teams best 22 2013 improvement/decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
post teams best 22 for 2013 and indicate where u believe improvement will come and where there will be a decline from 2012, il do what i believe will be geelongs at this point

FB- Guthrie(+) Lonergan(same) Enright (same)

HB- Mackie(+) Taylor (same) Rivers(+)

C- Varcoe (+) Kelly(same) Christensen (+)

HF- Motlop(+) Podsiadly(+) Johnson (same)

FF- Vardy(+) Hawkins(+) Menzel (+)

R- Mcintosh(+) Bartel(same) Selwood(same)

Int- Duncan(+) Smedts(+) Caddy(+) t hunt(+)

back ups- Corey(-) chapman (-) stokes (same) kersten(+) murdoch(+) west(same)

Not bad though I'd have a 'same' next to Pods and possibly an '-' next to SJ.
Though with Varcoe set to return and Christensen plus Motlop stepping up I'd probably have a '++' next to Menzel & a '+++' next to Tomahawk... :thumbsu:

Hell, if all goes well I'd even give Hawkins 4 '+'s...

Not bad though I'd have a 'same' next to Pods and possibly an '-' next to SJ.
Though with Varcoe set to return and Christensen plus Motlop stepping up I'd probably have a '++' next to Menzel & a '+++' next to Tomahawk... :thumbsu:

Hell, if all goes well I'd even give Hawkins 4 '+'s...

agreed on hawkins, think this year was the first time he really properly used his body and positioning, will only get better at it next year

only reason i gave podsiadly a + was because he had no pre season in 2012 and was injured again during the year, think given a very good pre season we can see the best of him again

might be right with johnson also, bit of iff and but there

might be right with johnson also, bit of iff and but there
Yeah he's so unpredictable but I fear he may become a list clogger next year.
But then again what other clubs can say that for a casual Norm Smith medal winner who is likely to explode at any given moment..? :thumbsu:

425118-steven-baker.jpg

aap_9056_4Sept_SteveJohnson_800x600.jpg

Yeah he's so unpredictable but I fear he may become a list clogger next year.
But then again what other clubs can say that for a casual Norm Smith medal winner who is likely to explode at any given moment..? :thumbsu:

425118-steven-baker.jpg

aap_9056_4Sept_SteveJohnson_800x600.jpg

i think he needs to return to a forward role next year where he played his AA years and also his north smith game, we should have the midfield quality and depth next year to allow him to go back forward

menzel johnson motlop..... that is going to be a dangerous combination of medium and smalls, more x factor than all seasons of the x factor and 100 years of circus shows right there

i think he needs to return to a forward role next year where he played his AA years and also his north smith game, we should have the midfield quality and depth next year to allow him to go back forward

menzel johnson motlop..... that is going to be a dangerous combination of medium and smalls, more x factor than all seasons of the x factor and 100 years of circus shows right there
Yep I see what you're saying.
We know he's been a lazy silly of late but having the opportunity to play the sneaky forwards role in either pocket could suit him greatly especially as the quality of delivery from the centre next season could possibly have him up around the 50-60 goal mark again... :thumbsu:

Nope, not possible. Players decline after they retire. During their career the only way is up.
Exactly. Cam Mooney went from being a bench sitting premiership player to a bit part premiership player on his way to becoming a carried premiership player before being dropped from his 4th possible premiership side...

Exactly. Cam Mooney went from being a bench sitting premiership player to a bit part premiership player on his way to becoming a carried premiership player before being dropped from his 4th possible premiership side...
Mooney was not a bit part premiership player in 2007. He was one of the best key forwards in the league and kicked five telling goals. He basically carried the forward line that year. Also SJ will be a list clogger next year????? Have you been up all night and on the sauce?

Mooney was not a bit part premiership player in 2007. He was one of the best key forwards in the league and kicked five telling goals. He basically carried the forward line that year. Also SJ will be a list clogger next year????? Have you been up all night and on the sauce?
Nah mate, just responding to AG's (hopefully) sarcasm in the same manner...
We all know Moons is a club legend. :thumbsu:

And no, the SJ dig was just to give Geelong supporters some lulz...

post teams best 22 for 2013 and indicate where u believe improvement will come and where there will be a decline from 2012, il do what i believe will be geelongs at this point

FB- Guthrie(+) Lonergan(same) Enright (same)

HB- Mackie(+) Taylor (same) Rivers(+)

C- Varcoe (+) Kelly(same) Christensen (+)

HF- Motlop(+) Podsiadly(+) Johnson (same)

R- Mcintosh(+) Bartel(same) Selwood(same)

Int- Duncan(+) Smedts(+) Caddy(+) t hunt(+)

back ups- Corey(-) chapman (-) stokes (same) kersten(+) murdoch(+) west(same)

I assume everyone's will look similar to this.. Either + or same for 95% of players. Just the way it is in the off season I guess.... So much hope....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as the GF team but with McGlynn in and Morton out.

Improvement will come from every player because it's natural. That's what BF has told me over the years.

