Tasmanian Football Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be a long year for Claremont and Friends I think. Just went and watched a practice match between the two and wasn't very pretty. Former Claremont and Oatlands rover Dale "Rat" Evans will win Friends' B&F by a street, I can see it now!

Elsewhere, Former Glenorchy and Bothwell player Jarrod Horne has apparently gone to Richmond in the Old Scholars.

These two would have been handy for your mob, Ozguy!

Finally, Matthew Honey is going to possibly return to DOSA, has apparently trained with the Roosters and is none too keen on staying at Brighton as rumour has it, former Richmond draftee Alex Gilmour has quit the club also!

Friends are going to have the bulk of the Oatlands Reserves who werent overly competitive last year. Wait until the Reports start piling up.

Jarrod has good friends who play at Richmond, so he wanted to go and have a run with them.

Rat certainly would have been handy as well.

Friends had quite a few out of their best team, they were a very short team last night which didnt help.
things looking a lot more positive this year than they did at the same time as last.

Sorry boys, I have been away for a while and I noticed that someone has STOLEN $$$ and has resigned , and also saw a photo of Noel Morrison posted by kingpin. Has Morrison left, if so I know that he has been in trouble before for $$$$ maters and I think he has served some time over it.

Welcome back Bakerman ;)

Morrison has indeed left, whilst officially I think he resigned due to health problems I don't think he will ever be allowed back due to this! One of the reasons why I believe the SFL is really trying to hush this up is because of his past troubles. i.e. shouldn't have put appointed him in the position in the first place.

Do you know how Kingbourough went against Smithton in their practice match on the weekend? Hobart played before them against North Launceston and lost 130ish to 70ish over 6 quarters. Not too bad an effort considering they had a full strength side and we were missing about 8 of our regular senior players including our assistant coach, our 3 devils players and captain from last year. Hobart was ahead a quarter time but should have been up by a fair bit more.

Motty said:
When do all the various seasons (SFL, NTFL, DFA, etc) start up?

AFLST Premier League officially kicks off on March 31st at North Hobart with North Hobart Vs Glenorchy in a Twillight Game, this match is from Round 4. Glenorchy and Noth Hobart's reserves will not be playing that week, they will play Round 4. The senior lists get the week off in Round 4.

The official first round of the season is on April 8th.

Dosa Footy Club will be using Cadburys Oval as there home ground for this season and beyond, they have leased the newly refurbished clubrooms from St Annes Cricket Club and the Glenorchy Council has agreed to a lease agreement.

Gracie18 said:
Dosa Footy Club will be using Cadburys Oval as there home ground for this season and beyond, they have leased the newly refurbished clubrooms from St Annes Cricket Club and the Glenorchy Council has agreed to a lease agreement.
Sounds good for them, at least now there is another oval available now.

The Majestic said:
Sounds good for them, at least now there is another oval available now.

I've played cricket there before, you spend the whole time checking your strides cause you think you've sh*t yourself because of the smell from the chocolate factory

Grover said:
(a) Friends had quite a few out of their best team, they were a very short team last night which didnt help.
(b) things looking a lot more positive this year than they did at the same time as last.

(a) One would bloody hope so for the sake of you guys! There were guys running around in board shorts, 3/4 length pants and the bloody runner was wearing jeans, desert boots and a flannie!

(b) One wonders about this. Last year you guys had recruited guys who actually could play: Bowering, Marsland, Barry.... I watched the game with a former Old Scholars player, and agree with him that it will be a very, very long year for the Bulldogs!

Not the best of nights on a personal level for you either, Grover. Benched on more than one occassion! Let me guess, to give the new guys a run?!

Some interesting supporters cheering you guys on - Rebels Motorcycle Club Members among them. They regular supporters or ring ins from Oatlands?

What is big "Richo's" real name?

Which players did you guys have missing from your full strength side?

Is Jason Frawley going to play again?

Gracie18 said:

Interesting news this one.

What happens to all the Little League games now, as Cadburys used to house 3 junior grounds?

Going to be interesting to see where all the supporters sit, especially on those less than ideal days in winter, no under cover areas (with the exception of the bar) and very few car spots with the exception of the Non-Cadbury's end!

Barge said:
Some interesting supporters cheering you guys on - Rebels Motorcycle Club Members among them. They regular supporters or ring ins from Oatlands?
QUOTE]

Apparently the father of one of the ex-Oatlands players is a member. Definitely not from up around the Oatlands area though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barge said:
(a) One would bloody hope so for the sake of you guys! There were guys running around in board shorts, 3/4 length pants and the bloody runner was wearing jeans, desert boots and a flannie!

