Movie Terminator: Genisys

Remove this Banner Ad

from perspective that time is infinite. they can go forward, back in time without any rationale just cause.

lt waters down the impact and events of T2 every time they 'defer' the onset of Skynet.

Such a brilliant story in T2 of 'no fate' and rewriting the future became somewhat meaningless in T3 when we were told it was that 'General all along'. And it contradicted the concept of T2 of preventing Judgement Day to casually change it to 'survive it'.

I found that as quite a cop just so another movie could be made, with Judgement Day deferred for a later date instead. So much for 'no fate but what we make for ourselves'.

T3 also ****ed the timeline but that's a whole different story altogether.

Anyway, point being as a viewer, it doesn't really resonate with me when they blow up Cyberdyne again and again. It's not prevention anyway, its deferrment.

I found the concept of T2's cause and effect (ie, backwards re-engineering from the 1984 T-800) absolutely fascinating. Such care and detail was spent to explain this, and the importance of eradicating it.

But then its such weak storytelling later on to say 'oh yeah, it was that other guy all along'.

There's no point trying to keep on blowing up Cyberdyne in future movies. It's been done.

Hopefully there is something else up their sleeve. As it sounds like the next two are being made regardless how much this one failed.

lt waters down the impact and events of T2 every time they 'defer' the onset of Skynet.

Such a brilliant story in T2 of 'no fate' and rewriting the future became somewhat meaningless in T3 when we were told it was that 'General all along'. And it contradicted the concept of T2 of preventing Judgement Day to casually change it to 'survive it'.

I found that as quite a cop just so another movie could be made, with Judgement Day deferred for a later date instead. So much for 'no fate but what we make for ourselves'.

T3 also stuffed the timeline but that's a whole different story altogether.

Anyway, point being as a viewer, it doesn't really resonate with me when they blow up Cyberdyne again and again. It's not prevention anyway, its deferrment.

I found the concept of T2's cause and effect (ie, backwards re-engineering from the 1984 T-800) absolutely fascinating. Such care and detail was spent to explain this, and the importance of eradicating it.

But then its such weak storytelling later on to say 'oh yeah, it was that other guy all along'.

There's no point trying to keep on blowing up Cyberdyne in future movies. It's been done.

Hopefully there is something else up their sleeve. As it sounds like the next two are being made regardless how much this one failed.

yet again another reasoned and well thought out post. i reckon terminator series is like footy. its not straight forward, an odd shaped ball, ever changing rules. it continues to evolve because.....well, to keep it in the papers and relevant to people.

... Judgement Day deferred for a later date instead.

Didn't they only defer it like 7 years? So this "revolutionary" chip left behind by the first terminator - which was the catalyst for Skynet - only nudged their research forward 7 years? Yeah, very revolutionary....

yet again another reasoned and well thought out post. i reckon terminator series is like footy. its not straight forward, an odd shaped ball, ever changing rules. it continues to evolve because.....well, to keep it in the papers and relevant to people.

The footy analogy is a good one. The Terminator franchise is kind of like a magnificent footballer, who had universal respect, go on for 3-4 seasons too long.

And whilst watching him fumble, stumble and struggle through a game, you wish he retired when on top so you only have the good memories to recall. Instead of saying 'wtf am I watching??'

Didn't they only defer it like 7 years? So this "revolutionary" chip left behind by the first terminator - which was the catalyst for Skynet - only nudged their research forward 7 years? Yeah, very revolutionary....

Exactly. It just doesn't make sense. The cause and effect scenario we learned about it T1 and T2 was magnificent:

1. Without Kyle Reese, Connor never would've existed;
2. But there can be no Kyle Reese without a corresponding Terminator in 1984;
3. With no T-800 arm/chip to analyse in 1984, there is no origin for Skynet;
4. So in essence, Kyle Reese is the 'creator' of the human kind's future victory, but with him comes the means for Skynet's emergence.

What a paradox. Fascinating stuff. It's like the chicken and egg, it invokes continual discussion.

'No fate' is thrust upon us a powerful and influential premise for T2. Judgement Day can be stopped, by eliminating the research of the 1984 T-800 and the remnants of its body so no one else can engineer it.

But then along comes T3 to basically s**t on this theory and cheaply discard it. All of a sudden, the audience is meant to forget Cameron's concept, and instead believe the objective all along was to merely 'survive' Judgement Day.

