Delisted Eli Templeton

Remove this Banner Ad

how the hell did we manage to end up with him?
Simple - just marketing.

we passed him over 3 times, then other teams passed him over even more times. Eventually, in the rookie draft, we said, "ok.. let's pick a media / BF fave this time."

http://www.footytragic.com/blog/uncategorized/kps-phantom-draft/

#15 – ELI TEMPLETON
Height: 182cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 19/8/1995
Recruited from: Burnie Dockers
Eli Templeton is really just a ‘no-fuss’ type of player. You’d be foolish to just look at his hair and put him in the flaky basket because that’s just not who he is. He’s an extremely hard-working midfielder who just keeps working on improving his game.

Templeton came onto the scene at U/16’s level when he really did well at the National Carnival. He got picked in the AIS Academy squad but was then not invited back this year which would’ve been a big kick in the guts for him. He took it in his stride and completed a fantastic season where he played senior level footy in Tasmania for the Burnie Dockers as well as representing Tasmania again in the National Champs where he really staked his claim as a top prospect.

Templeton doesn’t exactly have many standout features, but he’s just pretty good at everything. He does have a slight build, but he should be able to fill out just fine. He’s put on six kilos this year which gives you a bit of a picture of where he’s coming from physically. In the early days of his AFL career he’d probably be a bit too slight to play as a permanent midfielder, but he’s not a stranger to playing off the flanks. Eventually the midfield will be his role and he’s capable of playing inside and out.

Athletically Templeton is outstanding, and he’s the type of player that will just keep on going when everyone else is out on their feet. He’s a willing worker who enjoys finding space, spreading and linking up and this will be extremely beneficial late in games. He had a very good Combine, which basically confirmed everything we’ve seen from him out on the field. There have been some queries on his pace, but I thought he whacked that on the head with a 20m sprint of 3.06 seconds. It’s not blistering pace but he’s not slow as some have suggested. Templeton ranked in the top 23% in agility, ran a 15.3 beep test, top 21% in repeat sprints and top 8% in the 3km time-trial. His endurance is a huge asset.

I mentioned that Templeton is a bit of a hybrid midfielder in that he can play both roles. He’s probably more suited to play the outside role due to his run but I think once he puts on a bit more weight he’ll be able to match it inside. He is no disgrace inside and he is quite a good clearance player. When he gets it in tight, he does dish out the quick hands quite well and I must admit sometimes his little moves do remind me of Dyson Heppell, but I’m trying not to get caught up with the hairstyle. The reason why I like him more on the outside is because of his ability to read the play and run both ways. I think he’s the ideal modern-day wingman because of this balance of attack and defence, plus he has outstanding endurance. I’m not comparing him to Brandon Ellis, but I think he’s quite capable of the role Ellis played for the Tigers this season at the next level. At the Champs he had an equal amount of rebound 50’s as he did inside 50’s (12). In terms of his defensive pressure, I think it could do with a little bit of improvement, but I don’t think it is a massive issue. He has shown he is a willing tackler, but sometimes he’s caught ball-watching.

Templeton normally runs at a very high efficiency rate, but I certainly don’t think his kicking is elite. He is very safe with ball in hand and doesn’t really take too many risks with it, which isn’t a bad thing. His kicking doesn’t necessarily have the penetration to break the lines but he instead creates plays with his continuous run and chain of passes.

I’m a really big fan of Templeton. I enjoy his dare and he’s quite a fun player to watch. The way he worked back after a disappointing season last year is a big tick in my book and I think he has a bright future if he keeps working that hard and puts on a bit of size.

If hes a cross between Denzel Washington and Kelvin Templeton i'll be happy :):thumbsu:

But knowing our luck he'll probably do TV interviews like Kelvin Templeton and play footy like Denzel Washington o_O:p
Welcome aboard Eli.

Interesting......

"Knowing what I do, I don't think Templeton was overlooked in the ND purely for football."

Perhaps we got an absolute bargain here. And I reckon if there are any personal issues a change of scenario to the big smoke may just do him the world of good. Really like this selection.

Interesting......

"Knowing what I do, I don't think Templeton was overlooked in the ND purely for football."

Perhaps we got an absolute bargain here. And I reckon if there are any personal issues a change of scenario to the big smoke may just do him the world of good. Really like this selection.
I thought you were talking about Garlett :p

I think he plays a bit like Joey. Runs both ways, good endurance, good skills and a bit of flair. We´re building the foundations and laying the bricks by bringing in kids like Eli. Can´t believe I´m so excited about a rebuild. Even if we´re not winning games in the near future it´s interesting watching this grow. Fair to say the clubs recruitment staff have made some really bold moves this off season. This is exactly what fans want at this time for the club.

