Telstra AFL Live Official App & Pricing

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, the streams for Android aren't working anymore or very hap-hazardly.

Even at the beginning of the year, the first station would work and if I changed stations, I then had to pause and un-pause the app for it to start playing.

But the last few weeks have been rubbish. I tried to listen to Carl v GWS via 3G and nothing would play. I changed to Ade v Freo and all I could get was 5MMM. None of the other stations worked.

I emailed them and they responded and told me they had a temp outage during the Carl game...

So on Monday, I attempted to listen to Mel v Coll and nothing would connect. I ended up searching the internet for the direct mms links and typed one into TuneIn and it was working.

Yeh super frustrating. How did you find TuneIn stream addresses? I had the addresses saved last year on Tune-in but didnt use them this year as found AFL app radio streaming working fine but something has gone skew-iff in the last few weeks. I cant get anything over wifi and via mobile network is very haphazard - more likely to not work. So this weekend I tried to find old Tune-In addresses... (and couldnt!)

I really thought until 3-4 rounds ago the AFL control-freaks had come to their senses as could stream through normal radio sites (3AW, tripleM etc) on Tune-in but then they went back to the old "you must listen to the afl website/app" messages and so I go to do that and it doesnt work! The not-hilarious thing is, living in the ACT, the AFLs increasing controlling ways meant I ended up listening to rugby league this arvo!

Has anyone used a Android based media player to use this service? I've got a MK808B media player which I installed the AFL app on and the free videos of 2013 (i looked at the grand final vid and some other one) games look terrible on a 50" TV, you can't even tell who is who. Are they lower quality videos or is that what I should expect if I pay to watch the NAB Challenge?

Cheers :thumbsu:

I thought the app might vary the resolution depending on the device (phone vs tablet) and/or bandwidth. My old 50" TV has a resolution of 1365x768 which is on par with most average tablets and well below the better tablet's resolutions. I guess the AFL app isn't optimised for tablet resolutions.

why on earth would you try to resize something that's optimised for a mobile screen size to 50 inch tv?
My mobile screen is 1080p, exactly like my 50 inch TV.

The real question is, why would the AFL endorse a crappy, deliberately crippled app in 2014 when streaming HD content is well and truly possible.

because ch 7 and foxtel tell them to do so, so that they have a competitive advantage over an app?
Right, so it's a deliberately crippled system, and the answer isn't "LOL why are you tryin to use a phone app on a TV??/?/?", it's "the AFL is s**t and does terrible deals which disadvantage fans in exchange for money".

Has anyone used a Android based media player to use this service? I've got a MK808B media player which I installed the AFL app on and the free videos of 2013 (i looked at the grand final vid and some other one) games look terrible on a 50" TV, you can't even tell who is who. Are they lower quality videos or is that what I should expect if I pay to watch the NAB Challenge?

Cheers :thumbsu:

It was quite decent at times on my 46" TV, especially once they switched to widescreen format. You can make out the players at least, but I wouldn't expect much better. It really is designed for the iPhone screen. I used a Rikomagic MK802IIIS as media player.

Does anyone know if they're changing anything for this season? They still haven't updated the AFL app website to say 2014 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have used this app in the past, but with the introduction of Foxtel Go, won't be subscribing this year.

Does anyone know if they're changing anything for this season? They still haven't updated the AFL app website to say 2014 season.
Yeah, would also like to know this.

Has anyone found a service which allows you to watch AFL TV (the international service)?

Last edited:
There's an update that's been released for the app. The quality of the AFL.tv stream seems to have improved, so it will be interesting to test it out on a live game tomorrow night.

Has anyone found a service which allows you to watch AFL TV (the international service)?

I believe there are DNS server services that allow you to do so.

I believe there are DNS server services that allow you to do so.
Yeah, that was really my question - is anyone using a particular one with success?

As for stream quality, IIRC the replays were much better quality than the live streams last year. Perhaps someone can report on the live stream quality once the games start.

As I am lucky to get a crappy 400kpbs bandwidth at my joint, I had assumed that Telstra were using adaptive bandwidth technology like most streaming sports apps now do. They either do this, which means that if you have decent bandwidth you get decent quality (or the quality improves/degrades as your bandwidth fluctuates), or they take a lowest common denominator approach, which means everyone gets a low quality. If they don't use one of these 2 techniques then users like me (poor bandwidth) would find the broadcast would be continually pausing while it buffered the stream in order to keep up.

As I am lucky to get a crappy 400kpbs bandwidth at my joint, I had assumed that Telstra were using adaptive bandwidth technology like most streaming sports apps now do. They either do this, which means that if you have decent bandwidth you get decent quality (or the quality improves/degrades as your bandwidth fluctuates), or they take a lowest common denominator approach, which means everyone gets a low quality. If they don't use one of these 2 techniques then users like me (poor bandwidth) would find the broadcast would be continually pausing while it buffered the stream in order to keep up.
It has some degree of flexibility, but even the best quality is pretty poor - lowish resolution, lots of compression, etc. In comparison my, er, friend is able to stream Netflix at a quality which is signficiantly above DVD and only a little below blu ray. So decent quality is possible.

I subscribed to the app through my Telstra mobile in 2012 with the annual pass costing $50 and I was able to get that deal again last year however Telstra texted me to say this year they will charge me $10 a month through my mobile account. I'm on Prepaid and don't use up all my credits each month so the $10 will come off my prepaid balance.

For those who subscribe through iTunes and therefore can access the service via wifi (I'm limited to just accessing via Telstra 3G) the cost is $5.49/week, $14.95/month or $89.99 annual pass.

UPDATE: I see that the AFL have a new 'one pass' for premium content in 2014 but it's not up and running yet:

http://www.afl.com.au/register

Last edited:
It's a service for mobile devices, so surprise surprise they're never going to spend much time worrying about how it looks on TVs. When it runs at its highest resolution on my phone or 7" tablet, I've found it to be more than watchable.
Yeah, I realise that. The central complaint I have is that there is no reasonable streaming option for TV, when there should be.

On top of which, most current generation phones and tablets are capable of displaying 1080p content, so strictly even a mobile app should be aiming to achieve that.

UPDATE: I see that the AFL have a new 'one pass' for premium content in 2014 but it's not up and running yet:

http://www.afl.com.au/register

Interesting. If it does include streaming, it would be a way to get around the issue of subscriptions being OS specific (i.e. last season, if you had an Android subscription, you didn't have access to streaming on an iOS device unless you get another subscription). Would be handy for me because I have an Android phone and an iPad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back