TDU 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I looked at the point to point http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/documents/2014_stage4_point_to_point.pdf and i thought it would turn off at Devils elbow but i think reading this it goes all the way up freeway and you exit at Stirling. If so, that is awesome, however, the point to point is the race route, whether or not this is the same for Bupa i am not sure. I would however have thought it would be.

Also - i was out riding saturday in prep for three peaks and saw the OPQS team as well as Cannondale. This time of year is amazing in Adelaide as a cyclist. I will jump on with some of the pros this friday and next Monday for sure. Which team to pick i am not sure. I reckon Garmin or Team Sky would be best :)

I looked at the point to point http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/documents/2014_stage4_point_to_point.pdf and i thought it would turn off at Devils elbow but i think reading this it goes all the way up freeway and you exit at Stirling. If so, that is awesome, however, the point to point is the race route, whether or not this is the same for Bupa i am not sure. I would however have thought it would be.
Ah nice, I hadnt seen the point to point breakdown....

Yep, that reads 'freeway to the Stirling exit', rather than Devils Elbow....

How does that happen logistically?

Do they shut the whole freeway (or 2 lanes?) to Stirling?

Also, LOL at 3 hours 55 minutes...... :p

Also - i was out riding saturday in prep for three peaks and saw the OPQS team as well as Cannondale. This time of year is amazing in Adelaide as a cyclist. I will jump on with some of the pros this friday and next Monday for sure. Which team to pick i am not sure. I reckon Garmin or Team Sky would be best :)
I saw Astana going through Semaphore yesterday morn....

If you're a twit, @Chrisadelaide is worth a follow.

He's the local guide for the Trek Factory team....

Fantasy cycling for TDU is now open if anyone is interested -
http://dreamteamtalk.com/2014/01/14/fantasy-cycling-for-tdu-game-open/

Also Giant-Shimano have come out with their new jersey. White with 2 black stripes down the front. Looks a bit like the Collingwood clash jersey - especially in the sleeveless version that Kittel selfied with.

Saxo-Tinkoff now tweeting about a new kit launch, might be helpful if they went lighter but kept yellow. But we will see.

.. into a parked car down at the beach.

Could he of been eyeing off some of Adelaide's finest? It's a minefield of attractive women in bikinis down there!

In all seriousness though, huge shame that he won't be racing, was very much looking forward to seeing him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could he of been eyeing off some of Adelaide's finest? It's a minefield of attractive women in bikinis down there!

In all seriousness though, huge shame that he won't be racing, was very much looking forward to seeing him!
ha ha quite possibly. further been revealed it was not a parked car but rather a car stopping quite sharply at a pedestrain crossing. Terrible shame.

Race Preview

So here we are, the first World Tour race of the calendar, kicking off right on out doorstep. This year sees year another very strong field, led by the triumvirate of Aussies; Evans, Porte and Gerrans. Along with them, we will see a number of strong stage race riders, such as Frank Schleck, Robert Gesink, Nicki Sorensen and Diego Ulissi. Finally, this race will certainly have some good sprint talent on show, with Matt Goss, Marcel Kittel, Andre Greipel, JJ Rojas and Jan Bakelants all racing. But despite all the talent that has already been mentioned, we all know every cycling fan will be cheering for the same bloke....

stage-six1-420x0.jpg

Jens Voigt

The race route has a bit of something for sprinters and climbers alike (although nothing like the climbs in the european races). This leaves the race wide open for anyone to win. Will Cadel Evans win? Maybe, but I doubt it. According to sportsbet, Simon Gerrans is the odds on favourite at $3.00. Take from that what you will. Personally, I think the winner will be someone like Gerrans, i.e. a very good rider, but not someone who has designs on willing a GT. That probably rules out Evans, Porte, Schleck and Gesink at the very least. This is "match fitness" training for them. Don't get me wrong, if they have the chance then sure, they'll take it. But I just get the feeling that there will be riders who want this more than those four.

My Tip:
My tip for the win is Lieuwe Westra. Racing for Astana, this dutchman is coming off two reasonable seasons of racing and is just beginning to hit his stride. Though he is not the team leader (Enrico Gasparotto is the nominated leader according to the TDU start list order) I believe he is easily the best stage race rider on that team, which is a reasonably strong team.

Finally, sadly Thomas Voeckler will not be racing. He rode into a stationary car while out on a training ride and broke his collar bone. It is a shame, because races like this suit him, and he is always a really entertaining rider to watch.

Sunday 19th Jan - People's Choice Classic.

We begin with a 50km circuit race around the streets of Adelaide. at just 50km and essentially flat, this race should be ridden at a very high pace. I can honestly say I don't know what to expect from this stage. I think that it might come down to a sprint finish. If that's the case then Expect a shoot out between the German's; Greipel (LTB) and Kittel (GIA). However this race could also be won by a strong time trialist. Look for guys like Brent Bookwalter (BMC), Luke Durbridge (OGE), Jack Bobridge (BEL) or maybe even young gun Caleb Ewen (UNISA) who recently won the U23 Australian Road race championship.

Course

Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 8.16.45 pm.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 8.16.57 pm.png

My Tip.
Even though I really have no clue what will happen, I think it will end up as a sprint finish, in which case, my tip is Marcel Kittel

There is a chance the first stage will be cancelled unless the bush fires in the Barossa are contained in the next day or so.

Too difficult to change the route with only a few days notice.

Wish I had have read that before I did the preview :p

Edit: Oops, I thought you were talking about tomorrow's stage. I'll keep my eye open for any information. Honestly, that though never crossed my mind.

Tomorrow is not the first stage.

The People's Choice Classic is like a pre season footy game.

Yeah I know, I just automatically think of tomorrow as "the first stage", when in reality it is an extended prologue. It does still count towards the overall though doesn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back