Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
mastheadbanner.jpg

Tuesday 28th March 2006: Brown May Be Sidelined For A Month
By Nigel Tapp

Devonport onballer Clinton Brown could be sidelined for up to four weeks after injuring his left shoulder in Saturday's 66-point thumping of reigning NTFL premier Burnie.
The five-times Burnie premiership player damaged his shoulder after being tackled in the second quarter.

He said he was hoping to see the Tassie Devils' doctor today but early indications were that there was no structural problem with the joint.

"I can move it above my head but it is a bit difficult moving it sideways," he said.
"It is probably just muscle or tendon damage and I have been told I could respond (to treatment) in a week or it might take four."
Despite copping some attention in the game, Brown said he was more than pleased with how his first match against his former team unfolded.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
mastheadbanner.jpg

Wednesday 29th March 2006: Perry KO'd In One Round
By Kate White.
resizedS_141834_b3bs6468.jpg

East Devonport coach Leon Perry has quit his post just one round into the 2006 NTFL season.

After an exhaustive election campaign and a disappointing first-round loss to Penguin on Saturday, Perry has decided to hand the reins over to Swans assistant and former Latrobe senior coach Ashleigh Brown.
Perry will stay on at the club as assistant coach at Brown's request.

Reading from a prepared statement, Perry said his resignation had come out of the blue for the playing group and Swans executive but claimed he was doing the right thing by the club.
"I could've continued on to save face, but that would not have been in the best interests of the club," Perry said.
"And ultimately, this is about what is good for the club, not the individuals inside of it.
"I'd like to make it clear that I have the full support of Ashleigh and the club executive, even after Saturday's disappointing loss."

Having played a pivotal role in what he described as reshaping the on and off-field demeanour of the club, Perry said Brown was better suited to the ongoing development of the players.
"Ashleigh is better equipped to take the group to the next level.
"I played a key role in getting Ashleigh here, fully expecting that he would one day take over the senior coaching role. That day just came a little sooner than I thought."
Perry ran as a Liberal candidate in Braddon in the State election earlier this month but failed to win a seat.

He refused to take questions on the timing of his resignation or comment on whether his decision to wait until now to resign as Swans coach had anything to do with his bid for a seat in State Parliament.
Swans president Peter Mitchell said he fully supported Perry's decision to step down and looked forward to the club's new phase under Brown.
"What Leon has done for this club in 18 months is commence a rebuild, but obviously after Saturday's effort, we still have a way to go.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
mastheadbanner.jpg

Wednesday 29th March 2006: Swans To Set Similar Course To That Set In Previous Year

Setting realistic goals for the East Devonport Football Club will be the first call to action for new senior coach Ashleigh Brown.
"It's no secret that we have a lot of work to do," Brown said.
"This will be my sixth year as a senior coach, and I've got some experience, principles and values I want to input into the club and players."

Brown said he was looking forward to working with former coach Leon Perry , and that the club would mostly continue to head in the same direction Perry set in motion after the end of 2004.
"The roles will just be reversed we will continue to head in the same direction," Brown said.
"I am impressed with Leon, but now we need to start setting some realistic goals so that we can get the best out of the playing group.
"We will continue to push the youth policy and will continue along similar paths that have already been set in place.
"We are not under any illusions. We are not expecting to be successful overnight. No doubt there will be some hiccups."

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
mastheadbanner.jpg

Wednesday 29th March 2006: East Lodges Complaint With League

East Devonport has lodged a formal complaint against a Penguin player for an alleged biting incident from round one in the NTFL on Saturday.
A club official has come forward as a witness to Adrian Partridge's claims he was bitten by a Penguin player.
According to NTFL general manager, East Devonport has complied with the complaints process. The complaint was taken to the NTFL executive meeting last night, with a decision expected to be made soon.

The NTFL executive has three options; to take no further action, refer the matter to the tribunal, or conduct the hearing itself.
Wotherspoon said that while it was not uncommon for complaints of misconduct to come up, he had not heard of an accusation of biting being made to the NTFL before.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
mastheadbanner.jpg

Wednesday March 29th 2006: Myalla Feeling Pinch Of Player Shortage
resizedS_198553_tc28030625.jpg

Myalla is the latest football club to fall victim to a lack of players ahead of the upcoming footy season.
The club was forced to forfeit the Darwin Football Association lightning premiership last weekend, and will hold a meeting tonight to determine the club's future.

