Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
KIERAN COLLINS

DOB:14/12/1997
HEIGHT:194cm
WEIGHT:95kg
POSITION:Full Back
RECRUITED FROM:Dandenong Stingrays (Pick 26, 2015 National Draft)
JUNIOR ACHIEVEMENTS: 2015 U18 All Australian, 2015 Tac Cup Team of the Year.
DEBUT: Yet to debut

*Picture of him in our gear to be added at a later date.

Last edited:

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-12-03/collins-to-wear-32

Western Bulldogs draftee Kieran Collins says the idea of being a senior footballer is starting to sink in, as he received his guernsey number and locker this week.

Collins will wear number 32 in 2016, after being recruited by the Dogs with pick 26 in the AFL National Draft.

“Just sitting at my locker and seeing the number up there, it definitely does feel real and it’s all exciting.”

Collins says the draftees have been eased into training in the last week, but have been straight into skills sessions and drills.

“The first few days have started off pretty slow, with medical screenings and getting all the checks from the physios and the doctors.

“(We) started to train on Saturday, and yesterday our first weights session and main training session and today just getting into the swing of things with the development academy.”

Collins had an unusual experience on draft night, with some confusion on draft night as to whether his name had been called out or not.

The 17-year-old said he was initially unsure if he had been drafted, but relief set in after being assured he was headed to the Bulldogs.

“It was a bit daunting, my coach came up to me and said he heard my name called up but I wasn’t sure.

“So I had to wait another five or ten minutes before I found out on the board, but it just added to the night and made it exciting.”

The local Langwarrin boy will move out of home to be closer to Whitten Oval, but says he’s relieved to be only an hours’ drive from his family.

“I’m very happy to be staying close to home and family and friends, I’m looking forward to it and just enjoying it.”

411869.jpg

Still shocked we actually have him on our list!

Found this article on Keiron Collins.
Interesting to note Gary Buckenara's opinion of him. If Buckenara was still recruiting for the Hawks we probably wouldn't have him:

WHILE plenty of focus has rightly been placed on key defender Jacob Weitering this year, his Dandenong Stingrays teammate Kieran Collins has been quietly rising up the ranks.

Collins, also a tall defender, started the season ranked a little way back but across the year added an attacking element to his game and lifted his stocks.

Long-time Hawthorn recruiter Gary Buckenara, who scouted this year's crop for most of the season before leaving the club, told AFL.com.au he ranked Collins as the third best player in this year's draft pool.

The Victorian prospect was an important member of Vic Country's unbeaten run at this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and was named an All Australian. He has also been a part of the NAB AFL Academy program over the past two seasons.

2014-draft-countdown-title-whyx.jpg

Firstly, quality key defenders are hard to find. So when a good one is available he is hard to pass up. Collins has developed into an attacking defender, something that looked unlikely at the start of the season when he preferred to sit back on opponents and lock them down.

He still managed to do that, but added some run and rebound to his game. As the year went on, Collins began to back himself more in the air and give his opponent something to think about – rather than worrying about stopping his man all the time.

In one of the best match-ups of the season, Collins lined up against key forward Sam Weideman earlier in the year in the TAC Cup. Weideman kicked five goals to show his quality, but Collins had 21 disposals, took nine marks and was best afield.

He carried that form and confidence into the championships with a string of rebounding efforts, and maintained his physical and uncompromising defensive approach. At 194cm and 100kg, Collins will be able to shut down key forwards, and did that towards the end of the season when he played against highly touted prospect Josh Schache.

2014-draft-countdown-title-queryx.jpg

Throughout the season Collins played deep in the backline, generally taking the opposition's full forward. Given he is not especially quick, at times he might have been able to be exposed on the lead and quick turnaround up the ground. That's a pretty minor knock, though, considering he tested well for agility at the NAB AFL Draft Combine (8.62 seconds).

Collins was thrown forward at different stages of Dandenong's season, including its preliminary final defeat. He showed he is a natural defender who probably doesn't have the versatility yet to be a threat near goal. That's not necessarily a problem though, because his defensive work is more than good enough.

2014-draft-countdown-title-playslikex.jpg

Collins could develop into a Cale Hooker-like defender who has a presence in the air but is also committed to stopping his man. Perhaps Collins' best quality is his discipline: he does what his team needs and does it well.

2014-draft-countdown-title-draftrangex.jpg

Collins will fill the need for a club looking to beef up its tall defensive stocks and as such should fall in the 12-25 region of the draft.

2014-draft-countdown-title-bottomlinex.jpg

Collins' form has been a pleasant surprise this season. He now sits as perhaps the draft's second best key defender, only behind his teammate and close friend Weitering. Competitive, dedicated and intense dislike for being beaten, Collins has all the essentials of a powerful defender.

So for shits and giggles I had a quick look at the last five pick #26 players:

2014 - Toby McLean
2013 - Zach Merrett
2012 - Jack Viney
2011 - Todd Elton
2010 - Jack Darling

The draft pick seems like a lucky number: McLean looks brilliant, Merrett is one of Essendon's shining lights, Viney is amazing (but a F/S pick), Elton has been Richmonded and Darling is top shelf as a no 2 forward.

History is on our side :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back