Tasmanian football landscape not as simple as it may seem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good article. Only people that really matter in regards to Tassie are Tasmanians. Most, like us in Victoria, barracked for the AFL team. They like the Hawks cause we have brought them a chance to see regular AFL footy, and no doubt a fair few have jumped on board a train that is tracking pretty well.

I just hope they do get asked what they want, as they are being treated like shite at the moment

Flanagan is an excellent writer about Tassie footy. He's from country Tassie and knows what he is talking about, as opposed to Tim Lane who seems to be trying to use the issue of a Tassie team. Being from there myself, the Hawks have done a scarily good job since getting into the market. The number of local kids who are Hawks supporters is immense. Historically Tassie used to be a Richmond/Saints/Hawks state because of Hart/Baldock/Hudson. However of those, the Hawks are the only ones who really invested. A good friend of mine used to help the Saints when they were playing games in Tassie and she was continually criticising the lack of committment the Saints used to show - no school visits, no skills camps etc, really just FIFO for them.

Hawthorn when they play there usually use the week before and after to really get into schools, run camps and meet and greets and it's paying off. The current membership base is split between Hawks fans and people like my father in law who is fourth gen Pies, but has a Hawks membership to see AFL. In the next 5-10 years I predict you'll see a big upswing in Hawks members down here as the kids get to that 15-20 age bracket.

The argument against a Tassie team that Flanagan puts forward are pretty much the thinking of most serious AFL supporters in the State. Tassie people have had teams for generations, I can't see enough getting behind it and ditching their 'first' team for it to be successful. You'd be expecting a sizeable percentage of people, in the poorest State to either give up a tribal loyalty they've had for generations or pay for two memberships.

Flanagan is an excellent writer about Tassie footy. He's from country Tassie and knows what he is talking about, as opposed to Tim Lane who seems to be trying to use the issue of a Tassie team. Being from there myself, the Hawks have done a scarily good job since getting into the market. The number of local kids who are Hawks supporters is immense. Historically Tassie used to be a Richmond/Saints/Hawks state because of Hart/Baldock/Hudson. However of those, the Hawks are the only ones who really invested. A good friend of mine used to help the Saints when they were playing games in Tassie and she was continually criticising the lack of committment the Saints used to show - no school visits, no skills camps etc, really just FIFO for them.

Hawthorn when they play there usually use the week before and after to really get into schools, run camps and meet and greets and it's paying off. The current membership base is split between Hawks fans and people like my father in law who is fourth gen Pies, but has a Hawks membership to see AFL. In the next 5-10 years I predict you'll see a big upswing in Hawks members down here as the kids get to that 15-20 age bracket.

The argument against a Tassie team that Flanagan puts forward are pretty much the thinking of most serious AFL supporters in the State. Tassie people have had teams for generations, I can't see enough getting behind it and ditching their 'first' team for it to be successful. You'd be expecting a sizeable percentage of people, in the poorest State to either give up a tribal loyalty they've had for generations or pay for two memberships.

While I understand what you say, didn't the same scenario occur in SA and WA? The Eagles and the Crows were new teams and their support just took off, despite many locals having SANFL and VFL teams they supported forever.

It is interesting that Port Adelaide, the only pre-existing team which entered the AFL, is struggling financially and has got the lowest crowd support.

I think Tassies will welcome and support a new team. I think the problems will be financial. Whether there is enough financial support for the team is another problem altogether.

While I understand what you say, didn't the same scenario occur in SA and WA? The Eagles and the Crows were new teams and their support just took off, despite many locals having SANFL and VFL teams they supported forever.

It is interesting that Port Adelaide, the only pre-existing team which entered the AFL, is struggling financially and has got the lowest crowd support.

I think Tassies will welcome and support a new team. I think the problems will be financial. Whether there is enough financial support for the team is another problem altogether.

And that's the problem with the Kangaroo scenario. A financailly fragile club in it's own backyard will likely struggle in Hobart.
The Hawks model has been successful but without the state government money it would likely be break even at best. We have all heard the rumour that we are looking for an oval in the burbs which has the potetnial to match Launceston.

A stand alone team would likely unite the north and the south but would struggle to financially compete.

Rock and a hard place.

Good article. Only people that really matter in regards to Tassie are Tasmanians. Most, like us in Victoria, barracked for the AFL team. They like the Hawks cause we have brought them a chance to see regular AFL footy, and no doubt a fair few have jumped on board a train that is tracking pretty well.

