News TEX - captain no more

How many weeks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For me its clear that the deciding factor was that Tex has the biggest influence over the group

that's why he is Captain, smart decision
653332-89d3ae1a-9c39-11e4-94c2-d4edd815b701.jpg

Walsh has no prior affiliation with the AFC, but to recognize what the actual thread and soul of the club means to Walker and vice-versa, tells me a lot about his football IQ.

This isn't just about appointing Walker captain. Some of the things Walsh has said tells me he gets not just what makes a football club tick, but what makes the Adelaide Football Club tick. These are two very important distinctions.

I'm pretty sure his favourite sentence starter won't be "At Geelong....."

I agree with all of this - however, I'm pretty sure I've already heard him say "At West Coast..." a couple of times in his short tenure :p

I'm wondering if VB took it as a slight of his leadership that with a new captain, Walsh said that we want to be an authentic footy club ?
Or aimed solely at the previous admin.

I'm pretty sure it's all fairly pedestrian.

Nobody likes being stood down, but NVB is a mature man and after a discussion he'd be perfectly fine with it.

Danger and Sloane both have leadership aspirations, and they'd be disappointed not to be named captains, but again, they're mature men and after a discussion they'd be perfectly fine with it.

Having that discussion - man to man - is what Walsh is referring to. And, as expected, everything is fine after having had it.

The man talk would have been Danger and Sloane.

Not VB - him not getting it was a no brainer.

Danger and Sloane were the ones given the reins last year and I'm sure each expected to be the next captain. Would have been floored by this decision.

That's not to say they are whingeing or sooking about it now but would have been a bitter pill initially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This still wont shut people up but it should

“I was part of the leadership group discussion when Phil’s final decision was communicated and the feedback from the players, without going into detail, was positive. It was pro-active, it was constructive (and) it was about ensuring Tex was going to be the best possible captain.

Fagan also said out-of-contract pair Patrick Dangerfield and Rory Sloane were among the first to congratulate Walker was the final call was made.

“They were really supportive, they’re quality individuals, they’re mates of ‘Tex’ and they’re supportive of whatever decision the coach needs to make.”

This decision ticks lots of boxes as described and it also ticks the marketing box

In the presser Tex said he wants the supporters to be proud to be the 19th Man

Imagine Round 1 this year: new hardnut coach, new game plan, harder edge - and Tex leading them out onto the field.

Compare that with VB leading them out. Nice guy, good skipper..but nup.

Even Sloane or Danger. We love them, we'd be thrilled to get behind them - but Tex has something they don't have.

He's a lifelong Crows supporter who lives and breathes for the club. There is not a shred of doubt as to his goals, his plans, his passion, his love for the club, his love for the supporters, his commitment.

A hardnut coach, a Crows first and always leader, a new style of play, a single objective

It all says: we are back

The crowd will go ballistic

The man talk would have been Danger and Sloane.

Not VB - him not getting it was a no brainer.

Danger and Sloane were the ones given the reins last year and I'm sure each expected to be the next captain. Would have been floored by this decision.

That's not to say they are whingeing or sooking about it now but would have been a bitter pill initially.
It could have been danger and Sloane saying why has VB been removed? All will come out eventually.

Wonder if I can blend a crow with Walker's face... better get on it. Walker was my definite favourite since he started playing for the club, but Sloane and Smith crept up there too. Now with this news I think he's firmly secured as my favourite player of all time at the club along with the god who wore #23 :D

i love Tex but to be honest not over excited with this appointment as feel that both Danger and especially Sloane would have provided a better leader and face of our club . See Tex as one of the boys that lighten things up rather than setting examples of professionalism on and off field .

Both Danger and Sloan were underwhelming as co captains last season, the non decision by the club - we will keep VB, but we don't know if we want Rory or Paddy may have contributed to this ie. neither of them felt like they could take the captaincy and make it their own.

Paddy will continue being the face of the club, he is a favourite on the Footy show and does plenty of TV interviews.

Back