Myalla president Jason Beswick said a lack of player numbers was a big concern for the club with fines issued for every time a match needs to be forfeited.
"We play Queenstown in Queenstown this weekend, and if we can't field two teams, then we will be fined," Beswick said.
"And at this rate, we will be struggling to field one.
"If we can't get players down to Queenstown, then its disrespectful to them as well."

Beswick said he did not understand why players would commit to the season and not turn up for games.
"Dale Whish-Wilson, who coached Myalla to a premiership in 2003 is back, so it could be a good year for us, but obviously we're missing the players."

Beswick said the problem with a lack of players stemmed from the large number of football teams recruiting players from the same area.
"Wynyard, Yolla, Somerset and Yeoman are all trying to get players from a small region.
"It's getting to a critical stage, we need a guarantee that players will train at least once a week and that they will make it to Queenstown on Saturday."

wattsy

Debutant
Jun 28, 2004
SFL IN TATTERS
IT IS DEBATABLE WHETHER THE SFL SEASON CAN START DUE TO BREACHES OF THEIR OWN CONSTITUTION REGARDING TEAMS PROVIDING THE REQUIRED DETAILS ON PREVIOUS SEASONS FINANCIAL DETAILS COMPULSORY DUE NOW AND THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL TO PROVIDE ALL NAMES OF SUPPORT STAFF TO PROVIDE A SAFE WORK ENVOIROMENT.:eek:

Northern lad

Rookie
Jun 28, 2005
Tasmania
Mate Knowing Joey pretty well it is extremely disapointing and a load of crap. get your facts right before making stupid stories up or listening to chinese wispers

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline
wattsy said:
SFL IN TATTERS
IT IS DEBATABLE WHETHER THE SFL SEASON CAN START DUE TO BREACHES OF THEIR OWN CONSTITUTION REGARDING TEAMS PROVIDING THE REQUIRED DETAILS ON PREVIOUS SEASONS FINANCIAL DETAILS COMPULSORY DUE NOW AND THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL TO PROVIDE ALL NAMES OF SUPPORT STAFF TO PROVIDE A SAFE WORK ENVOIROMENT.:eek:

Certainly one of the weirder rumours I have seen floating around!

If the Hobart/Lauderdale issue wasn't going to hold up the season, I very much doubt something like this would.

Also, there has been no breach of the Constitution at this moment anyway. Clubs have until the season starts to lodge their lists. Besides, it is individual clubs that would be breaching it anyway. Would be a league decision regarding what, if any, action was taken against them.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
What's going on with the SFL website? Looks nice and shiny and professional, but hasn't been updated in almost a month.
The season kicks off tomorrow night!!

There's been stories on New Norfolk, David Parkin taking Glenorchy's training session and on coach David Newitt, the launch of the SFL season in the Mercury in the last week/ten days, and none of it has been placed on the very website that's "supposed to be promoting the league.

I hope we dont see the SFL website chogged up with 90% Devils stories again this year.
If that's the case again, then it's pretty much a guarantee that the SFL are in bed with AFL Tasmania/Devils rather than the clubs they're supposed to be promoting. :thumbsdown:

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline
The Website is maintained by AFL Tas, not the SFL. Explains why there is the Devils bias. But also makes it hard to blame the SFL for something it doesn't control.

The Doctor '73

Senior List
Feb 7, 2005
Hobart
Other Teams
Hobart Tigers FC
Yeah your not wrong there Kingpin, in the past they have been fairly up to date in putting newspaper articles onto the webpage but they have slackened off completely of late. I can understand why they didn't put the embezzelement article on the site but there has been a bit of stuff of late that has been in the mercury which they could have put on.

Also good stuff with Edge radio doing the interview with the North Hobart blokes and hopefully they might be able to do a few more interviews into the future and maybe with people from other clubs aswell.

Whilst it may only be community radio and the reception tends to be a bit dodgey over on the western shore I'm sure you could get people to listen to the show with a bit of promotion . Only thing is, you can't make it too popular or else the AFLTAS will try and muscle in and run their own Devils radio show. Got to make sure we don't give the North Melbourne Devils any competition hey Wadey?

Yappa

Rookie
Mar 23, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
Kingpin,

Where abouts on the SFL site did you find the lists of clerances?
i have looked everywhere and cant seem to find it anywhere!!

Ozguy,
Doesnt Dan Garlic run the SFL site ?

Yappa

Rookie
Mar 23, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
Kingborough...new players....

