Toast Thank Goodness for Second Chances/ I hate to lose to....

Remove this Banner Ad

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
We might have to wait a few weeks at least to thump the Dawks and the Shockers, potentially in the finals, but here is the weeks ahead:

- Richmond
- Footscray
- Geelong
- Port Adelaide
- West Coast

Richmond caught us coming off a shocker against Geelong, who blew us out of the water early. I have been waiting since 2013 to beat them, and one could argue we should have been them earlier in the year. Richmond might have beaten us inevitably, but it should not have happened this year, so to know we have another chance to possibly burn them and put a dent in their finals aspirations, soothes my deep, fresh wounds.

Geelong is another story, and I wanted to highlight this as a "I hate to lose to" thread. Where Geelong is concerned, I want to exert some of the recent dominance we have had over the top two teams in the competition. With the same pressure, transition from defense into attack, and versatile paths to goal, does anyone think we are a chance to beat the Cats in their recent, or future form?

For the Bulldogs, last year was a major upset, and the pre-season was a complete hiding. Footscray have not won a flag for sixty years, and I do not think that drought will be broken any time soon. Given, the Doggies are an impressive young team, but have some relative unknowns. From what I saw against Carlton at Etihad, they had their chances, and the Dogs never broke their backs. What do others think about Footscray, and their sudden domination over us?

Finally, Port Adelaide. A long rivalry, and they caused an upset at AAMI in 2013, and then an even bigger upset in the Elimination Final. I just cannot stand Port Adelaide beating us, with their constant whinging about how they had the black and white first yadda yadda. The SANFL is a different competition, and you came into the AFL one hundred years after the rest of us. We earned the stripes with 15 flags. You won against an aging Brisbane team under expectations of a four peat.

I have an inkling we might do Port Adelaide, but I would love a win on Thursday to make the weekend an enjoyable one, and give us some confidence going into the West Coast game. Our forward press, man on man, mosquito fleet and champagne football skill should allow us to get the job done. Still there is doubt and I want to vanquish it.

The West Coast game presents an interesting opportunity, particularly in the confines of Etihad, to defeat a top four team that annihilated an injury ravaged shadow of ourselves in Perth last year. I believe other than Carlton, West Coast is the only other team to have close to a winning record against us, and it is time to reconcile that. 2-2 from the first four after the bye? I will gobble that up!

Lastly, Essendon, Carlton, and Melbourne are chances to drive the ball home. Shocked with what has happened to Essendon since Anzac Day, especially getting done by Saints by 110 points :eek:

Sydney for me is an unknown, but again pressure and transition, and particularly taking our opportunities will be key. That will come with confidence hopefully if form is maintained.

Looking forward to hearing what people say about winning against some of the aforementioned arch rivals, instead of having to wait until 2016!!! :D

There are no more easy games, no matter how low a club on any given day they can do what St Kilda did today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back