Tasmanian Tigers 2013/14 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the best batting averages this season for us:

Gulbis - 42.66
Cowan - 38.94
Butterworth - 38.40
Faulkner - 36.75

After 3 bowling all rounders and an opening bat does our middle order start to appear

Bailey - 36.66
Doolan - 35.72
Dunk - 35.33

Then Silk, Cossie and Paine in the low 30s. Basically Gulbis thanks to one innings then a log jam of players in 30's. Not good enough.
Dunk stepping his season average up to 35 is the biggest positive out of that. Another couple of years and his FC average could be close to 36/37 and be a contender as a keeper in the test side, as his glovework is very good IMO

I am not even sure what his glovework is like but he won't be getting picked as a test keeper if he isn't keeping for Tasmania. I would really like to see Dunk get the gloves and Paine open again or even share keeping duties, I know it's not really a done thing but why should it be out of the question if there are two competent keepers in the side?

Disappointing to see some quotes in The Mercury yesterday with them having decided that, based on the last 2 games, they don't need to find a number 6 - they're perfectly happy to go with Butterworth, Gulbis, and keep developing Webster.

That would be find - except you've still go no depth when Doolan gets called up, Bailey goes to South Africa early, and Silk is injured.

Dunk stepping his season average up to 35 is the biggest positive out of that. Another couple of years and his FC average could be close to 36/37 and be a contender as a all-rounder in the test side, as his bowling is very good IMO

Fixed it for you.

Disappointing to see some quotes in The Mercury yesterday with them having decided that, based on the last 2 games, they don't need to find a number 6 - they're perfectly happy to go with Butterworth, Gulbis, and keep developing Webster.

That would be find - except you've still go no depth when Doolan gets called up, Bailey goes to South Africa early, and Silk is injured.

Yeh they have to go after one. You would assume Blizzard, Cazzulino and Wells will be dropped from contracts so at least one of those should be filled by an experienced player from another state. If they must play Butterworth at 6, then Gulbis has to play at 8 to strengthen the batting, couldn't believe they went in against Victoria with the order they did.

Officially delisted from Tas (not hurricanes):
Allanby
Cazzulino
Blizzard
Laughlin

Allanby not surprising with the recruitment and performances of Rose. Rainbird surely will be promoted. Bet you Cazz regrets that drink driving offends which saw him get dropped... Blizzard perhaps a tad surprising. Not sure we can recruit a better fringe batsmen.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...h-contracts-safe/story-fnj92b0f-1226865240374

The move is interesting, bordering on infuriating.

SA essentially sacked him cos they thought he was too fat. Tassie were the only state to offer him a chance to demonstrate his prodigious talent - he still didn't heed the learnings from SA though, and cost himself an Australian career because he's still too fat.

And now, after a couple of great seasons, he goes back again.

So from Cosgrove and from SAs perspective, what's changed?

SA essentially sacked him cos they thought he was too fat. Tassie were the only state to offer him a chance to demonstrate his prodigious talent - he still didn't heed the learnings from SA though, and cost himself an Australian career because he's still too fat.

I'm tempted to label him as being ungrateful, but I'd like to know the circumstances of the move back first.

Jamie Cox left South Australia?

2014/15 Tasmania Squad
George Bailey
Jackson Bird
Luke Butterworth
Ed Cowan (not signed)
Xavier Doherty
Alex Doolan (not signed)
Ben Dunk (not signed)
James Faulkner
Andrew Fekete
Evan Gulbis
Ben Hilfenhaus (not signed)
Adam Maher (not signed)
Tim Paine (not signed)
Clive Rose
Jordan Silk (not signed)
Timm van der Gugten
Jon Wells
Sam Rainbird
Hamish Kingston

Rookies
Gabe Bell
Ryan Lees
Beau Webster
Sean Willis

New Players
Hamish Kingston

What are we doing ?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what the hell does singed mean? you mean signed? it just seems a major typo to have repeated over and over...

I'm not sure how the contracts work - is Cowan not signed because he's been on a CA contract? Would Hilf be in the same boat?

This is madness though... Cowan, Hilf, Paine, Dunk, Doolan - these are probably our 5 most important players going forward in the Shield. How are so many of them unsigned?

I said months ago that I half expect Silk to bugger off back to Sydney. Still looks likely to me.

what the hell does singed mean? you mean signed? it just seems a major typo to have repeated over and over...

I'm not sure how the contracts work - is Cowan not signed because he's been on a CA contract? Would Hilf be in the same boat?

This is madness though... Cowan, Hilf, Paine, Dunk, Doolan - these are probably our 5 most important players going forward in the Shield. How are so many of them unsigned?

I said months ago that I half expect Silk to bugger off back to Sydney. Still looks likely to me.

My bad it's fixed now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back