Teams Tennessee Titans - The Music City Oilers ™

Re: Youtube of American Football

He is also claiming Vince Young went 4-5 last year
what's next, he's going to say Brian Hoyer's 7-3 in his career?
Bit of a jump there, dontchya think?

In that loss, he started the second half, when both teams were 10 a-piece at the half.

Woulda been better off if Collins stayed in - At least he wouldn't have tuned the ball over :D

You agree that D. Ware is the DPOY of the year?

Face value stats prove all!
says the person whos whole arguement has been based around 1 stat :rolleyes:
Don't spose we can move these BS posts to the Titans thread or something, don't see a lot of videos going on.
please do, I just put up a video, and Zarko infinite level of maturity decided that I was going on and on about s**t, and trying to prove something, when I never gave a s**t about having an arguement

he would of been more effective argueing against a brick wall, because I was never planning (untill about an hour ago) to even contemplate giving a proper rebuttle

Isn't your whole argument based around his W/L record? Heck it's why you called him a top 4 QB after all!

Wouldn't it have simply been easier not to post BS in the first place? (Which no doubt you did just to get attention, ie Manning only good because of his recievers)

I simply find it a necessity to correct blatantly wrong opinions is all!

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

Interesting speculation by PFT on Chris Johnson....

As teams prepare their list of potential free agents in 2012, there’s a fairly big name that some currently are putting in the “maybe” category.

Per a league source, several teams believe that the Titans could release running back Chris Johnson before the fifth day of the 2012 league year, at which time his base salary of $8 million becomes fully guaranteed.

Johnson’s $8 million compensation for next year is guaranteed for injury only. At the time he signed the new deal, it was assumed that he’d eventually get the money. Now, there’s growing speculation that the Titans won’t allow the salary to become guaranteed unless his on-field play improves significantly.

Actually, there’s a good chance that the number will be $7.7 million, since under the contract Johnson’s salary will drop by $300,000 if he doesn’t rush for 1,000 yards in 2011. Through seven games, he’s on pace for 690 yards.

Another $9 million of Johnson’s guaranteed money is guaranteed only for injury now, and won’t become fully guaranteed until the fifth day of the 2013 league year. As a result, the Titans can avoid a full $17 million of Johnson’s $30 million in guaranteed money if they cut him before March 2012.

So if Johnson doesn’t step it up, he could be stepping out of Nashville.

2012 off-season could be very interesting if CJ is released and if Peyton Manning gets traded.

Hello? Is there another Titans fan in the building? Anyone? Anywhere? Didn't think so :( I guess I'll have to comment, excuse my ignorance.

I was heartened with CJ's first half this morning, he finally was able to actually get some 10+ yard runs, although he went missing in the 2nd half, as did The Titans. Would a team sacrifice one of the best RBs in the game (regardless of how he performs the rest of this season) just to save $$$? Would we trade him, and without knowing how the trades work in the NFL, would we be able to get anything significant for him?

We really are up s**t creek, losing our best WR, our best RB blowing big time, and now with no chance of making the playoffs, maybe we could piss off the Colts and somehow get that saviour, what's his name, Luck? :p

Oh, and I really like Munchak and Hasselbeck, they both just seem to have their heads screwed on and are trying to do everything right for the team, none of this "I'm ****in awesome, I'm the best, now give me the ball" crap that is so evident in American sport.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
You can become the undisputed Titans man on this board therefore. Special honors.

Interesting questions you pose...but it's been done before to lesser extents recently. Example, Jaguars cutting Garrard. There's probably more examples recently. Other similar ones could be, Raiders letting Asomugha and Miller go to save money. Colts thinking about cutting Manning before March to save tens of millions, etc. But yeah, it's hard to see with CJ seeing as he's so young, healthy, and possibly just having a down year. I'm guessing the Titans will first be patient and vainly ask to re-do his contract for salary cap reasons next season.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Hello? Is there another Titans fan in the building? Anyone? Anywhere? Didn't think so :( I guess I'll have to comment, excuse my ignorance.
Over the years, whenever I came across someone who liked NFL, on more than half the occasions, when I asked them what team they go for, the answer would be "Green Bay". After that, Tennessee was the next most common answer. In fact, I used to play, and the biggest supported team amongst our players was Tennesee. Collingwood? :thumbsdown: Tennessee? :thumbsdown: (especially after this morning! :eek:) Orlando? Hey, we have a winner! :thumbsu:

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Chris Johnson Finally Pulls His Head Out of His Ass (better title)

Titans running back Chris Johnson is finally getting back to form after a dreadful start to the season, and after a big game on Sunday his teammates were raving that he did it all while he was sick as a dog.