I think it's understandable that given the peak for players is around 24-28, if they're younger than that, you expect improvement. And I do assume improvement for players for most players under that age. Now of course that's not true but it is fair and reasonable to say things like: "Nathan Fyfe and Lewis Jetta should only improve", I don't see any harm in that.

FB: Morris (+) Chaplin (same) Grimes (+)
CHB: Houli (same) Rance (+) Newman (-)
C: Grigg (same/+) Cotchin (++) Deledio (same)
CHF: Knights (++) Vickery (++) Martin (+++)
FF: S Edwards (+) Riewoldt (+) Nahas (same)
R: Maric (-) Foley (-) Tuck (same, possibly -)

Int: Ellis (+), Conca (++), A Edwards (same), Griffiths (++)

Outside: Batchelor (+), Dea (?) Astbury (+), Elton (+), King (-), Jackson (-) just spuds the two of them, I expect King in particular to play less games in 2013.

With Vickery Martin and Cotchin, I should explain, what I mean isn't that they'll become superstars, but that Martin and Vickery had IMO below expectations seasons, and I expect them to bounce back and to have the kind of season we're hoping for. The inclusion of some smaller forwards will allow Martin to play more midfield, which is where he belongs. Cotchin I see as an immense talent, and could possibly tie with Fyfe for the brownlow. Knights will improve in the sense that he'd hopefully be better than he has been in the past 2 seasons. Conca I expect to develop much further, much like players like Heppell and Caddy will, having done their third pre-season with the club. Griffiths has a lot of improvement in him, he's very raw and is still learning the basics. Riewoldt can hopefully have an injury/surgery free pre-season and benefit from improved delivery (I hope) and less defenders focusing on him.

He was lucky to be in a good side Mooney that's for sure. Plus his surname is slang for flashing your arse so there's another black mark against him.

FB- Guthrie(+) Lonergan(+) Enright (-)

HB- Mackie(+) Taylor (+) Rivers (same)

C- Varcoe (+) Kelly(-) Christensen (+)

HF- Motlop (same) Podsiadly(-) Johnson (+)

R- Mcintosh(same) Bartel (+) Selwood(+)

Int- Duncan(+) Smedts(+) Caddy(+) t hunt(same)

back ups- Corey(-) chapman (same) stokes (-) kersten(same) murdoch(same) west(+)[/quote]

I assume everyone's will look similar to this.. Either + or same for 95% of players. Just the way it is in the off season I guess.... So much hope....

the majority of our best next year is quite young and talented so they obviously will improve, no reason why bartel will decline or kelly as neither had best years in 2012 nothing they cant replicate in 13 and they arent 30-31 yet, id probably be saying something different next to the likes of bartel johnson kelly with a minus for next year if they had a outstanding 2012 but they didnt and by no means should be any worse next season baring injuries

can only see us improving next year with the list we have

i think the writing is on the wall that chapman and corey will struggle

Most of our list should improve.

The guys expected to decline are...

cross, Gia, cooney, Murphy (maybe), Boyd (maybe)

I'd have Morris as a decline but he didn't even manage to get on the park last year so he's a +.

After them we don't really have any old players.

FB- Guthrie(+) Lonergan(+) Enright (-)

HB- Mackie(+) Taylor (+) Rivers (same)

C- Varcoe (+) Kelly(-) Christensen (+)

HF- Motlop (same) Podsiadly(-) Johnson (+)

R- Mcintosh(same) Bartel (+) Selwood(+)

Int- Duncan(+) Smedts(+) Caddy(+) t hunt(same)

back ups- Corey(-) chapman (same) stokes (-) kersten(same) murdoch(same) west(+)
[/quote]

id argue that rivers given a role at geelong compared to the worst side in the competition bar the expansion clubs will perform a little better, podsiadly i think is very harsh, he had no pre season in 2012 and was also injured during the year, i think given a strong pre aeason he can find his best again, you have to remember with podsiadly that he hasnt had a decade of bash and crash and bruising like jonathan brown and riewoldt, he has only been in the system for a couple of years and will be very hungry to make it last as long as possible and earn big money, i think given mcintoshs injury problems playing only 7 games in two years if he is fit he can only improve, i also think chapman will decline, he declined this year and his body struggles with AFL now, kersten and murdoch should naturally improve

the rest is fair enough with kelly enright a possible - and motlop a same is touch and go

B: Grant Birchall(same), Josh Gibson(same), Benjamin Stratton(-) lake(-)
HB: Matt Suckling(same), Ryan Schoenmakers(same), Shaun Burgoyne (-)
C: Jordan Lewis(same), Sam Mitchell(-), Xavier Ellis(same)
HF: Jack Gunston(+), Lance Franklin(same), Isaac Smith(+)
F: Cyril Rioli(same), Jarryd Roughead(+), Luke Breust (same)
Foll: David Hale(-), Luke Hodge(-), Brad Sewell (-)
I/C: Clinton Young(gone), Liam Shiels(+), Shane Savage(+), Paul Puopolo (+)
Emg: Max Bailey(same), Thomas Murphy(-), Kyle Cheney (+)

* based on their grand final side + lake - young

I'm waiting for your take on the other 16 teams

o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back