After a debrief at the end of season 2005 a certain number of deficiencies were identified and acted upon with the results being the recruitment of a significant number of quality recruits to the Club. The Club would like to welcome Jonathon Bowring, Shane Young, Michael Darcy, Damien Clarke, Brad Watson, Jarrod Collis, Nick Doyle, and Rowan Andrews with Matthew Jamieson returning from injury and Craig Roberts, Simon Lampkin and Stuart Bowes returning from Channel. We also have a significant number of youth age footballers returning from Hobart after their school football commitments

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Yappa said:
Kingpin,
Where abouts on the SFL site did you find the lists of clerances?
i have looked everywhere and cant seem to find it anywhere!!

Ozguy,
Doesnt Dan Garlic run the SFL site ?
I also looked and can't locate it now. They've taken it down by the looks of it.
Either that or it's in some obscure place somewhere.

I know Dan Garlick, North Hobart board member, North Hobart Oval ground announcer, Devils ground announcer and owner of OzVox Media used to be the webmaster of that site, and I presume still is.
The reason that there is more Devils and AFL content on there is because he wanted to stick all football related stories on the site, as a sort of one-stop- shop for all stories footy - except Northern football.
I emailed him and asked him ages ago about the lack of SFL content in comparison to Devils content and that was his answer.

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline
Kingpin said:
I also looked and can't locate it now. They've taken it down by the looks of it.
Either that or it's in some obscure place somewhere.

I know Dan Garlick, North Hobart board member, North Hobart Oval ground announcer, Devils ground announcer and owner of OzVox Media used to be the webmaster of that site, and I presume still is.

To find the clearances, click on the SFL Results link above the football news headlines. Takes you to sportingpulse.com.au where you can find the clearances, fixtures etc.

OzVox are no longer handling the website. Apparently there is a significant cost saving if the SFL/AFL Tas handles it themselves. Changeover pretty much happened overnight.

bakerman

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2004
Unleash the beast
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
Kingpin said:
Correct!! Welcome back Bakerman :)
I remember this very issue being raised by a couple of supporters on the old SFL Forum on the SFL website in early 2001.
They posted that "Morrison had done time for this only recently" (2000), and when the SFL re-appointed him in a paid position, they questioned the legality of it.

Morrison's response was to threaten legal action against the posters for slander (can't be slander if it's the truth can it?), I'm not sure if he sued or not, but I know he ordered Dan Garlick to remove the forum from the SFL website (and it was a VERY busy forum at the time) and replace it with silly web-polls.
Some time later it was restored back on to the SFL site, but the SFL was copping such an extreme caning from supporters at the time over clubs losing colours and jumpers, the whole "letting the TFL clubs into "our" league" scenario and so forth, so they pulled the pin on the forum altogether, in 2002 I believe, because it wasn't looking good having the forum filled with criticism of the league on the League's official website.
These organisations only like feedback if it's positive ;) they tried that caper on the Hobart website as well, all of a sudden the place went dead overnight, when all these "negative people" weren't allowed to give their feedback.

Kingpin I didn't know that he went over the river in 2000. I did know that he was in prison in the early 1990's.

I guess he likes being a "BOY" in prison.

CWood

Rookie
Aug 8, 2005
Other Teams
Oakland
Grand Final replay

Clarence V New Norfolk

who is your tip?
Who will win and why?
Any interesting news involving the two clubs..injuries?
Should of Smith received a larger penalty​

Lutters

Draftee
Mar 20, 2006
T Beach Tas
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ulverstone, SBSC
I was reading a post from a while back and saw that someone had suggested to revive the TFL or start a new TFL like league. I think this would be a good idea but I've got my own spin on it. We have the SFL and NTFL combine to make the TFL but have two divisons divisions. The NTFL and the STFL. They play their games like they do now etc but come finals we have a state final for a TFL premiership. That way teams are not travelling from one end of the state to the other everysecond week. Imagine having to travel from Hobart to smithton or viceversa. I think we shoudl at least revive the old state premiership. Possibly have a lightning cup in the preseason for so many teams from the north and so many from the south. What are peoples thoughts on this.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Lutters said:
I was reading a post from a while back and saw that someone had suggested to revive the TFL or start a new TFL like league. I think this would be a good idea but I've got my own spin on it. We have the SFL and NTFL combine to make the TFL but have two divisons divisions. The NTFL and the STFL. They play their games like they do now etc but come finals we have a state final for a TFL premiership. That way teams are not travelling from one end of the state to the other everysecond week. Imagine having to travel from Hobart to smithton or viceversa. I think we shoudl at least revive the old state premiership. Possibly have a lightning cup in the preseason for so many teams from the north and so many from the south. What are peoples thoughts on this.