Johnson told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean that he’s been so sick that he hadn’t eaten a full meal in a week and had lost 10 pounds.

“I can’t lie, I felt weak out there. It was pretty hard to practice all week,” Johnson said. “It was the flu or something, I don’t know, but it was bad. I just had to push through it because we have to continue to win if we want to make the playoffs.”

Titans receiver Damian Williams compared Johnson to Michael Jordan, who in Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals scored 38 points in 44 minutes while battling a serious case of the flu.

“Michael Jordan put up 50 points when he was sick,” Williams said. “What C.J. did, that’s a testament to him, to come out and keep working. We are definitely proud of him. People have been on him all year about not having the production they think he should have, but he’s pushed through it, and he kept fighting.”

Whatever Johnson is doing recently, it’s working. He has 486 yards in the last four games after gaining just 366 yards in the fight eight games of the season. And he has the Titans back in the playoff race.

Over the years, whenever I came across someone who liked NFL, on more than half the occasions, when I asked them what team they go for, the answer would be "Green Bay". After that, Tennessee was the next most common answer. In fact, I used to play, and the biggest supported team amongst our players was Tennesee. Collingwood? :thumbsdown: Tennessee? :thumbsdown: (especially after this morning! :eek:) Orlando? Hey, we have a winner! :thumbsu:

I'm really surprised by that. I've scrolled the NFL board for 18 months or so and never come across a Titans fan, nor do I ever see them mentioned much at all. I understand (especially with Vince Young gone) that there isn't really much to talk about but even when we have a close game, there may only be 1 or 2 posts about it in a Week X thread. I'm not complaining, it just seems 'we' are like Port Adelaide/Fremantle where no one really gives 2 hoots what happens at LP field.

I'm surprised anyone can get a quote out of CJ, any time I hear him at a press conference I have to listen to it 3-4 times just to understand what he is saying. Really shits me.

1 game can make a big difference to everything, I think if we were .500 it would be about where we should be, that win against The Ravens early on might come in handy, but then again the loss to The Jags in week 1 will more than likely come back to bite us on the bum.

Wouldn't it just be ludicrous if we managed to finish 10-6 and sneak a wildcard place :D

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm really surprised by that. I've scrolled the NFL board for 18 months or so and never come across a Titans fan, nor do I ever see them mentioned much at all. I understand (especially with Vince Young gone) that there isn't really much to talk about but even when we have a close game, there may only be 1 or 2 posts about it in a Week X thread.
Most Titans fans I knew, grew up with Steve McNair as their hero, so they're probably a bit older than you.
I'm not complaining, it just seems 'we' are like Port Adelaide/Fremantle where no one really gives 2 hoots what happens at LP field.
Fremantle? Maybe, Port Adelaide? Despite sharing colour with the Panthers, Port Adelaide=Jacksonville. And I like Jacksonville!

NFL.com's gun reporter, Albert Breer has the SMART MONEY on the TITANS in securing Peyton Manning's services.

I think it's a mere formality now.. look at the planets aligning for Peyton's new home.

Sources close to Manning have indicated that the quarterback's comfort level will be important in determining where he signs. That's another area where the Titans feel they have an edge. Manning, who played college ball with the Tennessee Volunteers, is a legend in the state, and his wife is a native. Palmer coached Manning's younger brother, Eli, in New York.

And then there are the personal ties. Chief operating officer Mike Reinfeldt, Munchak and offensive line coach Bruce Matthews all played with Manning's father, Archie. The elder Manning also once drew paychecks from Titans owner Bud Adams when he was an Oiler.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Titans DC uses some disturbing words to motivate his players

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 5, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
350x-319-e1349449654909.jpg

Jerry Gray used to work for Gregg Williams.

