Talk of cancelling the First Test

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how people think grieving is an exact science.. 'two day turnaround'. **** me, just give the players as much time as they need. If they means we lose a test then so be it.

This.

Will say it again, it's not a cricket issue, I don't get 'draw the line' viewpoint....who really cares if a test is missed, it's not a factor. This isn't a common occurrence, so there is no point drawing parallels with anything similar possibly occurring. I would be hopeful and would like if it they played, but if they are not mentally ready for it, then they should be supported 110% if they don't play.

They're not really celebrating his life if they go out and get belted because they aren't mentally equipped to play.

The team being his friend first and teammates second, along with Hughes family and them only should decide whether they're right to go or not.

PrideOf

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AFC
Well, the BCCI has made it very clear what they think:

“Postponed because of one player? I don’t think so,” a BCCI spokesman told The Advertiser.

And don't forget that India went the West Indies Cricket Board for $60-odd million in compensation last month.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...hughes-situation/story-fndpt0dy-1227136907954

Indian cricket, this is your chance to prove to our nation that we are wrong in thinking that you are a bunch of petulant, selfish, money-hungry, amoral pricks.

Last edited:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

And don't forget that India went the West Indies Cricket Board for $60-odd million in compensation last month.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...hughes-situation/story-fndpt0dy-1227136907954

Indian cricket, this is your chance to prove to our nation that we are wrong in thinking that you are a bunch of petulant, selfish, money-hungry, amoral pricks.

Those comments were said before Hughes died to put things in perspective

PrideOf

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AFC

Agreed, but the comments also still stand: Hughes is still just one player.

As I said, this is the chance for Indian cricket to stand up and show us what they're really made out of.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agreed, but the comments also still stand: Hughes is still just one player.

As I said, this is the chance for Indian cricket to stand up and show us what they're really made out of.

I don't really see what choice India has

If we decide to not play the 1st Test are they going to rock up and play no one?

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the first test should go ahead, as a tribute with black armbands and a minutes silence. However,players who don't feel that they are mentally up to competing in a test match should be able to opt out of the match without any critical judgement.

I don't care if it's cancelled now, my preference would be to reschedule the Brisbane match, but, if any of our first XI don't want to play, then we don't play.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

Obviously said prior to his death, but the decision is ours, not theirs.

I haven't read the posts here and I'm sure there are opinions for both sides and all with merit.

My personal opinion is that if the players feel up to it, then it should go ahead. No doubt Hughes himself would want that, and I see it as a way for the players to be able to come together and support each other in a tough time anyway. Get together, remember their mate and pay tribute, and hopefully help with the healing process.

From the outside that's how I see it but fully respect the decision of any player, or the team/s as a group, if they choose not to.

Those comments were made when most of us were assuming he'd make a full recovery ffs.

James Sutherland addressing the media now - i don't think the test will go ahead

BREAKING: James Sutherland says Indian cricket officials have been fully briefed
  • Sutherland says cricket will continue at Test level "when we're ready".
  • He says Australian officials have been in constant contact with Indian cricket officials.
  • "Their understanding and empathy has been outstanding," he says.
  • "They understand that these are unique and extraordinary circumstances."
  • He says it's well known Phillip Hughes and Michael Clarke were "very close".
  • Sutherland says Sean Abbott is "holding up very well".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

evdo1706

All Australian
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

That, plus it's attributed to an unnamed official. The Indian players may have a completely different view.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Besides I don't think BCCI earns money from an overseas tour. Indian broadcasters would have bought the rights from CA not BCCI. So if there is any financial loss it would be entirely CA's. BCCI does not really have a say in it IMO.

Been saying it all along that the Test should be cancelled one or two arrogant posters getting at those for suggesting something that CA looks likely to implement.

From the press conference, I do believe CA wants the game to to go ahead however ONLY if the players are mentally ready. There is a LONG time between now and Thursday. No decision will be made till after the funeral and rightly so.

From the press conference, I do believe CA wants the game to to go ahead however ONLY if the players are mentally ready. There is a LONG time between now and Thursday. No decision will be made till after the funeral and rightly so.

When is the funeral? Tuesday or Wednesday?

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Your guess is as good as my guess. I would assume Monday or Tuesday. Tuesday at the latest.
You make it sound like it's a deadline, the funeral will be when the family decide it happens not anyone else saying it should happen just so they can play a precious game of cricket.

The GOAT

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Hawthorn

A week is not a long time in the context of mourning a teammate's death though. There will be a decision before the funeral IMO, and it will very likely be a cancellation or postponement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back