Tasmanian Football Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know the end result of the Nth. Hobart V Sth. Launceston game yesterday??

No, but what I do know is that Lindisfarne defeated DOSA by 8 goals at Abbotsfield Park today.

And a correction to one of my earlier posts, Matthew Honey, and Alex Gimour more importantly, are both staying at Brighton. At the moment anyway. I'll be most surprised if Brighton are 0-6 and DOSA are 6-0 or thereabouts, Honey at least will desert the sinking ship!

Mind you, with him and elder Brother Rick Honey allegedly on $2000 to sign on and $300 a game I think they may tough the season out!

Hate to think if these figures are true, what Gilmour is on!

That $20,000 figure doesn't sound too out of place considering that Brighton offered Hobart youngster Cameron Beck over $5,000 to be a senior assistant coach at the age of 17!

I know its quite substantial but just how much cash do Brighton have? Its like they are playing in the TFL at the start of the 1990's, or copying Kermandie in 2000 with the amount of mony they are throwing around!

Also I heard that Hobart are finally back in the black about 15 years after being close to $750,000 in debt. In saying that they don’t really have any money in the bank and they have to pay a few costs here and there like new shorts and socks but they don't owe anyone any money for once.

Gilmour is on approx $15,000 for the season.

Gathering the ball and disposing by hand against Penguin, he was fantastic. His disposal by foot was a completely different matter.

Honey wasn't worth whatever he is being paid based on his effort.

Brighton will struggle to win a game again this season based on that match, with close to, if not there best team on the field in it.

86 points. Also not sure of the actual score.

Penguin looked very solid.

Brighton not so much.

In more details from the DOSA v Lindisfarne game, Former Glenorchy and North Hobart big man Wayne "Lizard" Hogan apparently kicked 9 for the 'Farne who have also regained Jarrod Bennett and Andrew Fleming, who both left the club mid-season last year.

My info is that the playing group was asked "Do you want these guys back at the club?" to which nobody put their hand up in either the affirmative or the negative. Fleming returning from Kermandie is one I find particularly puzzling as he played in their Premiership side last year so one would think he would be keen to stay but apparently not.

DOSA claimed to be quite undermanned, so much so that they were flat out fielding a side. This I also find interesting as having witnessed their practice match V Claremont on Wednesday night the Roosters had approx 10 on the bench!

Triabunna have good numbers on the track so I've been informed, Leigh Taylor is returning to the club from North Hobart along with a guy named 'Thompson', and after not looking so good numbers wise will have ample numbers for a Colts side in the Regional League.

Glenorchy have flogged Lauderdale by 30 goals, a performance that so upset Bombers Coach Steve Woods that he apparently made them train for an hour after the game!

From all reports, this margin will be one of the smaller ones the young Lauderdale side will be whipped by in 2006!

Kingston with a 50/50 Seniors/Reserves squad defeated Triabunna in a 5 x 20 min quarters practice match on Saturday. Approx score was 37.11.233 to 1.1.7

Triabunna from an extremely reliable source said they are struggling for Underage, although I know from early reports they were looking at the Colts as being their strongest side.

One would expect such a score with Kingston hoping to compete with the likes of Glenorchy, Clarence, New Norfolk, North Hobart, Hobart and the like whereas the 'Bunna are pretty much coming straight out of "rubbish footy", a level which they struggled at last year. No disrepect to the ODFA Ozguy, but that's what it would be like to a Premier League outfit one would think.

I did say to a colleague today when discussing what my Triabunna informer had told me, I reckon I was getting the "make it sound as positive as you can" spiel as I only really know the guy through work and not well enough to get an honest opinion perhaps.

Central Hawks had/got any practice matches coming up? Have they decided on a "Leadership Group"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offence taken. The reason the decision to leave was made was because the ODFA was no longer a competition with any real talent level behind it.

