughes and ahead of a massive few months (World Cup, Ashes, normal packed schedule as well) without mental well-being issues arising

Canceling the First Test as a sign of respect is the right thing to do.

What if Clarke was fit for the First Test, there is no way he would play. None.

My mate told me that the Indians do have a couple of half decent fast bowlers who hit well over 140km/hr. We all sadly know what can happen if you miss a ball, I think Cricket Australia needs to mourn.

If this is an AFL game its a totally different story, not saying you cant get injured but I think our players need the time to mourn and heal. Surely sanity must prevail.

If just one player is off his game and they encounter a good bouncer, Im just not sure the timing is right to play the First Test.

That's the risk that you take as cricketers and most sportsmen. No one knows how long this might affect players, when would you say it would be okay to return to the cricket field? in 2 weeks? a month? longer?

I totally understand regarding timing and mourning, it's such a sensitive and grey area. Soo many things can distract cricketers which can cause them to miss deliveries. I think it's best left up to the players, if they want to play the test on Thursday then they should go ahead with it otherwise either delay or cancel the test. Whatever happens, the players wishes and welfare is paramount.

When will the funeral be 2nite come on put yourself in the players position it's not like footy if you lose concentration it can be dangerous

Well lets assume the funeral is Monday, usually is only a 2 day turnaround with funerals. Tuesday/Wednesday to grieve and go from there. There will be players that are 'worse' affected than others. They could easily step down and I would not hold anything against them. They have to feel right to play to a certain degree.

As I said there is no 'right' solution. The right decision to some is to play it thursday, to some delay for a week, to others cancel the 1st test. I completely disagree with the latter as Brisbane haven't got many games this year, to take a test away is a bit unfair on everyone concerned in Brisbane.

Those 4 players don't have to play. There should be absolutely no pressure to play. There will be 12 players that will play despite the circumstances. Phil would WANT the game to go on, and for the cricket to be played. Remember he loved the game.

Those 4 players don't have to play. There should be absolutely no pressure to play. There will be 12 players that will play despite the circumstances. Phil would WANT the game to go on, and for the cricket to be played. Remember he loved the game.
you don't know * about what hughes would want

Agreed. Im not saying abandon the First test per se, just the timing is wrong. That is one solution which I agree with.

As I said with the WC the schedule is so packed. The only sort of gap is between the 1st and 2nd tests. That could be the compromise. Even a couple of days- test stating Saturday could be another solution.

you don't know **** about what hughes would want

He loved the game. CA could easily put on a show to CELEBRATE his life and let every single spectator and viewer celebrate it. It is a very sensitive issue, and frankly whatever CA decide I will support the decision. Personally though, here has to be 4 tests. As it is we have reduced the series to 4 tests rather than 5.

Whatever decision has to have Phil's passing in mind and I am sure CA will do that.

I'll leave it at that, as there is no way we will agree, and there will be a million people with different ideas as to what should happen.

As I said with the WC the schedule is so packed. The only sort of gap is between the 1st and 2nd tests. That could be the compromise. Even a couple of days- test stating Saturday could be another solution.

I am not sure when the funeral is, but the timing is all but wrong. We cannot field our best(mentally well) XI and India have their own issues. This is the time to mourn and heal.

Sure some may need longer to heal, but to start a Test Series inside 5-6 days is just plain wrong.

I am not sure when the funeral is, but the timing is all but wrong. We cannot field our best(mentally well) XI and India have their own issues. This is the time to mourn and heal.

Sure some may need longer to heal, but to start a Test Series inside 5-6 days is just plain wrong.

Well some would say 2 weeks is too short to start a series too, but where do you draw the line? There is no correct decision. Personally whatever CA decide I trust will be the right one for all parties. I just hope all the major venues are given a chance to celebrate his life, and there are small gestures that one could do in order for this to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well some would say 2 weeks is too short to start a series too, but where do you draw the line? There is no correct decision. Personally whatever CA decide I trust will be the right one for all parties. I just hope all the major venues are given a chance to celebrate his life, and there are small gestures that one could do in order for this to happen.