But how?? How can it just be deferred from 1997 to 2003 when Cyberdyne has been blown to bits? And all chips/fragments of future technology have been destroyed??

All we get instead is a weak, one dimensional story of Skynet being a defense network the military are seeking to adopt. But * that, I'm not buying it. How can it achieve self awareness so rapidly and quickly without the original technology that originated Skynet to begin with.

T3 was a cluster * of a movie. Cameron's timeline was also blatantly disrespected. This article from a few years ago summarises it much better than I can.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/filmchat/2006/08/the-terminators-increasingly-tangled-timeline.html

Lastly, one more thing which I found ridiculous in Genisys - why does the Connor Terminator fast forward the countdown clock for Genisys but stops it at 15 minutes to go? Such a stupid thing to do and a cheap try hard way to build suspense/tension for the audience. Why not just fast forward it to 0.00 and then have Skynet wreak havoc onto the world?

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that. Straight away I knew that Cyberdyne would still be blown up - but more so, I knew that was meaningless too. Because Judgement Day is inevetible. It's a matter of when, not if.

Sorry for the long post.

TL;DR: T1 and T2 are awesome. T3 was s**t, Salvation was s**t, Genisys is s**t.

There should have been just one more film after after T2, a James Cameron directed prequel released in the late 90s, let's call it "Terminator Resistance" showing the future war in 2029 and how the Resistance wins (in a timeline in which the events of T1 happened, but not the events of T2... yet)... there would have been scenes related to the 1984 and later the 1995 bound time travelers entering their respective time displacement portals to link the movie up with T1 and T2. For the former, John ensures his existance and maintains the T1 timeloop by sending Reese back. For the latter, after learning that Skynet is sending a T-1000 to 1995, an event that was not anticipated and did not happen in John's past from his perspective, John realises that the "future is not set".... he programs the T2 T-800 to contain "detailed files" on Skynet as part of a secondary objective of the mission, to take out Cyberdyne in 1995, if/when possible, to prevent JD and the war once and for all (which would explain why the T-800 doesn't offer any objection with the Cyberdyne side mission in T2 and even encourages it - "killing Dyson may actually prevent the war").

Perhaps have had Timothy Olyphant to play Reese (Michael Bienh would have been too old to make this plausible). Arnold and Robert Patrick would have been back for T-800 and T-1000 battle scenes while using good makeup, CGI or even body doubles for the time traveler scenes as necessary. Could have even used Linda Hamilton as a cameo for a flashback scene or dream sequence (like with Bienh in the T2 deleted scene). No idea who would have played John Connor though (the cameo for the adult John Connor in T2 was only a small time TV actor/model)... Eddie Furlong from T2 would have been too young and not the right fit anyway... maybe Sylvester Stallone so we could have a Sly vs Arnold fight on the big screen!

All in hindsight I guess.

I reckon no time travel at all.. maybe just a scene where Connor sends Reese back, but it all takes place in 2029 or whenever. Should have thrown the kitchen sink at Cameron to do a full on proper future war movie and leave it at that, could have been one of the greatest trilogies of all time.

I reckon no time travel at all.. maybe just a scene where Connor sends Reese back, but it all takes place in 2029 or whenever. Should have thrown the kitchen sink at Cameron to do a full on proper future war movie and leave it at that, could have been one of the greatest trilogies of all time.

I agree... a third movie with its main focus about the future war with some scenes showing the time travelers going back to link with T1 and T2... but it all takes place in 2029. Final scene could have been the alternate T2 ending with grandma Sarah in Washington

T1 and T2 are great on their own but a TFuture movie to cap off a trilogy was always implied that it was going to be made eventually. Cameron being focused on Titanic in the late 90s probably burned him out I reckon and lost interest in going after the rights to do a third Terminator, only to leave it other people to do it which got us the inferior sequels we have today.

Last edited:
images

Excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did like The Sarah Connor Chronicles was bummed when they didn't renew the series.

Yeah, undoubtedly it suffered from season 1 being 9 episodes and season 2 22 episodes, there was a lot of boring, bad filler, but the good episodes and good moments were still top quality Terminator better than the moves post T2.

Yeah unfortunately Cameron is putting all of his eggs in the Avatar basket which is a shame for such a good filmmaker... but still, he will have the rights back in 2019. Let's see where it goes from there. I don't see the studios trying to eek out a few more dollars out of it though. They'll just sit on it til then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back