Toast Thank you Adam Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

Great coach and have enjoyed the season again. 2014 was the first year in a long time I didn't watch every game and that was at the start of the season when I thought it was a bit Groundhog Day but from what I saw he was trying things and the eventual introduction of McGovern made things bright again.
First coach since Malthouse where there appears to be a definite plan and team selection isn't that much of a mystery.

Look forward to next year.

He had much more talent at his disposal in the first couple of years. Simmo, like Ken Judge, inherited a list that was in horrible shape save for a few star players. This list could have finished as low as 13th again under the wrong gameplan. Instead he has turned us into Grand finalists after just 24 months in charge.
Malthouse definitely had more talent to work with but he also had a lot more obstacles

We were playing away games at Victoria park, whiten oval, windy hill and Morabbin. Eagles crowds get criticised for being hostile now but we weren't even close to what the ferals in those place were

We didn't have the training base like we do now and we had to fight tooth and nail for every inch of ground we needed the VFL to concede -like the right to a home final in 1991

Simpson has been fantastic in his first two years and he may very well end up our best ever coach but he isn't there yet

Simpson was the guy I wanted and he's been amazing. I'm not sure how we'll go from here because its never easy to get to a grand final. I just hope we can get our full list fit, get some more midfield talent either via the draft or developing our young guys like Cavka, Duggan, Adamson, Waterman etc, and then get back there and win it all. No guarantees in football though.

Made a strategic change at half time and widened the zone right out, and it was telling because suddenly hawthorn couldn't just carve us up along the boundary. Nearly got us back in it - genuine gun coach.

Yep their scoring dried up, pity we didn't settle and put scoreboard pressure on the game to keep ourselves in it. The drop in confidence after not taking our chances meant that Simmo didn't have much left to play with. The opposite of 'no plan B" Wooha (still love ya woosh)

Made a strategic change at half time and widened the zone right out, and it was telling because suddenly hawthorn couldn't just carve us up along the boundary. Nearly got us back in it - genuine gun coach.

Great observation.
All is not lost.

Gun. Couldn't be more pleased when we initially signed him. The boys couldn't get it done for him yesterday, but no doubt he'll take us back there again soon. He'll raise the cup for us one day.

Great job Simmo.

When you got here two years ago the club was spiralling out of control, playing finals just twice in six years.

He's developing a mediocre list into a premiership one.

Big fan, cheers cob

well done Simmo:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I`ve thoroughly enjoyed the WCE season which has been fandidllyastic :) thank you for giving us fans so many glorious moments this year .

Next year we WILL take out the 2016 Premiership ..

If I've learnt anything from watching Simmo over the last two years it is this - he is acutely aware of where we are at as a team, he knows our strengths, and our weaknesses, he knows which players to back in and which ones to needle, he has a plan, he doesn't over react, he is as competitive as any coach we've had (even in comparison to Mick and Woosha so that's no faint praise) and he has the faith of the players

His season was one of the great coaching efforts despite today not being his finest hour - he was outcoached and the team didn't perform but he will learn from it and will spend the off season not only stewing on it but planning on making us better in 2016
Perfect. Close thread

What a professional. Really bringing the club fresh perspective and a harder edge. The way we play under his tutelage has me backing us in to give 100%, and it's a shame that we may have missed an opportunity (albeit against a rampant Hawks). But I genuinely reckon we'll be back next year for another crack. Legend!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps most of all, he has brought out the best in so many of our players, both on field and off field.

It's not been consistent from everyone, but some of the games played by Shep, Wellingham, Hill, Cripps, Schofield, Sinclair and even veterans like Priddis and Butler are well above and beyond what I thought we'd ever see from them post 2014.

Tough to find fault in a coach that lands you in 2nd place and a GF, especially with a team that most people thought needed at least 2 seasons before they could be a top 4 prospect.

Too late sadly. After North successfully employed width to go around the zone a week earlier - we should have planned for this Hawks response from the get-go.

Out web was set up poorly - too narrow and close to the boundary line - from the outset and it cost us the game by half way through the second quarter. Lack of intensity (where the bloody hell was the "time to hunt" mantra?!?!), defensive pressure, composure and skill execution compounded the strategic failure.

Felt good about his appointment from day 1. Seems like a great bloke and the players obviously believe in him.

Such an impressive coach. Always seems to be upfront and honest with everything he says or does. Upholds true family values, respect and seems to be a true motivator. I really hope the players respond and give him more next season. Just hearing him briefly speak in the wash up of the grand final, you can hear he's hurting and how much he wants to improve as a club.

It was really tough seeing him alone in that picture. Looked absolutely gutted.

He is hurting big time. Love you Simmo.
CQiBhkhWIAA08mo.jpg

Hasn't done a thing wrong. Thought the on field direction was pretty easy to spot through 2014 and success has come quicker than i expected.

Look forward to seeing him make apt list management decisions with Crazy Vozzo and Co this off season. Building some sustained success and the on field excellence that this off field powerhouse club deserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back