Society/Culture : Terrible news: 18,000 children confirmed dead today

Remove this Banner Ad

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
depends on the jurisdiction, not sure about commonwealth law to be honest. but not sure how that's relevant to the discussion though? you can be imprisoned for not paying fines, but that doesn't mean you can be thrown in jail for not registering your dog.

Oh well, at least it would only be poor people getting thrown in prison then.

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
UNICEF Executive Director, in Third Committee, Says 18000 ...
www.un.org/press/en/2013/gashc4071.doc.htm

Oct 16, 2013 - Yet, 18,000 children died every day, mostly from preventable causes

:(
MENTAL health patients are dying from preventable physical illnesses at the “appalling” estimated rate of 9000 excess deaths a year, it can be revealed, as new evidence suggests they receive fewer life-saving treatments and wait longer for them than other Australians.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s-earlier-report/story-e6frg8y6-1227132368477

people with mental illness were less likely to get appropriate surgery even taking into account the stage at which they had presented.“They are less likely to get chemotherapy, they are less likely to get radiotherapy, and they have got longer waits to actually get appropriate surgery

9000 thousand Australian die from the bigotry of Australians, every year.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
clearly you haven't grasped this discussion at all, lol. we're talking about decisions of the australian federal government.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
clearly you haven't grasped this discussion at all, lol. we're talking about decisions of the australian federal government.

And you are talking about supporting a law that would bring us closer to China than what has historically been the case under common law.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
you realise this already happens, yeah?

Yes, but you realise that it's a very recent thing that flies in the face of several hundred years of common law, yeah?

And you are supporting not just retaining the prosecution of offensive speech, but extending to any kind of speech you personally disagree with.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes, but you realise that it's a very recent thing that flies in the face of several hundred years of common law, yeah?

so? you realise that common law isn't some magic phenomenon?

And you are supporting not just retaining the prosecution of offensive speech, but extending to any kind of speech you personally disagree with.

actually what i said was i didn't necessarily have a problem with people being prosecuted for their speech. i dont believe in an absolute right to free speech. so what? i can be punished for calling you a child molester; are you against slander/libel laws too?

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
actually what i said was i didn't necessarily have a problem with people being prosecuted for their speech. i dont believe in an absolute right to free speech. so what? i can be punished for calling you a child molester; are you against slander/libel laws too?

Slander/Libel laws are a result of tort law. That is they only apply when a person is unequivocally harmed. That's a fair bit different than just prosecuting people for saying things that you just plain don't like.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Slander/Libel laws are a result of tort law. That is they only apply when a person is unequivocally harmed. That's a fair bit different than just prosecuting people for saying things that you just plain don't like.

parents not vaccinating their kids cause unequivocal harm.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
parents not vaccinating their kids cause unequivocal harm.

Sure, but talking about not vaccinating their kids does not harm anyone unless they actually go through with it.

There's a difference between saying "I wish somebody would punch that guy in the face" and actually punching the guy in the face.

There's a big difference between freedom of speech and freedom of action.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
sure, I understand the differences. I still wouldn't lose any sleep if we fined her for telling lies, and wouldn't let her leave the country til she paid up.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
no it isn't. it's a ban on travel.

Much as I hate myself for saying it, in this instance, I agree with pokerspiv.

Given that whoever wants to hear what this woman says can easily do so through the magic of the Internet, a travel ban seems pointless. Societies should be robust enough to accommodate differing points of view; Charlie Haribo just proves this.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
fair enough. I am not deaf to the opposing point of view. it just doesn't bother me when people are "punished" for being *******s. everyone's obsessed over "rights" yet never responsibilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back