I just hope they do get asked what they want, as they are being treated like shite at the moment

Agree entirely. We think we're being badly treated, then we should spare a thought fot the footy lovers in Tassie.

I don't know why I wouldn't have considered it but apparently the hawks have to get permission from the afl prior to each new contract with Tasmania being negotiated - I believe this contract expires in 2016 - I can see the afl saying no this time around.

It will be interesting then to see if the tassie government would then be prepared to offer a similar deal to north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Tassie to have its own team it would need another million people on the island. But most of the state is locked up as national parks. What is needed is a major capital works program that reclaims land out of Bass Strait.
The reclaimed land would have quantity rainfall for farming and the new sea coast could be sold off.

For Tassie to have its own team it would need another million people on the island. But most of the state is locked up as national parks. What is needed is a major capital works program that reclaims land out of Bass Strait.
The reclaimed land would have quantity rainfall for farming and the new sea coast could be sold off.

Whaaa....daaa.....

Mkay then...

I'm not sure. A good mate of mine was born in Bunbury (1972), grew up a big Carlton fan, but when West Coast came into the league he switched teams. All depends on the pull of 'home' each person has.

I have been a lifetime Hawk. Would I support Tasmania at the expense of Hawthorn? ATM I would say no. If the Games are based in Hobart I cannot see Northern/North Western/West Coast supporters spending 6 - 8 hrs on the road to watch a game regularly. Hence, what would the crowd numbers be? Does anyone have any idea what the projected average attendance would be over a season?

What does Tassie offer the players over and above their football wage. i.e. other corporate opportunities. This will be a huge drawback. I think player retention could be a huge issue. Tassie will need equal the concessions GWS got and ongoing support. That would certainly be popular.

AFL Tasmania have had numerous bites at the cherry to get Statewide footy right and are still stuffing it up.

I think Hawks 4 games North 2 was the perfect balance. However, North were always going to want a bigger slice of the pie. The complete disrepect/disregard the AFL has shown for the work HFC has put into making the Tasmanian relationship work is a disgrace. They want us out they can fully compensate us or ggf.

BTW I recently met a Hawks member who has a North membership as well. No way in hell could I do that. Tassie maybe.

Had a beer with a ex West Coast Supporter (successful businessman) (living in Launceston) the other day who has changed to the Hawks out of respect for what they have contributed to Launceston. Kudos sir.

Care to elaborate?
The rumor has it that the club is looking for a venue to 1) have behind closed door training sessions and 2) to play games against smaller drawing clubs whilst still maximizing revenue through a clean stadium.

Has some merit but seeing and doing are two different things.

Your an "ideas man" Todman.

Would I support Tasmania at the expense of Hawthorn? ATM I would say no. If the Games are based in Hobart I cannot see Northern/North Western/West Coast supporters spending 6 - 8 hrs on the road to watch a game regularly

I would buy a Tas membership as in addition to a Hawks one (and I suspect plenty of other Tasmanians who live in Melbourne would do so as well) Tasmanians largelywould support a Tas team and drop their other teams if and only if it was a Tas team (agree with your point - north vs south thing needs to be addressed - two hours each way in a car is doable though from Launceston). The AFL are utterly delusional if they think they can simply transplant North down there. Feel sorry for North fans, they are being sold fools gold.

Tas team with the old Tas logo not blue and white stripes. Tas vs Victoria at North Hobart were brilliant games.

Tasmanian team would easily be financial given stadium arrangements.

The complete disrepect/disregard the AFL has shown for the work HFC has put into making the Tasmanian relationship work is a disgrace. They want us out they can fully compensate us or ggf.

They wouldn't fully compensate Hawthorn re Waverley. Nor did we get the 11 home MCG games they promised. Why would this time be any different? They cant be trusted.

The title to this thread is "Tasmanian football landscape not as simple as it may seem.

You've proved it!

What does Tassie offer the players over and above their football wage. i.e. other corporate opportunities. This will be a huge drawback. I think player retention could be a huge issue. Tassie will need equal the concessions GWS got and ongoing support. That would certainly be popular.

Over Melbourne and Sydney - lower cost of housing, nature, a quiet place to live.

Compared to Adelaide, and I think Hobart wins hands down.

Over Melbourne and Sydney - lower cost of housing, nature, a quiet place to live.

Compared to Adelaide, and I think Hobart wins hands down.

Yeah thats why I love Tassie. I suppose it will suit some not others. Roughy would probably love it. Need to poach Graeme Wright ;) he could sell the place. Long time not hear Bayer where you bin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back