And apparently he learned a thing or two about a turn of phrase from his old boss.

The Titans defensive coordinator used some frankly disturbing language in reference to his team’s inability to stop passes across the middle of the field.

Gray told Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean he wanted his guys to play without regards to possible fines.

“If you are worrying about that, you are not going to go out and try and blow the guy up,” Gray said. “Great football players have to put that out of their mind. You have to say, ‘This is my territory between the numbers, and if you throw the football you better bring the Gator truck.’
“And that’s how you have to play. You can’t play timid in the NFL.”

The Gator is the green tractor/cart teams use to haul off injured players.

If that’s not quite “Kill the head and the body will die,” it’s at least running down the same road, and the kind of thing coaches should be smarter than to say out loud in the wake of the Saints bounty investigation, for which Williams was suspended.

There’s a way to read it that comes up well short of “Jerry Gray is telling his guys to hurt opponents,” but he opened the door when referencing what amounts to a “cart-off.”

The Titans currently rank last in the league in points allowed, next to last in yards. They’ve also been outscored 41-13 in the first quarters.
“Have we blown anybody up? … Maybe we are playing too timid,” Gray said. “We can’t give up touchdowns as soon as we get off the bus. We didn’t do that last year. You can’t give up touchdowns in the first quarter and expect to get sacks and expect to get turnovers. . . .

“I don’t coach a defense like this, and I don’t think they intend to play a defense like that. But when it happens, what do you do to fix it? And that is our job. We have 12 weeks to fix it.”

Gray should also expect to spend part of that time on the phone with someone in New York, who will explain to him that you can’t even approach the suggestion of soliciting injuries at a time when the league’s preaching player safety.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Titans score 28 points in 5 minutes: 2 punt return TDs, 2 pick-sixes

dariusreynaud.jpg

A meaningless Week 17 game in Tennessee has just provided us with one of the most shocking sequences in the history of football: The Titans scored 28 points on four touchdowns (two each by two players) in less than five minutes of game time — without running a single offensive play.

It started with the Jaguars winning 14-7 at the two-minute warning of the first half, when quarterback Chad Henne threw an interception that Titans linebacker Zach Brown returned 79 yards for a touchdown. That tied the game at 14-14.

After the Jaguars were stopped on their next offensive series, they punted — and Titans returner Darius Reynaud ran it back 69 yards for a touchdown. That made the score 21-14 Titans just before halftime.

The Jaguars got the ball to start the second half and were stopped on their opening possession, so they punted — and Reynaud returned the punt 81 yards for a touchdown. That made the score 28-14 Titans with 13:13 remaining in the third quarter.

On the Jaguars’ next possession, Henne again threw an interception to Brown, and Brown again returned it for a touchdown, this time going 30 yards. That made the score 35-14 Titans with 12:11 remaining in the third quarter.

That’s right: The Titans scored two touchdowns in the last two minutes of the first half and two touchdowns in the first three minutes of the second half, and they never had the ball on offense at any point during those five minutes. What a wacky way for these two bad teams to end their season.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Adams didn’t forgive Reinfeldt for not delivering Manning

350x-37.jpg

Titans owner Bud Adams hasn’t always been good at holding back his feelings.

But you can’t say he’s not capable of holding a grudge.

After firing senior executive vice president and COO Mike Reinfeldt yesterday, the reasons why remained up in the air (especially since he was still working when the news broke).

As it turns out, it was a nearly year-old slight that may have been the biggest factor in his losing his job.

According to Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean, conversations with Adams gave him the distinct impression the single biggest reason Reinfeldt’s out of work was the failed pursuit of Peyton Manning last offseason.

Adams was clear about his desire to land the former University of Tennessee quarterback when he was a free agent, but felt Reinfeldt didn’t act quickly enough or at all when asked to make it happen. Wyatt said Adams has “held it against him ever since.”

Adams told Wyatt he wasn’t even sure if Reinfeldt passed along his wishes to general manager Ruston Webster or coach Mike Munchak, tacitly preferring to stick with Jake Locker and Matt Hasselbeck.

Manning turning in an MVP-caliber season while the Titans finished 6-10 didn’t help make Adams forget.