(b) One wonders about this. Last year you guys had recruited guys who actually could play: Bowering, Marsland, Barry.... I watched the game with a former Old Scholars player, and agree with him that it will be a very, very long year for the Bulldogs!

Not the best of nights on a personal level for you either, Grover. Benched on more than one occassion! Let me guess, to give the new guys a run?!

What is big "Richo's" real name?

Which players did you guys have missing from your full strength side?

Is Jason Frawley going to play again?

This is true about last year we did get some quality players in, only problem is after on or two bad games they ********ed off on the club and left us with no players, very hard to recruit in the middle of the season.

As for the shorts there is a reason for this, we havent received our club shorts yet so if players didnt have proper footy shorts they had to wear what they could or buy a pair they they wont ever use again. i think there was like 2 people not in footy shorts anwyay.

who knows it may be a long year we dont know yet, we have played one game of footy all pre season need to give it a while for everyone to get to know eachother and play as a team.

While everyone was being rotated off the bench if i was coach i personally wouldnt have ever bought myself back on as i admit i was playing one of the worst games ive ever played. but once again first game we have had all year got to get the cobwebs out. every player who played will be better for it.

cant help you on richos real name sorry mate. Yeh Frawls is going to play again.

of the players i can think of off the top of my head out of our best side or pushing for best side is Frawls, Craig Ribbon, Chris Bowles, Cody Mcphie, Adzy Mcphie, Drew Smith, Dirk Armstrong Greg Dear (assistant playing coach) Tom MUrray (if he decides to play)then there is a few more new guys to come back that i dont know much about. notice most of these guys are KPP which is what we desperately lacked on the night.

bakerman said:
Sorry boys, I have been away for a while and I noticed that someone has STOLEN $$$ and has resigned , and also saw a photo of Noel Morrison posted by kingpin. Has Morrison left, if so I know that he has been in trouble before for $$$$ maters and I think he has served some time over it.

Correct!! Welcome back Bakerman :)
I remember this very issue being raised by a couple of supporters on the old SFL Forum on the SFL website in early 2001.
They posted that "Morrison had done time for this only recently" (2000), and when the SFL re-appointed him in a paid position, they questioned the legality of it.

Morrison's response was to threaten legal action against the posters for slander (can't be slander if it's the truth can it?), I'm not sure if he sued or not, but I know he ordered Dan Garlick to remove the forum from the SFL website (and it was a VERY busy forum at the time) and replace it with silly web-polls.
Some time later it was restored back on to the SFL site, but the SFL was copping such an extreme caning from supporters at the time over clubs losing colours and jumpers, the whole "letting the TFL clubs into "our" league" scenario and so forth, so they pulled the pin on the forum altogether, in 2002 I believe, because it wasn't looking good having the forum filled with criticism of the league on the League's official website.
These organisations only like feedback if it's positive ;) they tried that caper on the Hobart website as well, all of a sudden the place went dead overnight, when all these "negative people" weren't allowed to give their feedback.

Barge said:
Going to be a long year for Claremont and Friends I think. Just went and watched a practice match between the two and wasn't very pretty. Former Claremont and Oatlands rover Dale "Rat" Evans will win Friends' B&F by a street, I can see it now!
Is this the same Dale Evans that played a few years back in the Hobart Reserves? Was around the time Gillbee (Seniors), Bobby Willis (Reserves) and "Fabulous" Phil Exton (Colts) were coaching up at Hobart.

just a question,
do you guys work at nights because you always seem to post stuff in the very early hours of the morning:confused:

kempos_kingz_05 said:
just a question,
do you guys work at nights because you always seem to post stuff in the very early hours of the morning:confused:
Not sure about the others but I worked for a long time on the night shift, usually starting at 1 or 2am and have always kept those hours.
I'm just used to being up at that hour :)
Had a bit of an accident about a year and a half back, which meant I wasn't able to work, once I get back to full health again I intend returning to those same hours.

● Had a long chat today with someone involved in football down here, who was saying that Colts football (under 18's) in the Premier League is in a bit of a spot of bother at the moment.
Maybe one of our other posters here from one of the other Colts sides could let us know how numbers are going at their club at the minute, because according to what I hear, only New Norfolk are doing ok numbers wise, the rest are struggling to fill numbers. Apparently Hobart are also struggling for numbers in their Colts at the moment.

It might get to the stage where Colts football might have to be played on Sundays, with the ever increasing numbers of young footballers having to work on Saturdays now, I know when I was still up at Hobart, we lost a lot of young players that wanted to play footy because they needed to work.