Yep. I totally agree with you. But when is the funeral? I know as humans we encounter various strategies in our lives, it normally takes a few days to at least start eating and sleeping properly. Im not sure. I dont know. Look as you said where do you draw the line?

But if some of the players dont want to play is it really a good look that others step in and play???? I cannot believe that some of the guys will be ready inside a week.

If this happened during the test series, I would probably say the series would be called off?

For a guide look at what happened in Sharjah, the Paki-NZ test was extended by a day, as the day was abandoned out of respect.

That looks like the best course of action. Delay the First Test by a couple of days and start on Saturday. Maybe afford the Indian team a tour match on Monday.

you don't know **** about what hughes would want
Relax mate. Every cricketer who reaches the level that Phillip did loves the game. He would have wanted it to go on. I worry for the players safety though, as has been said earlier, cricket is a game of concentration and we can't be playing with guys' minds elsewhere. It's too dangerous.

Relax mate. Every cricketer who reaches the level that Phillip did loves the game. He would have wanted it to go on. I worry for the players safety though, as has been said earlier, cricket is a game of concentration and we can't be playing with guys' minds elsewhere. It's too dangerous.
as much as he would have wanted the game to go on, these men are going to be mentally exhausted - tough call either way :(

I just cannot fathom how guys like Warner, Watson etc. can play a game of cricket after witnessing their mate die right in front of them on a cricket pitch.

It's not a game like footy, where the motivation and passion of losing someone can empower you to play better. Cricket is a game of concentration and focus, and in the back of the Australian batsmen minds they are constantly going to be thinking about Phillip Hughes.

Cancel it entirely. I understand the game must go on, but the circumstances of Hughes' death has severely impacted Cricket as we know it.

I like how people think grieving is an exact science.. 'two day turnaround'. * me, just give the players as much time as they need. If they means we lose a test then so be it.

I just cannot fathom how guys like Warner, Watson etc. can play a game of cricket after witnessing their mate die right in front of them on a cricket pitch.

It's not a game like footy, where the motivation and passion of losing someone can empower you to play better. Cricket is a game of concentration and focus, and in the back of the Australian batsmen minds they are constantly going to be thinking about Phillip Hughes.

Cancel it entirely. I understand the game must go on, but the circumstances of Hughes' death has severely impacted Cricket as we know it.

They can't and it's unreasonable to expect them to do so. Not only would they understandably be distracted by the tragedy that befell a teammate but (although they would understandably never admit it) they would likely be still in a stage where they would say to themselves, "that could have easily been me instead of Phil".

Such a feeling would take time to get over and for that reason I'm in favour of cancellation and/or postponement and I would not blame any player for sitting out for longer than that if they felt it was necessary.

Although discussing it now isn't appropriate, I would figure that going the test is more likely to be postponed/rescheduled than cancelled from a pragmatic perspective, simply because CA may not be able to take the financial hit. It is unfortunate that the financial fiend doesn't go away when tragedy strikes. :(

I think the first test should go ahead, as a tribute with black armbands and a minutes silence. However,players who don't feel that they are mentally up to competing in a test match should be able to opt out of the match without any critical judgement.

I think the first test should go ahead, as a tribute with black armbands and a minutes silence. However,players who don't feel that they are mentally up to competing in a test match should be able to opt out of the match without any critical judgement.

This. Sort of my thoughts. Wait and see I guess

Pretty insensitive the funeral will be on prob min or tues and 2 days later your supposed to concentrate on a 140km missile its sport
I know what you're saying. There would also be plenty on this board who have had team mates die and then played on the Saturday.
But not in the full glare of the media and most probably haven't had their mates die playing the sport. Both those things could add to the impact on players as could atteding a funeral a long way from the match location.

To be honest, whether it goes ahead or not doesn't matter that much - provided whichever decision is for the right reasons. I do fear, as expressed by an earlier poster, that that game might go ahead simply because Nine want it to. That would be just add to the great injustice fate has dealt here.

Its down to the players well being now, having seen Warner,Wade and others with Phill, it feels right to let these guys know that the cricket world cares for them. When they are ready to play, we will give them a fitting welcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back