One of the Kingston trainers was from the ODFA originally and he said the Roos were a mid-level ODFA team based on what they did on Saturday. That was based on the comp when it was a bit stronger a few years ago, but is not a hugely glowing endorsement. I hope everything goes well for Triabunna. They made a tough decision, especially considering they would not be welcomed back with open arms if things went wrong down the track.

The Hawks decided to go into the season without a practice match. A bad mistake? Perhaps, but it is too late to do anything about it now.

I would expect a leadership group to be appointed within the next week and possibly announced at the Family day on the Sunday before the season starts.

The Doctor '73 said:
That $20,000 figure doesn't sound too out of place considering that Brighton offered Hobart youngster Cameron Beck over $5,000 to be a senior assistant coach at the age of 17!

I know its quite substantial but just how much cash do Brighton have? Its like they are playing in the TFL at the start of the 1990's, or copying Kermandie in 2000 with the amount of mony they are throwing around!

Also I heard that Hobart are finally back in the black about 15 years after being close to $750,000 in debt. In saying that they don’t really have any money in the bank and they have to pay a few costs here and there like new shorts and socks but they don't owe anyone any money for once.
Hobart wouldn't want to let some of the players from the early to mid-90's know too much about that info.
Because they still owe guys like Rob Veale a fair amount.
Veale was rumoured to be going to take Hobart to court some years ago over money owed too him, I'd say he probably realised he was flogging a dead horse on that one and gave up.
Also wonder if they paid Andrew McElwee!
McElwee loaned them money awhile ago and allegedly was fobbed off by Baker when he asked about it - this was during last season - apparently was rather ropeable and very nearly walked out on the club. Reconsidered, and continued to run the kiosk, but very rarely went to away games or club functions after that.

They'd be best keeping it quiet.

They've done well to sit at break-even, after where they were under Russell Young's presidency. By Christ he and Geoff George threw money around like never before seen.

Just on Brighton, I remember Angus Adams telling me a couple of years ago, in response to my question as to why Brighton were so crap, that Brighton had a LOT of money, but weren't spending any of it.
Apparently they make a fair quid out of that Social Club out there.

Just looking on some of the practice match results about the place, it looks like Lauderdale might cop more 200-point floggings than Lachlan used too.
A neighbour of mine plays for Lindisfarne and played against them, and confirmed the same thing.

Might see another lopsided year in the SFL :eek: *feigns shock*
So the top-5 in the Premier League will see Clarence, Glenorchy, North Hobart, New Norfolk, Hobart Lions or Kingborough - again.

Actually, it might be a good thing if Lauderdale and Brighton get pummelled every week (no disrespect to Lauderdale or Brighton) but the more it happens, the more the chance of a break-away from the SFL happening and restarting the TANFL.

Channel defeated OHA by about 40 points in a practice match at Snug on Saturday. Both sides were below full strength, with OHA running out of fitness in the last quarter.

Cld anyone help me out with some infomation on Dallas Galleghar played up north somewhere last year and i think he was assistant coach or coach. has now moved back over to victoria. big bloke prob ruck rover or key pos. about 29 yrs old.

Hobart in the black NO
To talk about a club breaking even is foolish.
They remain responsible for not adhereing to the rules concerning compulsory audit under corperation law at least the last 3 years+ evident by the report forwarded to members at the last agm less a financial component absolutely not a thing in the mattters of profit or loss received a mention.

So how do you come with a statement that is not true.
Far as i am concerned the Hobart club are on the river to no return as will be the teams from the east coast being taken for a ride.
All enthusiastic now but let me say again the sfl is not a bed of roses and not a solution to the prediciment that they find themselves in which is unfortunate surley a stay in the area competion is more virable without throwing 5000 dollars into the sfl coffers.
A dear ticket to ride.:thumbsdown:

fish1 said:
Cld anyone help me out with some infomation on Dallas Galleghar played up north somewhere last year and i think he was assistant coach or coach. has now moved back over to victoria. big bloke prob ruck rover or key pos. about 29 yrs old.
I'm pretty sure he played for Devonport in the NTFL last year but that's about all I know about him