Either that, or start playing more night football, where the Colts can start later on in the afternoon.

● I hear that the replacement for Noel Morrison (for the short-term) is Nick Probert from the Burnie Dockers.
I think that was his name, I know it was Probert from up the Coast anyway, and he was involved with the Devils for awhile, and is apparently good mates with Armstrong.

● Speaking of the embezzlement saga, I also heard that charges will be laid over the whole thing. I'll keep an eye out in the Court lists website in the coming weeks and months to see what eventuates over this one.

I play colts at clarence and our numbers have been alright so far. usually the numbers pick up from now untill the start of the season. we should have no trouble fielding a team. doesnt look like anything came of the rumour about changin the colts comps to under 18's??

kempos_kingz_05 said:
I play colts at clarence and our numbers have been alright so far. usually the numbers pick up from now untill the start of the season. we should have no trouble fielding a team. doesnt look like anything came of the rumour about changin the colts comps to under 18's??
Ok cool thanks for that. Yes this next few weeks hopefully things start to pick up a bit.
With the changing of ages for Colts etc, no, nothing came of that, someone did explain what happened with that on this thread somewhere *I think*. :)

Another one too, Sam Unsworth, who left Hobart and went to Kingborough and returned to Hobart this year, Kingborough won't clear him, so it looks as if he might have to stand out of footy for a year.
Wonder what'll happen with that one in the coming weeks.

Kingpin said:
Is this the same Dale Evans that played a few years back in the Hobart Reserves?

No.

The one you're talking about Kingpin, is about 31, and in 2005 played with DOSA. Played with Claremont in 1996.

The one I was referring to came up through Claremont's underage and unfortunately, like a few, sold out to Oatlands for the big dollars!

The one who plays with Friends has "Rabbit" covered. Very good rover! Terribly small, very hard!

Grover said:
As for the shorts there is a reason for this, we havent received our club shorts yet so if players didnt have proper footy shorts they had to wear what they could or buy a pair they they wont ever use again. i think there was like 2 people not in footy shorts anwyay.

Like 2? If there were ONLY two all up wearing boardshorts all up then I am a very poor mathematician!

Grover said:
of the players i can think of off the top of my head out of our best side or pushing for best side is Frawls, Craig Ribbon, Chris Bowles, Cody Mcphie, Adzy Mcphie, Drew Smith, Dirk Armstrong Greg Dear (assistant playing coach) Tom MUrray (if he decides to play)then there is a few more new guys to come back that i dont know much about. notice most of these guys are KPP which is what we desperately lacked on the night.

Pushing for your best side? By God, I'd be disappointed if I was a self-respecting footballer and I wasn't "pushing" for a spot in the Friends 1st XVIII!

Greg Dear? Former Hawthorn Ruckman? By God, he'll sort a few of them out! What, not him? was he the muppet running around in the Eminem clothes with his arm bandaged up? Poor you guys if it was!

"Notice most of these guys are KPP?" Ah NO!

Because bar Frawley, wouldn't know any of their names if I heard them in conversation!

F.F.C. = (Barring a miracle) Will not win a game in 2006!

Barge said:
No.

The one you're talking about Kingpin, is about 31, and in 2005 played with DOSA. Played with Claremont in 1996.

The one I was referring to came up through Claremont's underage and unfortunately, like a few, sold out to Oatlands for the big dollars!

The one who plays with Friends has "Rabbit" covered. Very good rover! Terribly small, very hard!
Ahh yes Dale "Rabbit" Evans, that's the nickname I was thinkin' of.
Small bloke, left Hobart a while ago, never knew where he went after that.

Copped the biggest smack in the gob ever down at Kermandie in the Reserves one day.
Last quarter of the two's, Hobart 120 points up, doing crumbing work at ruck contest from a throw in down at the Kermandie Clubrooms end in the opposite pocket, when Ben Greene just walks up and job's him - clean out - and gets sent off, and the umpire walks off and abandons the game without reporting Greene with about 15 minutes of the quarter still to run, wouldn't lay a report because he didn't want to travel to Hobart for the tribunal hearing!!!
Greene apparently was still slightly drunk when he was playing. Got banned by Kermandie for a stretch over that little incident.

Hobart beat North Hobart yesterday in a 6 quarter praccy match at the home of football. Hobart seem to be a lot harder and stronger this year and this was really where they delivered yesterday. It was around 45 pts in the finish with the Reserves sides coming on afta the 4th quarter. Both sides had a few players out with Hobart having their 3 mariners players and two devils players out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back