Society & Culture Terrible baby names

Remove this Banner Ad

For some reason that totally reminded me of a kid I went to high school with that I had totally forgotten about....

His name was Jihad -

This was pre- 9/11 and I had never even heard the word Jihad before so never thought anything about it - He copped a bit of crap at school because he was a bit weird and one day in gym class his shorts didn't hide the fact that he was a bit 'excited' about something - kids are assholes and will use anything like that - But he never copped crap for his name.. or even the fact his was (probably?) Muslim ? ? - In retrospect I assume he was but I honestly reckon I hadn't even heard of the word before 9/11...

Anyway.. For some reason he skipped year 12 (2001) and came back and finished high school in 2002 (my brother was still at school) - Not sure if he started coping crap for his name after that or not...

fair chance though he has maybe copped a bit of heat for it since, or any other kids out there with the same name these days would probably be hating it...

My mum was telling me that a woman rang up Alan Jones and was saying that her daughter was copping a lot of teasing at school for her name, which is Isis.

I remember a short indian girl working at Dan Murphys whose name was "Hardeep" - mate saw it and whispered in my ear "how do you think she wants it?" lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mum was telling me that a woman rang up Alan Jones and was saying that her daughter was copping a lot of teasing at school for her name, which is Isis.

I remember a short indian girl working at Dan Murphys whose name was "Hardeep" - mate saw it and whispered in my ear "how do you think she wants it?" lol
Pity he only said it to you. Has all the makings of very short AFS entry otherwise.

Teasing at school would be the least of his worries. It would have been very hard for him to land a job.

Yeah no doubt...

If my memory serves me right, he had a 'rest' in year 12 to work in his family store and came back to finish a year later... That sounds a bit odd but at the same time it made kinda sense. He was an extremely hard worker at school - He was generally in the higher streamed classes in maths and science, but he would spend lunch/recess/free periods in with teachers doing extra work all the time. I got the feeling he wasn't a 'naturally' gifted student where answers came easy, rather he had a real strong work ethic and studied all the time... I think he got burnt out before year 12 so had year off and worked in the family store,... whatever that was...

but yeah.. would be interesting to see what he's up to now and if his name has caused him greif...

If I were to name my son Mathieu despite not having a drop of French blood in my bones would I be monumental bellend?

This couple was also on the Today show not that long ago sooking about it...