Toast Tex on Free Agency, and the Americanisation of our Australian game

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

I knew Tex wasn't a big fan of free agency after earlier comments so I wasn't worried for a second when Caro teased it on her 5AA interview. But bad luck to those few on the Port board who were getting a bit excited, probably should of held back on the celebrations this time after they narrowly missed out on Lance Franklin last year...

Tex will be the last of the mentioned players to go, as long as we don't just assume that his loyalty is enough and try to be cheap and not pay him what he deserves.

I can see Tex and Sloane following Mark Ricciuto influence and sticking around the club for the next 25 years and longer.

However, I think Danger may stay and play 300 games for the club, end up a champion with the club but will end up back in Melbourne with the media or as an assistant coach.

I think Tex and Sloane end up on the board (or something like that).

Too many things are just adding up that the 3 will stay together and be 1 club players.

I can see Tex and Sloane following Mark Ricciuto influence and sticking around the club for the next 25 years and longer.

However, I think Danger may stay and play 300 games for the club, end up a champion with the club but will end up back in Melbourne with the media or as an assistant coach.

I think Tex and Sloane end up on the board (or something like that).

Too many things are just adding up that the 3 will stay together and be 1 club players.

If Danger leaves after 300 games, a Brownlow and a flag, I'd wish him all the best if he went back to Melbourne, the Ukraine or the moon.

If Danger leaves after 300 games, a Brownlow and a flag, I'd wish him all the best if he went back to Melbourne, the Ukraine or the moon.

Look, I didn't mean he would leave and go to another club. Just move back to Melbourne after he retired.

Who'd leave a club for another club after 300 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a shame that none of the "journalists" in Adelaide can do the research and or hold a decent one one one interview with a player to get such a good story. Everything written on Adelaidenow/Advertiser is just taken from press conferences and club releases, with a bit of bile thrown in from Rooch.

I have pretty much given up on Adelaidenow/Tiser due to the poor writing and lack of depth in anything Rooch, Capel or Feldstadt write. Am a regular on TheAge site now, heck I can tell you where the best Kebabs are in Melbourne are. The snippets we get on the two SA clubs by Caro are gold.

It is interesting to see that Roo, Tex, Danger and Sloane are all in business together. I love it and think it's great in that it is something keeping them here and together. However I don't know if it is great for a board member to be in business with players. worse if he becomes chairman. I don't know if anyone else thinks that or the fact that it's outside of the club means it is not something they would be thinking much about

It is interesting to see that Roo, Tex, Danger and Sloane are all in business together. I love it and think it's great in that it is something keeping them here and together. However I don't know if it is great for a board member to be in business with players. worse if he becomes chairman. I don't know if anyone else thinks that or the fact that it's outside of the club means it is not something they would be thinking much about

Peter Hurley has been guiding our players into the Hospitality Industry for years. Never been an issue before.

While I think the players are entitled to try and maximise their income from the game, there has to be a sense of balance to the arrangement. I do not like the same premiership winning clubs each year buying players, its too easy for them because they have a sales pitch. This makes it an unbalanced negotiation because they can easily entice players hungry for success away from the struggling clubs. What happens is it turns into a vicious cycle and these clubs who try and build keep losing players to the top teams. Sure its not always the case with Eddie Betts coming to Adelaide, but I do not see how it is fair and reasonable for Geelong to be able to bid for Dangerfield and Frawley while Sydney lured Franklin away. If it was Brisbane who lured Franklin and St Kilda or Melbourne who snared Dangerfield etc I wouldn't have a problem. Premiership teams of the last 5 years should be excluded from the process and be forced to just deal in the draft for their players. If the AFL does not do anything to wind back Free Agency I can honestly see Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong sharing the premierships for the next decade. Its just silly to allow teams who fluked being in the right place at the right time with Free Agency to gain an unfair long term advantage.

Great interview with Tex, one of the few players who speaks his mind. He can see how Free Agency will create a two tiered competition and has a dislike of how the AFL seem to follow US trends.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-clubs-says-taylor-walker-20140725-zwjah.html

Looks like any fears (and cheers from Tealsters) of Tex wanting out are unfounded.
yeah someone posted this in another thread somewhere, but worth drawing attention to.

makes a lot of great points but misses the mark on concussion IMO. The AFL isn't just trying to cover their arses because some guy in America went on a suing spree, concussion does present a MAJOR concern to players long-term health and I think its good that they're taking steps (which are relatively painless, lets be honest) to protect players and in doing so the future of the game.

a million likes for being against the franchising out of clubs and the free movement of players though. The strength of football is in the bond between the club and the community and thankfully that still exists, just. The AFL can't afford to forget that.

makes a lot of great points but misses the mark on concussion IMO. The AFL isn't just trying to cover their arses because some guy in America went on a suing spree, concussion does present a MAJOR concern to players long-term health and I think its good that they're taking steps (which are relatively painless, lets be honest) to protect players and in doing so the future of the game.

Probably thinks Tippett deserved a few more punches to the head

Love it, love Tex, love the loyalty. You have to get the feeling that there is a flag in there somewhere with Tex, Danger, Sloane and Talia as the leadership group. Walker makes me proud to be an AFC supporter and that's something that Tiprat will never do for Sydney.

Really like his maturation. Still a lad, but not a dickhead - Fev has been a brilliant example of the path to not follow for a bloke like Tex.

These types of characters add something to a group that your modern marked from birth leaders simply can't.

Exactly right. Love the fact he's a real lad with some personality, but in no way is he a tosser like fev. Knows when to be serious and knows when to have a laugh

Players needed more power. Fans expect players to show loyalty, even though clubs and fans show f3ck all loyalty to their players once they perform badly. Also, betts is a product of free agency, we would be playing petrenko without him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back