Nostradamus Lives Tex to stay, Dangerfield to leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, 1.4mil over 2 years.
Then a massive drop over 3-4 years so it evens out at around 800-850k a year, ergo, what he would be on if he was always a Geelong player.
Believe me, and I've said it elsewhere, Geelong WILL NOT sell the farm in a trade to get him, they are after him moreso BECAUSE he is a FA, they also don't believe the Crows will match.
Yes but you can't write that into any contract or it is breach of AFL rules.

Has to be same terms...
Exactly the same.
Same base payments.
Same length.
Same ASA's.
Same incentives.
Same.

Not quite.
Same length
Same Base payments
Same Total ASA's
Same Total incentives.

The word you missed was total. You don't have to match a schedule of payments, that's an internal club issue.

Or to coin a well known phrase, "same same, but different".

Here's the link to the info.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-free-agency-how-it-works-20121001-26ue3.html
http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

Last edited:

Not quite.
Same length
Same Base payments
Same Total ASA's
Same Total incentives.

The word you missed was total. You don't have to match a schedule of payments, that's an internal club issue.

Or to coin a well known phrase, "same same, but different".

Here's the link to the info.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-free-agency-how-it-works-20121001-26ue3.html
http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency
MATCHING OFFERS

A contract offer is matched if the football payments and ASAs are equivalent under the offer and the contract proposed by the player’s current club.

To qualify as a matching offer, the player’s current club must make an offer on the same terms as the new offer tabled by the player including

Total only applies to third party agreements and to contract escalators not the base of the contract.
The final paragraph is the important thing. If a club makes a Two year offer of $1.3m per year the original club has to match that exactly, they can pay $900k one year then $1.7m the next

MATCHING OFFERS

A contract offer is matched if the football payments and ASAs are equivalent under the offer and the contract proposed by the player’s current club.

To qualify as a matching offer, the player’s current club must make an offer on the same terms as the new offer tabled by the player including

The final paragraph is the important thing. If a club makes a Two year offer of $1.3m per year the original club has to match that exactly, they can pay $900k one year then $1.7m the next

Ok, so you're agreeing with me. If the club can match the offer on one hand, and then pay something completely different (total the same, but each year can be different) for Salary Cap purposes, it doesn't matter. The issue is total amount over the same number of years.

Fitting into the salary cap is the only thing that matters here.

The articles I linked to clearly say that a club can match an offer, and then "for Salary cap purpose" pay equal amounts each year (or you would assume the club could front-end or back-end the contract in a different way, as long as it fits in the Clubs Salary Cap). In that situation, the only issue is total payments over the same number of years.

Last edited:
Ok, so you're agreeing with me. If the club can match the offer on one hand, and then pay something completely different (total the same, but each year can be different) for Salary Cap purposes, it doesn't matter. The issue is total amount over the same number of years.

Fitting into the salary cap is the only thing that matters here.

The articles I linked to clearly say that a club can match an offer, and then "for Salary cap purpose" pay equal amounts each year (or you would assume the club could front-end or back-end the contract in a different way, as long as it fits in the Clubs Salary Cap). In that situation, the only issue is total payments over the same number of years.
I'd just give up. This conversation has been going around in circles in the Geelong Danger thread.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Has to be same terms...
Exactly the same.
Same base payments.
Same length.
Same ASA's.
Same incentives.
Same.
When a team matches the offer the issue of ASAs will cause the AFL some issues. No club can arrange ASAs for a player and so it would be against the AFL rules for a club to match that for a player. Adelaide got done with Tippett because the AFL said we spoke to Balfours about giving Tippett an ASA.

When a team matches the offer the issue of ASAs will cause the AFL some issues. No club can arrange ASAs for a player and so it would be against the AFL rules for a club to match that for a player. Adelaide got done with Tippett because the AFL said we spoke to Balfours about giving Tippett an ASA.

Cleric, there is an ASA cap also. What we tried to do for Tippett was outside of that.