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/1937170/eli-templeton-becomes-a-saint/?cs=12

"I did have some doubts after not getting selected last week, I thought [clubs] might opt for more mature-aged blokes in the rookie draft, so I'm relieved now I've been given a chance. It's been a dream of mine for a long time.

"It obviously hit hard when I didn't get picked up in the national [draft] but I always had the belief in myself that I had the ability to make it.''

"He'll be able to show me the ropes, he's been through it all before,'' Templeton said of Weller. "If I'm having troubles - whether it be training loads - he'll be able to talk me through it. Also knowing that he is a hard worker is a positive, hopefully his good traits rub off him on me."

Templeton said he was hopeful he can be upgraded to the senior list following his one-year contract as a rookie.

With the likely retirements of a few more senior players at the end of next season I reckon Eli and Weller are in a good position to be upgraded. I wouldn't be surprised if both are considered short term rookies by the list management guys.

With the likely retirements of a few more senior players at the end of next season I reckon Eli and Weller are in a good position to be upgraded. I wouldn't be surprised if both are considered short term rookies by the list management guys.
Agree.. Don't think they will both be on the rookie list long, but it'll also depend on list changes at the end of next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.. Don't think they will both be on the rookie list long, but it'll also depend on list changes at the end of next season.

Lenny will be done at the end of the year, so there's one spot that will open up, but TDL, Milera, Dunell, Jones and probably Armitage will be the ones the rule is run over and then Newnes and some of the kids will come under some soft scrutiny as to whether they are the ones to take us forward.

There'll be spots available if Mav and Eli are good enough.

Depending on his body in 2014 wouldn't surprise me if we try talking Hayes into playing into 2015 so he can reach 300 game milestone.

Depending on his body in 2014 wouldn't surprise me if we try talking Hayes into playing into 2015 so he can reach 300 game milestone.
I'd talk him into experimental brain-transplant surgery, then knock out Cam Shenton and steal his body if I thought it could get him to a premiership medal... But I think 2015 might be a bridge too far for our Leonard :(

Interesting......

I don't think there is much, if anything at all, to worry about there. From what I was told yesterday I believe a mountain that scared other clubs off was made out of a molehill (and not much of a molehill at that, maybe a half-built one!) and it looks like we're the club that could benefit significantly out of it.

I think it is extraordinarily safe to say he is the one we rated in our top 30 that didn't get picked up in the ND, given that, of the of the 3 who were taken in the PSD and RD before we picked up Eli, two of them were on AFL lists last year and were either just redrafted or, in Lamb's case, was always going to GWS, while the other one was someone I'd never even heard of, so would have been less likely to have been rated in our top 30 than someone who many rated in their top 30's (which Eli was). :thumbsu:

I'd talk him into experimental brain-transplant surgery, then knock out Cam Shenton and steal his body if I thought it could get him to a premiership medal... But I think 2015 might be a bridge too far for our Leonard :(

agree. if he had to be pewrsuaded for 2014, he won't be doing 2015.

agree. if he had to be pewrsuaded for 2014, he won't be doing 2015.
Depends if it was because Watters doing the persuading. If it's Richo doing it, the result might be a bit different.

We may find that Lenny slips a little further again this year and that 2015 in not viable for him or the club. His year from Lennys lofty standards was down last year and would be best for him to retire as the club champion that he is, rather than overstaying his time and struggling. He said somewhere last year that he would even retire mid-season if his form didn't warrant selection, or he was sub, or not getting enough games. Justifiably he carries his pride of performance right to the end.

We may find that Lenny slips a little further again this year and that 2015 in not viable for him or the club. His year from Lennys lofty standards was done last year and would be best for him to retire as the club champion that he is, rather than overstaying his time and struggling. He said somewhere last year that he would even retire mid-season if his form didn't warrant selection, or he was sub, or not getting enough games. Justifiably he carries his pride of performance right to the end.

I would not be surprised if he announced his retirement mid year. especially if he saw that the saints now had some mid field depth, and he knew that he could leave knowing there was players to take over. Let us just cheer him whenever he players this year.As i doubt that he will play all 22 games.

I would not be surprised if he announced his retirement mid year. especially if he saw that the saints now had some mid field depth, and he knew that he could leave knowing there was players to take over. Let us just cheer him whenever he players this year.As i doubt that he will play all 22 games.
His retirement game will be EPIC.

H
Honestly hope he gets the opportunity to have one. Doesn't always happen as we know. Chaired off the ground after a win is the warrior's way to go.

Different take on an old Viking song -

Lo, there do I see my coaches
Lo, there do I see my captains
And my teammates young and old
Lo, there do I see the cheer squad
Back to the beginning!

Lo, do they call to me
They bid me take my place among them,
In the halls of Moorabbin!
Where the brave may live forever.

2014 should just be a season long celebration of Lenny Hayes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back