It’s easy to characterize Adams as a bit off-center, and sort of a lovable, old crank. But he’s still the boss, and ignoring the boss is never a good idea.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Police say Kenny Britt isn’t cooperating

350x-225.jpg

During the lockout, the father of Titans receiver Kenny Britt said that Kenny would be in less trouble with the law if he would be not in Bayonne, New Jersey.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Britt is back in Bayonne. And back in trouble with the law.

Despite a statement from Britt’s anonymous spokesman (seriously) that he’s cooperating with police after Britt dropped off a friend at the hospital who had been stabbed, police now say Britt’s isn’t. Per Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, a police captain in Bayonne said Monday of Britt, “At this point he is still not cooperating with police. So whatever statement he puts out is false.”

(Hey, that’s one of the risks of using anonymous spokespersons. There’s just no accountability.)

The authorities have made a general plea for assistance in finding Britt. “We are asking anyone who has info of his whereabouts to contact us & that includes the owner of the Titans,” the police captain said.

And so it appears that Britt’s cooperation for now consists of Titans owner Bud Adams’ favorite expression in sign language. With one finger. Both hands.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jared Cook doesn’t understand Titans coaching changes

300x-22.jpg

The Titans decided to hold onto head coach Mike Munchak, but they’re parted ways with several assistant coaches since the end of the regular season.
That’s not sitting all that well with tight end Jared Cook. Cook is slated to become a free agent come the end of the league year and he expressed confusion about what the Titans are doing with their staff, including the decision to relieve tight ends coach John Zernhelt of his duties with the team.

“I didn’t get [linebackers coach] Frank Bush at all, and I don’t get Coach Z either,” Cook said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I am very surprised at that, very surprised. I just don’t understand that move. Point black. Period. I mean, Coach Z was a great run blocking coach and he really explained the run game and he really broke things down to where you could really understand things better. And he was great in the development of all of us. I just don’t get why you would want to let a guy like that go.”

Cook’s displeasure with his role in the Titans offense has been aired publicly in the past, something that would seem to lessen the chances of his returning to the team. Wyatt reports that the Titans are “very much interested” in retaining Cook, although that may be more difficult if they aren’t planning to use the franchise tag on the tight end in order to restrict his movement once free agency gets underway.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Titans announce coaching moves

124640992.jpg

The Titans didn’t fire their head coach, but they’ve parted ways with plenty of assistant coaches.

They’re now filling the gaps that resulted from the moves.

The team has announced that Dowell Loggains (pictured), who became offensive coordinator after Chris Palmer was fired, will keep the job. Loggains will be replaced at quarterbacks coach by Dave Ragone, who previously served as receivers coach.

Shawn Jefferson joins the team as receivers coach, with George Henshaw hired to coach tight ends and Sylvester Croom coaching running backs.

Also, Chet Parlavecchio moves from assistant special-teams coordinator to linebackers coach, and Nate Kaczor will coach special teams after serving as assistant line coach.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Music City Miracle in "Top Sports Calls" List

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — ESPN’s SportsCenter included the radio play-by-play call of the Music City Miracle in a top 10 list of “top calls in sports history” on Tuesday in celebration of the 40th anniversary of Howard Cosell’s “Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!” call during the George Foreman-Joe Frazier boxing match for the World Heavyweight Championship.

The Cosell call didn’t make the program’s top 10, but the description of Frank Wycheck’s lateral to Kevin Dyson for a 75-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in Tennessee’s 22-16 win against Buffalo made the cut.

“Voice of the Titans” Mike Keith said he is still honored and humbled to have called the improbable play, and said its inclusion in such a list adds to those feelings.

Just before Steve Christie kicked a high and short kickoff to Lorenzo Neal, Keith asked, “Do the Titans have a miracle left in them in what has been a magical season to this point?

“If they do, they need it now,” he added just before the ball took flight and the trick play took shape. Neal handed the ball to Wycheck, and the tight end fired it across the field to the speedy receiver who streaked down the Titans’ sideline with a convoy of blockers.

As Keith alerted listeners of the yard lines that Dyson was crossing, former Titans color analyst Pat Ryan chimed in with, “He’s got something. He’s got something! He’s got it!”

