Official Club Stuff Taylor Hunt - Round 1 Debut

Is Taylor Hunt a good fit for RFC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the Hawks pay overs for Gibson, Lake, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Hale, Gunston, Spangher and Simpkin?

I've loved their recruiting targets over the past 4-5 seasons. Quality that meets a specific need obtained in a stealth like manner.

Ah yes but spangher was a spud onto his 3rd club & Simpkin was in the same boat as hunt is in now, what's to say hunt can't do a job for us. Just playing devil's advocate

Why do we need a tagger??

Taggers are usually for contenders looking to fill in a gap/match up issue.

We simply are not near contention to worry about taggers IMO.

Have RFC simply got it all wrong and massively overrated the list not grasping the list needed a lot more talent recruitment and development?

Sorry magic I don't get this logic (& don't agree) an upgrade on Jacko imo that could (possibly) slot straight into our 22. I base this on what I remember seeing of him in the past as I didn't see any of him last yr

With Jackson retired it would make sense to recruit a similar role player. A fresh start might be all that is needed. He was rated by the Cats 2 years ago.

And at the very least he will provide some depth and be able to plug a hole somewhere in case of injury, we are losing a bit of experience this year with Jacko and Kingy retiring so we can`t rely on freshly drafted teenage kids stepping up straight away.

A reasonably experienced and hardened player like Hunt will be handy to have on the list.

He might even be an option as a defensive forward.

W
Problem with getting hunt is I can see both grigg and hunt playing ,recruiting these ordinary players will hold us back in the long run No thanks

The club has turned to Grigg a few times in the past to do tagging jobs - his best effort being against Libba last year. If there are better taggers/run with players in the side, that potentially takes one string from his bow and might weaken his spot in the best 22.

I've always thought if we could make Grigg a depth player (instead of a best 22), that would be a good outcome as it would mean our 22 are across the board, more accountable and versatile. If Hunt can help push Grigg out (or at least give him a deserved kick up the backside to try and hold his spot), that would be a win in my books.

Alternatively the club may try and make him our designated run with player but I worry about his lack of speed...

"If we take away Liberatore's only down game this season – when he was tagged by Richmond's Shaun Grigg and managed just 10 touches (six contested), two clearances and five tackles – he has averaged 30 possessions (19 contested), 10 clearances and nine tackles."

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/printthread.php?t=11742

Just because we need better players does not mean we need a tagger.

If we had more talent opposition sides would need a tagger not us!!

We should not be trying to save matches, we should be trying to build a premiership team!

For a rookie spot you're more likely to find a tagger than a Pendlebury.

Otherwise you're saying "why doesn't everybody own a new Ferrari?! There'd be better traffic flow!"

This is a bit of DeJa Vu for me, I feel as though every year i try to convince people on this board about staying away from players that get delisted by their teams or traded away easily because of their inability to hold their spot in their current team.

Hunt will not improve our team, He will just be a average negating player that may have 2-3 reasonable games, Similar to Thomas
waste of $250,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bit of DeJa Vu for me, I feel as though every year i try to convince people on this board about staying away from players that get delisted by their teams or traded away easily because of their inability to hold their spot in their current team.

Hunt will not improve our team, He will just be a average negating player that may have 2-3 reasonable games, Similar to Thomas
waste of $250,000

I thought you were wanting Mitch Robinson?

For a rookie spot you're more likely to find a tagger than a Pendlebury.

Otherwise you're saying "why doesn't everybody own a new Ferrari?! There'd be better traffic flow!"

You don't have to be chasing a Ferrari at the rookie picks. You can get handy role players like Suckling that are more effective than taggers for team impact regarding winning premierships

Mitch Robinson didnt get delisted because of talent or ability, He's a head case thats on his last legs in the AFL and will get picked up

Hunt isnt good enough
Haha that's a qualification if ive heard it!! There can be many reasons why players get delisted not just because they aren't good enough. Salary pressure, home life, personal life, etc. Imo Hunt is a better player that Mitch without any off field issues to talk about. Regardless of why he was delisted, he got delisted, so going on your matrix it shouldn't matter. I should add I do agree to a certain extent the idea that role players in good teams, changing to poorer teams don't mean they all of a sudden become better players, just in this instance Hunt has a skill set we don't have and need.

Last edited:
Miles didn't have 6 seasons to prove himself, so not a fair comparison. Consider this, if you can't play well or be made to look good in a team like Geelong then what hope have you? Good grief.
You said you wanted an impressive CV. Miles didin't have one.
Also as you said, he only averaged 10 games a season. They have been a super talented team. Maybe he just needs more of a role.

Christ, just run the numbers and work out what we are prepared to pay. Get him down to the club and see what we think and what he thinks.

I don't mind us giving him a try. Say 2 years and moderate wage. If any club wants to pay more or offer more then no use crying that we don't get him. If he visits the club and doesn't like it, no use crying that we don't get him. If the word on the grapevine is he is injured or a dickhead, no use crying if we don't choose him.

As for the comment that we don't need a tagger... Might be worth thinking that one through a bit. Anyone remember that time Freo put no tagger on Buckley? 40 possessions later... Or Ablett getting no tagger? 40+ possessions later... Seriously. WTF?

All we need is someone who can replace Jackson and not slow down the play when they get the ball and we will be a better team already. And if he only plays 12 games in 2 years then are we really any worse off?

FWIW we drafted Steven Sziller who had hardly set the world on fire (I was just about apoplectic when we drafted him) but he was a good tagger for a few years. Something like that would be my expectation of the trade. Any better and we win.

Christ, just run the numbers and work out what we are prepared to pay. Get him down to the club and see what we think and what he thinks.

I don't mind us giving him a try. Say 2 years and moderate wage. If any club wants to pay more or offer more then no use crying that we don't get him. If he visits the club and doesn't like it, no use crying that we don't get him. If the word on the grapevine is he is injured or a dickhead, no use crying if we don't choose him.

As for the comment that we don't need a tagger... Might be worth thinking that one through a bit. Anyone remember that time Freo put no tagger on Buckley? 40 possessions later... Or Ablett getting no tagger? 40+ possessions later... Seriously. WTF?

All we need is someone who can replace Jackson and not slow down the play when they get the ball and we will be a better team already. And if he only plays 12 games in 2 years then are we really any worse off?

FWIW we drafted Steven Sziller who had hardly set the world on fire (I was just about apoplectic when we drafted him) but he was a good tagger for a few years. Something like that would be my expectation of the trade. Any better and we win.

You make good points!!

Sziller was a wasted pick in the Frawley recycled area and Freo hasn't won anything important yet!!! Furthermore Jackson hardly needs replacing over his playing career start to end.

Clear no after that spiel.

I remember this kid being highly rated at the Cats only a year or two ago, does anybody know what has caused them to drop off him so much?

He's only 23, so I doubt it's his age, and he's played 60 odd games, so he should be starting to enter his prime in regards to his experience + age profile.

What's the go? :confused:
He likes the party life!!...and what comes with it

hqdefault.jpg

Back