Gday Lutters - It seems Cwood has managed to revive this old thread that was discontinued when the great Bigfooty Server meltdown happened almost a month ago LOL
A new Tasmanian Football thread has since started, so I'll cut and paste your post and put your reply over there - as having two threads of the same name will get a bit confusing ;)

Please Click Here

jhguy77

Draftee
Jan 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Make no mistake, they did play some very good football whilst at Claremont, but perhaps not worth the rumoured coin they were on.

Peter Barwick is regarded in the same boat at Claremont as Craig Horne when it comes to saying one thing and doing another. At the end of 2000 when Peter stepped down as Claremont Coach he cut a speech along the lines of "I'd like to be a part of finishing what we started, the future is promising for this club etc etc" and headed straight to Glenorchy for Season 2001, bagging Claremont to the Glenorchy boys, laughing that Claremont had 'nothing' on the training track pre-season etc (can't say he wasn't right there though!).

Garry Barwick was a funny one, had amazing athleticism, great mark for his size, but was an ordinary kick. He too was only interested in playing as long as it was worth his while. I recall in 1997, Gaz had a big Friday night with his Cousin and fellow waste of talent, Tim Atkin, and the two decided they couldn't be bothered fronting up to play Lachlan at Lachlan. They were offered the choice of punishment out of (a) playing the next two games for no match payments or (b) sitting out a two week unpaid suspension. They chose b! And this was a year Claremont were flying! Gaz last played for Huonville on $250 a game, and was barely interested at that!

Curt Lockley is one and the same. Wore No 28 for Glenorchy and No 15 for Claremont. Cousin of former Glenorchy and Claremont player Jason Lockley, and 2nd Cousin of current Claremont player Andrew Lockley.

Curt would often get 30+ possessions a game as a Centreman/Half Back Flanker, but would have complete disregard and ignorance of who his opponent was and what he was doing. Was a very good player for Claremont over 10 years, winning 3 B&F's and 2 Senior flags.

Very true Majestic, Gavin was very good in his early 20's down at Glenorchy, however he wasy very lazy, hated training and was happier getting the easy money and Mangalore, Claremont and later Oatlands.

I have also heard the rumour about their younger Brother Graeme. Very fearsome bowling combination, Gavin and Graeme, frightened many an opposition batting line up of Claremont in the 80's and 90's.

Graeme also wasn't real keen on footy training and I dare say this is why he never reached the heights of "Crumpet" Gavin and "Patch" Michael.

Reality is there are thousands of examples like this accross the country.

Some of them aren't true however.

None more so than the rumour around KGV prior to the 1993 Season.

"Shane Fell's Brother Jason is coming over from Victoria - is supposed to be better than Shane!"

NEVER PLAYED A SENIOR GAME!

I was at Glenorchy when Jason Fell arrived ,he brought along with him Wes Pyle and Mark Spilsbury.
They were party boys,Jason was no where near the size of Shane but he could play,
He played alot of senior footy and won senior best and fairests in Victoria, before he got to Glenorchy.as had Pyle.
Jason or Eddie as he was known had a dodgy foot or ankle and was recovering from an operation when he got to Tassie.It never come good.
He didn't play the season prior to Glenorchy.He was finished before he got there.Peter Staples didn"t make mention of
this in his article.
Eddie played some good two"s footy but never trained and was always injured.
He also had some off field activities that didn"t go down well with coach KIm Excell

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
Ballarat via Melbourne via Hobart via Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Albury Bandits, Orlando Magic
I was at Glenorchy when Jason Fell arrived ,he brought along with him Wes Pyle and Mark Spilsbury.
They were party boys,Jason was no where near the size of Shane but he could play,
He played alot of senior footy and won senior best and fairests in Victoria, before he got to Glenorchy.as had Pyle.
Jason or Eddie as he was known had a dodgy foot or ankle and was recovering from an operation when he got to Tassie.It never come good.
He didn't play the season prior to Glenorchy.He was finished before he got there.Peter Staples didn"t make mention of
this in his article.
Eddie played some good two"s footy but never trained and was always injured.
He also had some off field activities that didn"t go down well with coach KIm Excell
It only took you 9 years to break the ice!

kenton

Debutant
Nov 19, 2010
hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
sad to see another team fold tc bulldogs has anyone heard how ridgleys meeting went friday nite hope they keep going and the leven comp does any one know how thats shaping up

Back