wacky wookie thread

Ch 7 not telecasting games in HD when they send the games to Foxtel in HD is a disgrace.
Ch 7 telecasting NFL games in HD and not AFL games is a disgrace.
Ch 7 coverage is sensationalism and a disgrace.
Doesn't Foxtel have to scale up the 7 broadcast to a HD Frankenstein's monster?
It's still grainy on my massive screen haha

cammo78

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mooroolbark FC, Arizona Cardinals
Ch 7 not telecasting games in HD when they send the games to Foxtel in HD is a disgrace.
Ch 7 telecasting NFL games in HD and not AFL games is a disgrace.
Ch 7 coverage is sensationalism and a disgrace.

What makes you think Channel 7 send games to Foxtel in HD?

They don't. This is the whole crux of the "why don't 7 show HD" - they are not required to contractually, so why spend the money to get HD vision when you don't have to?

What you see on Foxtel is upscaled SD vision.

Foxtel' own vision is HD - compare the two, there's a massive difference.

Every NFL game is in HD - there's no expense for 7 so of course they're happy to show them in HD.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
There is movement at the station, TEN to be precise:

Bruce Gordon’s representative Paul Mallam quits Network Ten board
The board representative of Network Ten’s biggest shareholder has quit the position after four years, it has been revealed.

During that period the share price of the company ... has plummeted on the back of ratings and advertising declines, leading potential suitors including the Discovery Network and Foxtel to express interest in acquiring the free-to-air network, with the final deadline for prospective tenderers closing tomorrow.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
The Saturday night team....Why did you remind me

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
What makes you think Channel 7 send games to Foxtel in HD?

They don't. This is the whole crux of the "why don't 7 show HD" - they are not required to contractually, so why spend the money to get HD vision when you don't have to?

What you see on Foxtel is upscaled SD vision.

Foxtel' own vision is HD - compare the two, there's a massive difference.

Every NFL game is in HD - there's no expense for 7 so of course they're happy to show them in HD.

7 do shoot the games in HD. Or at least the cameras they use are HD cameras - so I assume they're being shot in HD because I can't see why an HD camera would shoot in SD.

It was reported a while back that 7 deliberately downscale it before sending it to Fox. I don't know whether that's true but there is a clear difference in quality between Fox's Channel 7 games and their own HD games.

cammo78

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mooroolbark FC, Arizona Cardinals
7 do shoot the games in HD. Or at least the cameras they use are HD cameras - so I assume they're being shot in HD because I can't see why an HD camera would shoot in SD.

It was reported a while back that 7 deliberately downscale it before sending it to Fox. I don't know whether that's true but there is a clear difference in quality between Fox's Channel 7 games and their own HD games.

That's an old wives tale mate.

Seven shoot AFL in SD.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/...-not-be-shown-in-hd/xozn90etxfh010oappbs87r6t

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It would be incredible if Seven's games aren't recorded in HD. They just aren't broadcast in HD or given to Foxtel because they don't have to.

"Another assumes Seven, after paying more $425 million for the rights, cannot afford to buy new HD equipment."

Doesn't have s**t to do with the equipment. It's the same contractors doing Seven and Foxtel's games.

Old_Man_James

Team Captain
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Are there any set future plans from 7 to broadcast in HD?

Look, I may have once been happy to watch a 10inch black and white TV, but after seeing the odd thing such as the tour and football on SBS 30, I didnt realize how much of a difference it makes flicking from SBS to SBSHD.

On a slightly related note, was in JB-Hifi earlier and went pass the 4K tvs. It made me realize how good watching sport on TV will be one day... like watching the real thing. (although with channel 7's shitty camera angles that will ensure AFL will always be better live)

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
as long as no quarterbrain, gossage and walls im keen.

But it reeks of desperation from ten must be desperate to save its channel in any shape or form.

and i doubt with the current technology advancements the afl wouldnt be that dumb to commit to a deal that long

Back