BIGANT said:
Did Joey Cotton front up for penguin...:confused:
Cotton hasn't played yet for Penguin because they still haven't got a clearance from Millicent FC in the Western Border League in SA for him.
They have left it in the hands of the NTFL now but are running out of time because round 1 is on Saturday.
Latrobe are also having trouble getting a clearance from Millicent for Adam Enright

Had a good talk to Adam Sanders (Launceston coach) yesterday. Was really pleased witht the preseason and the general improvement of his players. Has a large group of early twentyish boys who are starting to reap the rewards of hard work from the last 4 or so years.

billybrownless16 said:
Can anyone tell me what the A in DOSA stands for?
I assume it is Dominic Old Scholars A.......
Association? Amatuers?

Association.

With most of the club having gone to school at either Claremont or Cosgrove High!

Or coming from New Norfolk! Make some sense out of that!

As relates to the Central Hawks not having played any practice games, I don't know that that will hinder them too much. I have watched Claremont's two practice games V both Friends and DOSA and I don't know that Claremont will be better off for playing them as opposed to if they had just had a training run.

Who do you reckon in your opinion will be Captain of the Hawks, Ozguy?

Is Mark Kamaric playing with them this year?

Hobart in the black NO
To talk about a club breaking even is foolish.
They remain responsible for not adhereing to the rules concerning compulsory audit under corperation law at least the last 3 years+ evident by the report forwarded to members at the last agm less a financial component absolutely not a thing in the mattters of profit or loss received a mention.

So how do you come with a statement that is not true.

I came up with that statement because I was talking to someone who would know and he said it. I know that the debt that the HFC has had for a number of years has been getting smaller and smaller and from when I first heard about it a few years ago this was about the timeframe that they gave for them to be free of debt.

Maybe they haven't complied with the rules concerning cumpulsory audit, and maybe they didn't mention it in their profit and loss statement a the AGM and maybe I am foolish for talking about the club being debt free, but this is what I have heard from quite a reliable source. If you have a more reliable figure on how much in debt you think the club is in please feel free to post the amount as I would be very interested to find out.

Maybe the reason why they haven't said anything is like what Kingpin has suggested they don't want people knocking on the door asking for handouts from 10+ years ago.

Being debt free at the moment doesn’t mean that there is money in the bank or that there will not be a number of expenses before the season starts requirng the need for borrowing in the short term until revenue comes in via matches.

Just took a look through the SFL website - haven't been there for awhile - and it really looks very professional now.
It was relaunched on the 17th March, and is now much more user-friendly and easier to view. Great job :thumbsu:

Just reading the clearances to date on there:

Approved Clearances
Matthew Abey: Kingborough to Hutchins (OSFA)
Nathan Abrahams: North Hobart to DOSA (OSFA)
Mark Allen: St Pats (NTFA) to North Hobart.
Nick Barling: North Hobart to Geelong West/St Peters (Geelong FL - Victoria)
Heath Barwin: Sorell to Glenorchy
Mark Bearman: Brighton to Friends (OSFA)
Nick Benson: New Norfolk to DOSA (OSFA)
Scott Bone: Mt Pleasant (ODFA) to Glenorchy.
Richard Boon: North Hobart to Central Hawks.
Samuel Bouwman: Newtown FC (Geelong FL - Victoria) to Clarence.
Stuart Bowes: Channel to Kingborough.
Jonathon Bowring: Glenorchy to Kingborough.
Nicholas Carr: North Hobart to Launceston (NTFL)
Fabian Churchill: Glenorchy to Richmond (OSFA)
Adrian Close: Dodges Ferry to Sorell.
Michael Condon: Brighton to Central Hawks
Jake Crouch: Huonville Lions to Glenorchy
Michael Darcy: Cygnet to Kingborough.
Oliver Di Venuto: Mt Gravatt (AFLQ) to North Hobart.
Adam Doran: Kingborough to Hutchins (OSFA)
Matthew Drury: North Hobart to Hutchins (OSFA)
Nicholas Duggan: Channel to Bracknell (NTFA)
Matthew Dyer: Redlands (AFLQ) to Brighton.
James Faulkner: Kingborough to Hutchins (OSFA)
Joseph Edwards: Lindisfarne to Clarence.
Nathan Foale: Glenorchy to Cairns Saints (AFL Cairns)
Nathan Free: Hobart Lions to De La Salle (VAFA)
George Gatenby: University (OSFA) to Glenorchy.
Cameron Geason: Glenorchy to Winnaleah (NEFU)
Hugh Griggs: Kingborough to Hutchins (OSFA)
Michael Grimsey: Sorell to Lindisfarne.
Rick Harwood: Claremont to Friends (OSFA)
Kurt Heazlewood: North Hobart to Devonport (NTFL)
Mathew Heenan: Glenorchy to Lindisfarne.
Nathan Hanley: Glenorchy to Vermont (EFL - Victoria)
Kane Herlihy: Lindisfarne to Clarence.
Kyle Hey-Bluett: Richmond (OSFA) to Glenorchy.
Sam Hill: Lindisfarne to North Hobart.
Jeremy Jones: Bothwell (ODFA) to Brighton.
Aaron Joseph: Devonport (NTFL) to Glenorchy.
Simon Lampkin: Channel to Kingborough.
Braden Livingston: Cygnet to Kingborough.
Scott Luttrell: Devonport (NTFL) to North Hobart.
Dale Marshall: Channel to Logan City (AFLQ)
Brad McDonald: Penguin (NTFL) to Glenorchy.
Dean Millhouse: Glenorchy to Vermont (EFL - Victoria)
Ricky Moss: Claremont to Brighton.
Leon Noel: Clarence to Glenorchy.
Jesse O'Neal: Dodges Ferry to Glenorchy.
Sam Oates: Fingal Valley (NTFA) to Lindisfarne.
Michael Pace: DOSA (OSFA) to Glenorchy.
Matthew Parker: New Norfolk to St Virgils (OSFA)
Brody Phillips: Clarence to Lindisfarne.
Andrew Philpott: Glenorchy to Longford (NTFA)
Gavin Quirk: OHA (OSFA) to Lindisfarne.
Benjamin Rainbird: New Norfolk to St Virgils (OSFA)
Field Reeves: Glenorchy to Hobart Lions.
Geoffrey Spriggs: Lauderdale to Brighton.
Trent Standen: Clarence to Sorell.
Tim Steven: Clarence to Hutchins (OSFA)
Leigh Swan: Sorell to Triabunna.
Alex Sweet: Glenorchy to Triabunna.
Brad Taylor: Quinns Bulls (WAAFL) to Glenorchy.
Damien Thompson: Lindisfarne to Central Hawks.
Mathew Triffett: Lindisfarne to Sorell.
Craig Vernon: Triabunna to Queenstown Crows (DFA)
Adam Vucica: Central Altona (WRFL) to Brighton.
Chris Watson: Claremont to Brighton.
Bradley Watson: Cygnet to Kingborough.
Adam Whitford: New Norfolk to Redlands (AFLQ)
Tom Williams: Lindisfarne to Sorell.

New Registrations
Adam Clark: Central Hawks (New Registration)
Lee Cobern: Sorell (New Registration)
Rhys Blyth: Triabunna (New Registration)
Andrew Craik: Sorell (New Registration)
Malcolm Crawford: Sorell (New Registration)
Neil Drake: Triabunna (New Registration)
Matthew Dyer: Brighton (New Registration)
Wiernicki Flood: Central Hawks (New Registration)
Clinton French: Glenorchy (New Registration)
Cameron Green: North Hobart (New Registration)
Daniel Gregory: Lindisfarne (New Registration)
Mark Haigh: Triabunna (New Registration)
Luke Harris: Central Hawks (New Registration)
Matthew Hay: Central Hawks (New Registration)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back