“Five, end zone! Touchdown Titans!,” Keith proclaimed. “There are no flags on the field! It’s a miracle! Tennessee has pulled a miracle, a miracle for the Titans!”

Keith said use of the word “miracle” before the kickoff was “dumb luck,” but remembered how the phrase “Music City Miracle” quickly resonated during the postgame call-in show.

Keith said he considers the play, “not the call, but the play,” as significant as any play in the history of an NFL franchise because it springboarded the Titans past Indianapolis and Jacksonville for the AFC Championship and into Super Bowl XXXIV and made a significant early impression and memory for pro football fans in the Mid-South.

When asked how to prepare to call a game-changing play, Keith said “you don’t,” but instead announcers try to benefit from previous experience they’ve gained, often in less famous settings. From there, announcers try to trust their eyes, even if the image is unbelievable.

“The most important thing to do in those situations is just focus on what you’re seeing, don’t focus on what you think, don’t focus on giving an opinion, don’t focus on trying to do too much,” Keith said. “The most important thing is just call what you see, and if you get it right, then that’s all that counts. Now, will that resonate with people? Will they say it was good, bad or (be) indifferent? You don’t know, but if you get it right, then you can live with whatever the response to the call is because you’ve called it.

“Lindsey Nelson always said, ‘If you can call minor league baseball and high school football, you can call anything because you’ll see about anything and you’re trained in the skills,’ ” Keith recalled. “I had 10 years of each, so that was really handy for that sort of thing because coming into the job, I had seen a lot of strange things and called a lot of strange things, obviously on a level that most people never heard, but it was good training and you always hope for young broadcasters that they can have that same thing because it gets you prepared, sort of, with the basics because if you’ve done those things, I can promise you that you’ve messed up enough calls that you’ve sort of learned how you’re going to handle different things when they come up.”

Keith said he’s still grateful for the opportunities to learn directly from Nelson, John Ward, Bob Kesling and Randy Smith and the chances to listen to former announcers like Cawood Ledford at Kentucky, Larry Munson at Georgia, John Forney at Alabama, Jim Fyffe at Auburn, Jack Cristil at Mississippi State and Paul Eells, who did Vanderbilt and Arkansas, when Keith was younger.

“You grow up hearing those guys, and you hear them in very different ways capture moments and you think, you know, I hope I can do that at some point,” Keith said. “And what they all have in common, is while their styles are all so vastly different, is they all love it.”

The top three calls on the SportsCenter list were:

3. “The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!” by Russ Hodges during Bobby Thompson’s ninth inning, three-run homer that lifted the New York Giants past the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1951.

2. “I don’t believe what I just saw!” by Jack Buck during Kirk Gibson’s pinch hit home run for the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series against Oakland.

1. “Do you believe in miracles? Yes!” by Al Michaels as the final seconds expired in the United States’ 4-3 upset of the Soviet Union in the gold medal game of the 1980 Winter Olympics.

Keith agreed with that call topping the list and said Michaels “to this day, still captures a moment better than anybody.”

“I don’t know how he does it, and if you ask him about preparation or whatever, he would probably tell you a lot of the same things. You can’t know what you’re going to say in certain moments. You don’t stand there while you’re shaving and think, ‘If this happens, I’m going to say this.’ There’s a training, but there’s also an innate ability to hit it, and he hits it better than anybody.

“When he said, ‘Do you believe in miracles?’ that was such a great moment,” recalled Keith, who was 12 at the time and old enough to understand the Cold War. “That, to me, is not only the greatest sports call of all time, I think it’s the greatest radio call of all time because it so captured a sports moment and a country’s moment in terms of how we all felt. I didn’t know anything about hockey, but I was glued to that … that was so important to so many people, and to be able to be in that moment and get that sense of what everybody is feeling, is such a gift that he has, that to me, separates him from everybody else.”

The Music City Miracle recently turned 13, and Keith said he still enjoys talking with fans about their memories of the play.

“It’s always very humbling to hear every part of it and hear the way that it had an impact and that our call is at least a small part of that memory, which is very gratifying and very humbling,” Keith said.

Back