ASA limit is about $1m per club.

Have a read of this. It's the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
http://aflagents.com.au/images/uploads/CBA_-_2012-2016_FINAL.pdf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger said he wanted to go to a team that would offer finals opportunities. Not sure why he would then want to go to Geelong. If he is a man of his word he wont.

That's what it started as and then it turned into being close to family. Not sure where/how it morphed, but haven't heard the success line mentioned for a bit. At least not in the media.

Cleric, there is an ASA cap also. What we tried to do for Tippett was outside of that.

ASA limit is about $1m per club.

Have a read of this. It's the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
http://aflagents.com.au/images/uploads/CBA_-_2012-2016_FINAL.pdf
But also the AFL has said the clubs are not allowed to arrange player ASAs, as obviously this could be used by the club as a way to pay the player outside the cap.
So if a club is not allowed to arrange ASAs, and is given a contract to match which includes 100k a year with a ASA, how is the club going to match that? They wont be allowed to go around asking compaines if they can give the player an ASA as it breaks AFL rules. Unless the AFL are saying that it must be added into the price the club has to match (ie pay 100k a year more than the contract from the other club). But with the AFL saying clubs cannot arrange ASAs, how the hell can the club the player wants to go to as a FA put forward an offer to the player that includes ASAs?

Someone posted this on our board..
Its Adelaide's 2016 calendar.....
NMhqp2N.jpg
cj66FEd.jpg

Don't see how Moggs Creek is relevant. Why would Danger go to a club that is old about to rebuild not as good media opportunities (something up his alley), not on the upward trajectory? I don't buy that when he could go Pies, Dogs, Tiges, Hawks and just be a couple hours drive from home. I think Geelong are far from certainties.

But also the AFL has said the clubs are not allowed to arrange player ASAs, as obviously this could be used by the club as a way to pay the player outside the cap.
So if a club is not allowed to arrange ASAs, and is given a contract to match which includes 100k a year with a ASA, how is the club going to match that? They wont be allowed to go around asking compaines if they can give the player an ASA as it breaks AFL rules. Unless the AFL are saying that it must be added into the price the club has to match (ie pay 100k a year more than the contract from the other club). But with the AFL saying clubs cannot arrange ASAs, how the hell can the club the player wants to go to as a FA put forward an offer to the player that includes ASAs?

Sorry, but I don't think you're correct. Where did you hear that the clubs can not arrange ASAs? If you have a link, that would be great.

The CBA clearly states differently:

11.1 Additional Services Agreements
(a) A Player, or an Associate of a Player which has been licensed to use the Player’s Image, may contract with an AFL Club and/or Sponsor of an AFL Club to derive payments as a direct result of bona fide promotions/marketing by that Player in accordance with the Guidelines for Additional Services Agreements (as outlined in Schedule H) and the definition of Football Payments. Such arrangements are separate and distinct from the Standard Playing Contract which regulates the employment of a Player to play Australian Football for an AFL Club. Payments made pursuant to a marketing contract shall be in addition to and separate from payments made to the Player for performance of services as a professional footballer and shall not be taken into account in calculating Total Player Payments except as provided in clause 11.2(c).

Someone posted this on our board..
Its Adelaide's 2016 calendar.....
NMhqp2N.jpg
cj66FEd.jpg

Didn't the 2013 calendar include Kurt Tippett?

Also, I'm curious if the Richmond poster has access to all calendars? Does Patty feature in another Clubs' calendar, or is he sitting out next year?

Don't see how Moggs Creek is relevant. Why would Danger go to a club that is old about to rebuild not as good media opportunities (something up his alley), not on the upward trajectory? I don't buy that when he could go Pies, Dogs, Tiges, Hawks and just be a couple hours drive from home. I think Geelong are far from certainties.

Because he wants to go home?
He could be an hour and a quarter-hour and a half round trip to Geelong, or 5 hours round trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back